The Moon Is...The Sun's Dream (1992) - Park Chan-wook's First Movie Finally on DVD!

DeathFuMaster

DeathFuMaster

I'm looking for any reviews or ways to watch Chan-wook Park's first two feature films: "The Moon Is The Sun's Dream" and "Saminjo (also heard this called Trio)"

I've seen everything from JSA up and I'm really curious about Park's first two efforts. I really can't believe that no distribution company in the US has tried to release these two as cash ins. I've heard "Moon" is great and "Saminjo" is good, but I'd like to know for myself. So if you have seen it, I would love to hear your opinion, but I'm really looking for a way to see these films. Feel free to PM me if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help! You guys are the best!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm looking for any reviews or ways to watch Chan-wook Park's first two feature films: "The Moon Is The Sun's Dream" and "Saminjo (also heard this called Trio)"

I've seen everything from JSA up and I'm really curious about Park's first two efforts. I really can't believe that no distribution company in the US has tried to release these two as cash ins. I've heard "Moon" is great and "Saminjo" is good, but I'd like to know for myself. So if you have seen it, I would love to hear your opinion, but I'm really looking for a way to see these films. Feel free to PM me if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help! You guys are the best!

I also have wondered about these 2 films and if they are worth hunting for.

DeathFuMaster

I guess it isn't surprising that no one seems to have information about this. I was hoping they had a U.K. or Australian release that I could get a copy of. Maybe Park's next American film will gain him more of a following in America and prompt a company to cash in by releasing these. It's really odd that no one has even released fan subs or anything for them.

I have managed to find out through KMDB that these films were only on 35mm and VHS. So even in Korea, it seems like they haven't had a DVD release. The VHS is gonna be pretty hard to find, even on the internet. The other option is going to KOFA and renting it! I can't believe that even South Korean hasn't put these on DVD yet.....

I found a small segment of both films on youtube. The uploader mentioned in the comments that Park doesn't want these films released. Or at least that is what it seems like he is saying (english isn't his first language). I guess maybe Park doesn't think they are his best work and doesn't want people to see them? I guess I get that, but honestly they are already released and people have seen them.

Here are the two youtube links:

jZfk_wUWTXw

mIsPkG7QI3s

I have managed to find out through KMDB that these films were only on 35mm and VHS. So even in Korea, it seems like they haven't had a DVD release. The VHS is gonna be pretty hard to find, even on the internet. The other option is going to KOFA and renting it! I can't believe that even South Korean hasn't put these on DVD yet.....

There are so many good Korean movies without a DVD release. I'd say that's the case for most of the movies made prior to the late 90's. A lot of them only show up every once in a while on Korean Television -- or worst case scenario -- the KMDB is the only place with a copy.

It was only written, and not directed by Chan Wook Park, but I saw The Humanist (2001) recently. It's an extremely dark movie about a hostage plan gone wrong. I was expecting some level of bleakness because it's labeled as a black comedy, but none of the characters end up having any redeemable qualities. Park's films always have characters full of faults, but in The Humanist, there's an extra focus on showing the depravity of every member of society.

I really enjoy black comedies but I can't find a reason to recommend this film. Again, Chan Wook Park is only a writer so it has none of his visual flair or trademark style. Also, it's impossible to sympathize with anyone in the film when they all act like a piece of dirt. If I were to compare it to similar Korean films of the time, I'd say it's like a lesser, poor man's No.3 (1997).

EDIT: Good news. VHS rips of Park's first two films are available online.

DeathFuMaster
There are so many good Korean movies without a DVD release. I'd say that's the case for most of the movies made prior to the late 90's. A lot of them only show up every once in a while on Korean Television -- or worst case scenario -- the KMDB is the only place with a copy.

It was only written, and not directed by Chan Wook Park, but I saw The Humanist (2001) recently. It's an extremely dark movie about a hostage plan gone wrong. I was expecting some level of bleakness because it's labeled as a black comedy, but none of the characters end up having any redeemable qualities. Park's films always have characters full of faults, but in The Humanist, there's an extra focus on showing the depravity of every member of society.

I really enjoy black comedies but I can't find a reason to recommend this film. Again, Chan Wook Park is only a writer so it has none of his visual flair or trademark style. Also, it's impossible to sympathize with anyone in the film when they all act like a piece of dirt. If I were to compare it to similar Korean films of the time, I'd say it's like a lesser, poor man's No.3 (1997).

EDIT: Good news. VHS rips of Park's first two films are available online.

Interesting. I guess Korea was pretty behind on the distribution side of things in the early 90's. I can't even really remember seeing a Korean film (outside of kung fu productions) until the early 2000's. So I guess independent films such as these wouldn't get much exposure either. I'm working on watching all of the stuff I haven't seen that Park has been involved with, so I will watch the Humanist eventually. Too bad it was disappointing! Guess I will have to power through it!

That is great news! I wasn't able to find them, even after some hardcore Googling. Could you send me a PM with how I can find them? It would be greatly appreciated!

One Armed Boxer

Some very surprising and great news - on July 4th Park Chan-wook's first movie 'The Moon Is...The Sun's Dream' will finally get a DVD release! Needless to say my pre-order is already in!

http://www.yesasia.com/global/the-moon-is-the-suns-dream-dvd-korea-version/1035926751-0-0-0-en/info.html

DeathFuMaster
Some very surprising and great news - on July 4th Park Chan-wook's first movie 'The Moon Is...The Sun's Dream' will finally get a DVD release! Needless to say my pre-order is already in!

http://www.yesasia.com/global/the-moon-is-the-suns-dream-dvd-korea-version/1035926751-0-0-0-en/info.html

I have been anticipating this ever since it was aired on TV in Korea for the first time a little while ago! I'm glad my hunch was correct!

I would jump all over this if it had English subtitles, but I guess I'll wait for someone to sub it. Shouldn't be too much to hope for now that it is readily available! I would also buy it if it gets an official release that is subbed.

Now that the transfer is done, maybe someone in the US or UK will pick it up for distribution.

One Armed Boxer
I would jump all over this if it had English subtitles, but I guess I'll wait for someone to sub it. Shouldn't be too much to hope for now that it is readily available! I would also buy it if it gets an official release that is subbed.

Damn, if it wasn't for you pointing it out I would never have even noticed that the release isn't listing English subtitles. That's very unusual for a Korean DVD to come without English subs, I hope it's just an oversight on the product details.

DeathFuMaster
Damn, if it wasn't for you pointing it out I would never have even noticed that the release isn't listing English subtitles. That's very unusual for a Korean DVD to come without English subs, I hope it's just an oversight on the product details.

I thought it was pretty strange as well. But maybe because it's an older movie? I'm still holding out hopes that since the transfer is done that someone will sub it or put it out.

Archived