A Go Go 67

HyperDrive

It's not a martial arts movie but a rock n' roll movie instead. Here's a blurb I found in one of the booklets included with the great cd "Pop Yeh Yeh: Psychedelic Rock from Singapore and Malaysia - 1964-1970":

One of the definitive films of this era, the Shaw Brothers' A Go Go 67, shows just how important it was to young people to be able to dress in the latest fashions, fall in love with whoever they pleased, and sing in rock-and-roll bands. The leading characters of this film took a big gamble to be part of the new music scene, and their parents are somewhat comically portrayed as being horrified and, at the same time astonished by it all. (This film was re-released by LIFE Entertainment under license from Shaw Brothers studios-hopefully it will some day be available internationally.) A Go Go 67 documents this era in Malaysian Pop Music perfectly. Many of the original Pop Yeh Yeh stars appeared in this film, and though today the acting may seem a bit slapstick and outdated, the film still conveys a sense of the danger that these kids faced by embracing the latest trends of Western pop culture.

Interesting tidbit about Shaws done outside of HK. It also goes on to state that the Shaws shut their Jalan Ampas studio in 1967.

Might as well ask... Has anyone seen it?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the precisions about this movie.

That's too bad that none of these Malay movies has got a proper release in dvd format as yet!!

The Shaws are so popular that it's strange that nobody has got the idea to do it...

Thanks for the precisions about this movie.

That's too bad that none of these Malay movies has got a proper release in dvd format as yet!!

The Shaws are so popular that it's strange that nobody has got the idea to do it...

You're welcome. This was released in a limited quantity on dvd in Malaysia. However, someone has put it on youtube.

Note how different the Shaw Brothers' screen is.

Yes, I'm curious to know where to find dvds of these movies. I know that there are a lot on youtube, but the pictures are often freezing or pixelising and the few dvds-r i got from vcdsrip are of the same quality, except for a very few of them. So, if there are dvds of the Shaws' Malay movies, please, let us know where to find them.

Thanks.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Bought the compilation on vinyl and just reading about this movie too. I need to see this right now. Kung fu bob any idea bro on this movie? MPM74??? DIP???

By an unbelievable stroke of luck, I came across an orginal dvd of this movie and of course bought it on ebay. It seems that the release date of the dvd is 2011...

I just watched it and enjoyed the musical numbers a lot.

Here is the picture of what I bought.

p.jpg

18 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

By an unbelievable stroke of luck, I came across an orginal dvd of this movie and of course bought it on ebay. It seems that the release date of the dvd is 2011...

I just watched it and enjoyed the musical numbers a lot.

Here is the picture of what I bought.

p.jpg

That's one of the few Malay Shaws I've seen, I believe on youtube, glad you found a copy. The Malay Shaw productions are really raw compared to the HK Shaws, not just in the film quality, but the acting as well. Very different cultures.

Archived