Godzilla (2014)

Secret Executioner

LemmyThePirate

I liked it, cool movie, and The Big G was lovable as ever in this. I do agree there was a little too much tease and not enough focusing on the monsters throwing down, especially in the final act of the film. More like a day in the life of a kaiju attack than a full-on Godzilla movie.

But still, I dig it and hope they make some sequels, and hope they ramp up the craziness in those. I also hope Japan starts making Godzilla movies again sometime sooner than 10 years from now.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

You wanna know what movie spoiled it for yall? It's because of this movie, any movie that comes out of Hollywood would paled in comparison. Take a guess?

OpiumKungFuCracker

You guys wanna know a secret to enjoying any movie in a theater whether it's shit bad or good? Here are the steps:

1. Go to the movies by yourself

2. Be in a depressed state of mind, (bills,spousal abuse,tooth extraction,dead dog,whatever)

3. Hate everyone in the theater in your head. Don't be vocal and start talking shit to people because you will get your ass kicked.

4. Don't go to the movies often

5. In your head, think nothing will be worse than Bangkok Revenge, NOTHING!!!

.two hours plus later, I will guarantee you will enjoy any movie, PERIOD!!!. If none of the steps work, you will get refund back to you.

Just came back from the theater watching the film. Also watched the original 1954 Japanese film the day before. I'd say G. Edwards came pretty close capturing the feel of the original in terms of the overall story and greatly improves everything about Godzilla's appearance with CGI that the 1998 film failed to do big-time. Adding the Mutos was a great idea allowing more dramatic moments into the picture - watching Godzilla take on the Mutos was like seeing a tiger take on two lions - and placing the story in several countries (yay for Philippines being featured in the intro). Overall, this was a near flawless remake.

Secret Executioner
You wanna know what movie spoiled it for yall? It's because of this movie, any movie that comes out of Hollywood would paled in comparison. Take a guess?

Lemme guess... Bangkok Revenge ? :tongue:

In case some didn't get it, I'm willing to bet the movie in question is The Raid 2.

(awesome new signature pic, BTW :tongue: )

OpiumKungFuCracker
Lemme guess... Bangkok Revenge ? :tongue:

In case some didn't get it, I'm willing to bet the movie in question is The Raid 2.

(awesome new signature pic, BTW :tongue: )

Ding ding ding!!!

Drunken Monk

I would go as far as to say that "Godzilla" is one of the best films of the year so far. I was everything I wanted.

The constant peril, the action, Godzilla being a God-like creature, the slow build, the tension...it was all fantastic.

Secret Executioner
I would go as far as to say that "Godzilla" is one of the best films of the year so far.

Definitely one of the best of the year for me too. :cool:

OldPangYau

Our review is online! (And don't worry MPM, our retro review is coming soon! :wink:) And I think our stinger at the end of our review is the most ridiculous one yet :xd:

mXT-ZnCzQXk

sifu iron perm

i came out of the screening a bit disappointed to be honest, felt short changed, . The 3D wasn't all that, go and watch it 2d if you haven't seen it yet.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
i came out of the screening a bit disappointed to be honest, felt short changed, . The 3D wasn't all that, go and watch it 2d if you haven't seen it yet.

Short-changed by too little of Godzilla? :squigglemouth: Or the film in general?

I thought the 3D looked good, but it wasn't utilized to much effect. Nothing like in PACIFIC RIM.

Really liked the first 15 minutes of GODZILLA... Then a power surge destroyed all the projectors in the theater! :ooh:

Damn you power surge! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Are you sure it wasn't an EMP? I thought you were making a joke at first!

Is there someone else out there, other than me, who thought Godzilla (2014) was a terrible movie? Other than the visuals, I really didn’t care for it. I’m almost wondering if I saw the same movie as you guys. lol

Our review is online! (And don't worry MPM, our retro review is coming soon! :wink:) And I think our stinger at the end of our review is the most ridiculous one yet :xd:

mXT-ZnCzQXk

I meant to watch your review when it appeared online, but knowing I was going to see Godzilla last night, I figure I'd wait afterwards. Looking forward to watching it any minute.

Drunken Monk

It's been reported by multiple news outlets that select Asian countries were treated to a post credits scene.

Apparently the scene showed Mothra commanding a legion of flying Muto. It then causes a hurricane by flapping its wings.

I'm not sure if it's true, but it sounds good.

It's been reported by multiple news outlets that select Asian countries were treated to a post credits scene.

Apparently the scene showed Mothra commanding a legion of flying Muto. It then causes a hurricane by flapping its wings.

I'm not sure if it's true, but it sounds good.

My wife have family in HK, Taiwan & The Philippines who saw Godzilla over the weekend (some of them even had a 2nd viewing) but none of them reported any such post credit scene. We chatted over the weekend - I wanted them to send me some Blu-ray movies and vice versa. I will ask them next time we chat if there was any such PCS.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Is there someone else out there, other than me, who thought Godzilla (2014) was a terrible movie? Other than the visuals, I really didn’t care for it. I’m almost wondering if I saw the same movie as you guys. lol

This is going to be me in about 3 secs...

furioustyping_zps86451dda.gif

U sure you saw the 2014 version and not 1998?

LOL Look, I’ll be the first to admit that I “don’t get it.” I’ll dismiss is it as that. Anyways, I’m out of this thread before I get lynched. ;)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
LOL Look, I’ll be the first to admit that I “don’t get it.” I’ll dismiss is it as that. Anyways, I’m out of this thread before I get lynched. ;)

Did you see my comments?

Did you see my comments?

Well, the only post of yours I saw was the initial ‘power surge’ post. But I must have been reading fast and missed the “gonna catch it again” part…

So, I went back and thoroughly sifted through the posts and found your second viewing. I agree with you that the human element was soulless. I feel that if Walter White was in it throughout, he would have saved the movie for me. Instead, I was stuck with the kid from Kickass (he’s great in Kickass, but in Godzilla, he’s a penis; same can be said about the blonde girl….). That little Japanese kid was pointless (they were trying to plant in tension and they failed). I did like the kid from The Shining, only because he reminded me of the kid from The Shining. And the Kickass character was just bizarre… that guy was all over the place. In the air several times, on foot, in the air again, wtf?

You gave it a 7/10… well, I give it a 5/10. Now I’m interested in seeing ’98. Better yet, maybe I should just stick to the original.

But your point about character development... exactly. With it, most movies suck, period. And don’t give me all this shit about how monster movies don’t need it; the last War of the Worlds had it. Pacific Rim had it (even though it was low, but it still had it), even Titanic had it! (not that it’s a monster movie, but let’s be honest, we walked into that movie to see the ship sink, just as we walked into Godzilla wanting to see big ass monsters destroy!) It’s the reason why The Raid 2 was much better than The Raid. It’s the reason why A Good Day to Die Hard is one of the worse action movies ever made, despite having decent action!

I read some reviews comparing it to JAWS and JURASSIC PARK…. Just like John McClane says: “Who’s driving that thing, Stevie Wonder!?”

Guys, enjoy the sequels. More power to you.

daisho2004

mpm74: I'm catching a lot of flack over my review of this movie. But I have to agree with you the Guys Son was all over the place in this movie!

OK I just got back from seeing Godzilla, and I'll be totally honest I was disappointed with it. I love Godzilla I grew up with all the Godzilla movies. I was glad to see this movie made but it had a lot of major flaws with it IMO. I loved the whole backdrop cover up on Godzilla with the nuclear bombs in the Pacific. And when you finally get to see Godzilla and the other monster about to fight you only see it on a TV as the news was reporting it. That pissed me off and again when there about to go at it the door closes and you don't see anything at all! I enjoyed the new monster design very original. I just expected more and I was let down. Then the whole Bryan Cranston story is another thing in its self. He Son is like an indestructible Guy I was like OK come on now really! Godzilla looked very real loved it. But as far as action goes I'm going to compare it to Pacific Rim and I thought that movie was awesome! Godzilla was a good Popcorn flick I'll say that much.

mpm74: I'm catching a lot of flack over my review of this movie. But I have to agree with you the Guys Son was all over the place in this movie!

Man, I'm glad I'm not alone (but unlike you and Kung Fu Bob, I straight up disliked Godzilla). So, I guess I'm still alone. :( Oh well.... as Opium says, "Can't win 'em all".

Secret Executioner

mpm: agreed with you on the guy and his girlfriend - seriously, I hoped he and/or the gilfriend would get killed (not only would it make the film more tragic - nothing better to make a character sympathetic than major tragedy - as the loss of his gf could have echoed the guy's mom dying in the beginning, but it would also get rid of a pointless and very annoying character).

Archived