Godzilla (2014)

Secret Executioner

Secret Executioner

QjKO10hKtYw

IMO, doesn't look that great. Too focused on the soldiers (who fly like Iron Man for some reason) and the roar sounds pretty bad. You may however recognize some landmark scenes being remade, though it seems (like the 1990s turd) to be set in the US again. I guess I'll stick to the good old 1950s ones (Japanese original and US version).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the trailer was done pretty well with the paratrooper view. The teaser that was "leaked" earlier showed a dead monster so there will be some kaiju fights. So I'll keep my hopes up. Of course I'm not expecting it to outdo the originals either just the '98 debacle.

Also, for those of you who have the Encore Action channel, it will be showing a block of Godzilla movies starting at 12am New Years Day.

Cloverfield pt 2? I hope they actually show Godzilla in the film and don't try to obscure views with stuff because the CGI isn't good enough.

Secret Executioner
did I watch the same trailer, where were the iron man flying soldiers?

When I saw that I went WTF.

Cloverfield pt 2? I hope they actually show Godzilla in the film and don't try to obscure views with stuff because the CGI isn't good enough.

You barely see him in the midst of some dust in that trailer. But true, it seems too human-focused.

OpiumKungFuCracker

You guys did not like Cloverfield? I thought it was a pretty clever monster Kaiju mayem found footage film. Please let's discuss about this.

Noelle Shadow Kick

This trailer got me so excited! Was that maybe Rodan flying? What do you guys think?!

Also, for anyone looking to get their kaiju fix, Netflix has 3 of the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 Gamera episodes. Lots of cheesy fun to be had there.

• Administrator
The teaser that was "leaked" earlier showed a dead monster so there will be some kaiju fights..

Don't get too excited, that could've just been the skeleton of another "Godzilla" that they found or something. I'd hate for you, or me, or anybody to go into this thinking we'd be getting monster battles, then possibly be disappointed.

Also, for those of you who have the Encore Action channel, it will be showing a block of Godzilla movies starting at 12am New Years Day.

I own them all, so a Godzilla/kaiju-eiga block/marathon is always imminent around here. :nerd:

did I watch the same trailer, where were the iron man flying soldiers?

Looks pretty good to me, but it is only a teaser

He was referring to the paratroopers.

I dig that teaser too. :bigsmile:

I think (hope hope hope) that they will. They're just "teasing us" with that teaser.

You guys did not like Cloverfield? I thought it was a pretty clever monster Kaiju mayem found footage film. Please let's discuss about this.

I thought that CLOVERFIELD was a lot of fun, and had some scary stuff down in the tunnel too.

Oh and Cloverfield was better than Pacific Rim, now whatsup?

I hope you didn't spill bong water on your computer when you typed that! :xd: Otherwise, you just plain old crazy! :tongue: LOL

This trailer got me so excited! Was that maybe Rodan flying? What do you guys think?!

Whaaaa? :smile: I missed that! But I've been sticking to a one-watch rule on trailers lately. They always show too much these days, and I don't want the film ruined for me before I see it. But what you said did get my nerdy heart a' thumpin'! :nerd:

Also, for anyone looking to get their kaiju fix, Netflix has 3 of the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 Gamera episodes. Lots of cheesy fun to be had there.

I've never been into MST. I prefer my Gamera pure. :wink: You know what my favorite flying turtle thinks of MST? TURTLE BITE!!!

p><p> (Just so that no one looking at th

Tempted... but no. I won't look.

This trailer got me excited for the movie, hopefully it lives up to expectations and it can join the rest of my Godzilla collection.

Secret Executioner

The first minute was a lot reminiscent of the 1998 one - the giant wave, the investigation... The rest... WTF ?! Are they trying to make us believe this is linked to the 1954 film ?!

Didn't see Rodan in there (would be interesting to see him in the flick though), but I definitely found a trailer for a movie that looks about as terrible as Cloverfield or the Zilla film - people wondering what the monster is about, no clear view of the creature... When I see a monster movie, I want to see the monster destroy everything in all of its glory, not a bunch of people talking about it (except for the first Godzilla where it added to the build-up, it's usually boring as shit) or some shaky cam destruction. Fucking morons. :cry

KFB: that's a cool Gamera figure you have there. :tongue:

Noelle Shadow Kick
Whaaaa? :smile: I missed that! But I've been sticking to a one-watch rule on trailers lately. They always show too much these days, and I don't want the film ruined for me before I see it. But what you said did get my nerdy heart a' thumpin'! :nerd:

I've never been into MST. I prefer my Gamera pure. :wink: You know what my favorite flying turtle thinks of MST? TURTLE BITE!!!

p><p> Hahaha! Awesome Gamera figure! IT

But you have a good point about the trailers, I find myself continually knowing too much about movies going into them. I don't want to look at the breakdown of the trailer either, I've been having too much fun debating if there's going to be other monsters! (I think there will, but whether or not they show up as a tease for future movies is still up in the air)

But yeah, I thought that maaaaaybe I saw Rodan and then at some point something insect-like? UGH I'M SO EXCITED!

Also for anyone interested, we're putting out a Godzilla: Awakening here at DC Comics and it's a prequel to the movie! It's written by Max Gorenstein, who wrote the new movie. It's going to be a gorgeous hardcover with great art, so I'll keep you guys posted when I know a little more closer to release: http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Awakening-Max-Borenstein/dp/1401250351

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Hahaha! Awesome Gamera figure! IT'S GAMERA GET YOUR CAMERA! (Can't help it, still love MST3K haha.)

He's one of my favorites! Wish I had this figure when I was a kid though. I actually had this realistic looking turtle toy that was a plastic shell, and a detachable rubber body, and I would play Gamera with that. I'd take the shell off and tape these construction paper flames inside, then spin it on the floor so it looked like Gamera flying. :xd:

But you have a good point about the trailers, I find myself continually knowing too much about movies going into them. I don't want to look at the breakdown of the trailer either, I've been having too much fun debating if there's going to be other monsters! (I think there will, but whether or not they show up as a tease for future movies is still up in the air)

Right on. My son refused to watch the longer trailer because he wants to be surprised.

But yeah, I thought that maaaaaybe I saw Rodan and then at some point something insect-like? UGH I'M SO EXCITED!

You have sharper eyes than me sister! :smile: But your report is certainly building up my excitement about seeing this. :nerd:

Also for anyone interested, we're putting out a Godzilla: Awakening here at DC Comics and it's a prequel to the movie! It's written by Max Gorenstein, who wrote the new movie. It's going to be a gorgeous hardcover with great art, so I'll keep you guys posted when I know a little more closer to release: http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Awakening-Max-Borenstein/dp/1401250351

Whoa... Thanks for the heads up!

Noelle Shadow Kick
He's one of my favorites! Wish I had this figure when I was a kid though. I actually had this realistic looking turtle toy that was a plastic shell, and a detachable rubber body, and I would play Gamera with that. I'd take the shell off and tape these construction paper flames inside, then spin it on the floor so it looked like Gamera flying. :xd:!

Hahaha! That's awesome. Gamera is one of my favorites too, especially because I saw a couple of his early on when I was younger. I have a set of mini figures of kaiju but no Gamera :sad:

1998 all over again... All those parts with the 20-something good guy staring up blank-faced could have been taken from Transformers. The CGI's terrible, by which I mean my mind just said "welp, that's CGI" at certain clips without really thinking about it.

Hard to tell from the trailer, but it seems like they're opting for the grimdark serious tone because Nolan did it... but this is a Godzilla movie. The first one was brutally dark, but this isn't the first one, it's probably not a nuclear parable. It's gonna be another popcorn film that takes itself too seriously.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
1998 all over again... All those parts with the 20-something good guy staring up blank-faced could have been taken from Transformers. The CGI's terrible, by which I mean my mind just said "welp, that's CGI" at certain clips without really thinking about it.

Hard to tell from the trailer, but it seems like they're opting for the grimdark serious tone because Nolan did it... but this is a Godzilla movie. The first one was brutally dark, but this isn't the first one, it's probably not a nuclear parable. It's gonna be another popcorn film that takes itself too seriously.

Is it... raining... on my kaiju-eiga parade? Is that what's happening? Oh no, it's just Smilebomb. :wink:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Hahaha! That's awesome. Gamera is one of my favorites too, especially because I saw a couple of his early on when I was younger. I have a set of mini figures of kaiju but no Gamera :sad:

Are you talking about the set of 10 or 12, 2.5" tall figures of Godzilla and some of his foes? I have that set.

When I raise praying mantises I put these in their terrarium along with grass and small sticks so they have something to climb on. When they first hatch they are the size of mosquitoes, so it looks cool to see them covering up the little Godzilla figures.

Secret Executioner

Gotta admit smilebomb has valid points: lots of CGI, the human characters seem more like the teenage douchebags from Transformers than the tragic heroes of the Japanese film and the movie (like pretty much any big modern Hollywood film) tries to look dark by having dark shades of colors - which can either look nice and cool or ugly and ridiculous.

Are you talking about the set of 10 or 12, 2.5" tall figures of Godzilla and some of his foes? I have that set.

When I raise praying mantises I put these in their terrarium along with grass and small sticks so they have something to climb on. When they first hatch they are the size of mosquitoes, so it looks cool to see them covering up the little Godzilla figures.

Why is it some scenes from Son Of Godzilla popped up in my head when reading this ? :wink2:

Noelle Shadow Kick

What?! My set only has six. :sad::sad::sad:

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Chibi-Deformed-Mini-Figure-6-Pack/dp/B00E6G1NJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394042731&sr=8-1&keywords=godzilla+chibi+figures

I have them on my desk at work so they're chilling with the Flash and Green Lantern at the moment haha

Secret Executioner

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Here's a little Gamera that would match your Godzilla figures size-wise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAMERA-figure-Gashapon-From-Japan-BANDAI-/161237476920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258a80a638

Here's one that's the same size as mine, but a different version of the character. A super spiky Gamera that looks very cool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-TNHN-Gamera-Godzilla-Monster-PVC-Figurine-Model-Turtle-Tortoise-/161231888067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258a2b5ec3

Trying to be lady-like, yet still fashionable? How about this? :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAMERA-2-96-MINI-PURSE-PLUSH-9-MOTHRA-GODZILLA-/321320685024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad0348de0

Flying Gamera with light-up leg jets!:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCP-1-6-LED-LIGHT-UP-GODZILLA-GAMERA-FIGURE-NEW-/291011798487?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c1a7a5d7

Gotta admit smilebomb has valid points: lots of CGI, the human characters seem more like the teenage douchebags from Transformers than the tragic heroes of the Japanese film and the movie (like pretty much any big modern Hollywood film) tries to look dark by having dark shades of colors - which can either look nice and cool or ugly and ridiculous.

Oh yeah, I know. He's entitled to his opinion, and I was just joking.

I am going to stubbornly continue to hope for the best.

The filmmakers can never be "right" for the fans. Never. A ton of fans will be saying "They should've used a guy in a suit to stay true to the original." And a ton of fans will be of the opinion "Why wouldn't they use modern technology like CGI to make him look as real as possible?"

I with withhold my criticism until I see the film.

Why is it some scenes from Son Of Godzilla popped up in my head when reading this ? :wink2:

Right? :smile: Or even closer- GODZILLA VS MEGAGUIRUS (2000)!

What?! My set only has six. :sad::sad::sad:

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Chibi-Deformed-Mini-Figure-6-Pack/dp/B00E6G1NJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394042731&sr=8-1&keywords=godzilla+chibi+figures

I have them on my desk at work so they're chilling with the Flash and Green Lantern at the moment haha

Sounds like a cool desk! Any chance of seeing a photo?

I kind of remember that when I bought the mini-figure set, they had a smaller pack too.

Yes, that's the one I've got.

Secret Executioner
Here's a little Gamera that would match your Godzilla figures size-wise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAMERA-figure-Gashapon-From-Japan-BANDAI-/161237476920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258a80a638

Here's one that's the same size as mine, but a different version of the character. A super spiky Gamera that looks very cool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-TNHN-Gamera-Godzilla-Monster-PVC-Figurine-Model-Turtle-Tortoise-/161231888067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258a2b5ec3

Trying to be lady-like, yet still fashionable? How about this? :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAMERA-2-96-MINI-PURSE-PLUSH-9-MOTHRA-GODZILLA-/321320685024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad0348de0

Flying Gamera with light-up leg jets!:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCP-1-6-LED-LIGHT-UP-GODZILLA-GAMERA-FIGURE-NEW-/291011798487?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c1a7a5d7

KFB, representative from Gamera Inc., wishes to thank you for your attention. :tongue:

Oh yeah, I know. He's entitled to his opinion, and I was just joking.

I am going to stubbornly continue to hope for the best.

The filmmakers can never be "right" for the fans. Never. A ton of fans will be saying "They should've used a guy in a suit to stay true to the original." And a ton of fans will be of the opinion "Why wouldn't they use modern technology like CGI to make him look as real as possible?"

I with withhold my criticism until I see the film.

Those are good points too. While I'd prefer a guy in a suit, I can see why others would prefer more modern FX.

Yes, that's the one I've got.

I don't have it but it looks really nice - some really cool guys in there - like the melting Godzilla from Godzilla vs Destoroyah and (IIRC) Manda.

There's also a really nice set where you have a city with buildings, cars and planes and your monsters (Godzilla, Mothra, Baragon and King Ghidorah) can, fight there, I think it's based on the 2001 movie GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack.

Archived