Favorite version of Game of Death (Robert Clouse only)

TheKungFuRobber

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

What makes me curious is that there are several alternate versions. I heard of a HK one and of the French one (likely the same as the American one, unless there was a different release for Europe), but that's about it. :squigglemouth:

TheKungFuRobber
Curious, why is that?

My favorite is probably the U.S. version.

The Singaporean version was re-edited by Sammo Hung, a few corny scenes with Billy and Anne were trimmed out, a new fight with Casanova Wong was added to replace the crappy one in Uncle Lo's make up department (or whatever) and the laughable dubbing and fake Bruce Lee cries were replaced with beautifully edited real cries and very nice Mandarin dubbing.

TheKungFuRobber
What makes me curious is that there are several alternate versions. I heard of a HK one and of the French one (likely the same as the American one, unless there was a different release for Europe), but that's about it. :squigglemouth:

The H.K. Cut is a lot different from the American one and the Singaporean one, it has a new title sequence made to fit the tone of the rest of Bruce's movies, dubbed into Cantonese, real Bruce Lee cries, a few wxtra scens with Billy as an elderly man with a longer version of the fight with Ji Han Jae is included (during the middle of the film though) and and the film ends with Billy and Anne leaving Hong Kong on a boat.

The H.K. Cut is a lot different from the American one and the Singaporean one, it has a new title sequence made to fit the tone of the rest of Bruce's movies, dubbed into Cantonese, real Bruce Lee cries, a few wxtra scens with Billy as an elderly man with a longer version of the fight with Ji Han Jae is included (during the middle of the film though) and and the film ends with Billy and Anne leaving Hong Kong on a boat.

This version is the one i want, but every disc i`ve bought from H.K. has been what you call the Singapore version.

The ending of this version is in the special features on the Shout Factory blu of Game of death.

which version is on the Hong Kong Legends DVD?

That's the American cut with the totally CRAP SFX in the Lee fights at the end. Those war cries call my life.

BlurayStation3

I have a Taiwan Megastar dvd (which I believe is a bootleg) that has both Cantonese and Mandarin soundtracks (with different opening/ending music for each one), real Bruce Lee yells, glass house fight, ending where Bruce is arrested and ferry departs, but the Ji Han Jae fight is entirely missing. Also no "old man" disguise. Which version is this exactly?

Chinatown Kid

I love that greenhouse fight between Casanova Wong and Kim Tai Jung, one of my favorite kicking battles. The same scene can be seen in the U.S. version of Tower of Death under the title Game of Death II.

Guest Markgway

The best version of Game of Death is the one where Bruce's ghost comes back and beats the crap out of Robert Clouse and Raymond Chow for pissing on his legacy. It's currently OOP.

Chinatown Kid
The best version of Game of Death is the one where Bruce's ghost comes back and beats the crap out of Robert Clouse and Raymond Chow for pissing on his legacy. It's currently OOP.

LOL, isn't that the truth!:bigsmile:

TheKungFuRobber

:bigsmile: I agree, LOL

"Show Robert Clouse and Raymond Chow to the graveyard and maybe that will change their minds!" -Tower of Death

TheKungFuRobber

Thats the Singaporean cut with the soundtrack from the Hong Kong theatrical version cut to fit the visuals.

TheKungFuRobber
I have a Taiwan Megastar dvd (which I believe is a bootleg) that has both Cantonese and Mandarin soundtracks (with different opening/ending music for each one), real Bruce Lee yells, glass house fight, ending where Bruce is arrested and ferry departs, but the Ji Han Jae fight is entirely missing. Also no "old man" disguise. Which version is this exactly?

That version is the Singaporean cut with the option of the Cantonese track from the Hong Kong version cut to fit the visuals.

The (Billy as an elderly man with a longer version of the fight with Ji Han Jae) scene was on youtube, now its gone. i thought i downloaded it but i can`t find it. Has anyone else downloaded it and could they reupload it please.

Archived