looking for help finding one martial art / fantasy movie

jinzen

hello

i can't find one movie i've been seaching for a whole while now. I've only seen the last part of it a couple of years ago, late at night on a european tv culture channel. I pretty much forgot about it until i saw scenes from similar movies on youtube recently.

-It was martial arts fantasy mix (much fantasy)

-There was a showdown in an empty town

-The town had similarities to those in wild west movies

-The fighters were flying and using magic, summoning whirlwinds and such

-The wooden houses were ripped apart from the energy during the fight

-The FX were pretty state of the art so i guess it's newer than 1998

-It ran on Tv around 2010 so it cants be that new (i think it wasnt dubbed however, so it could have been some exclusive special event asian cinema thing also)

-It was very well composed and choreographed, very appealing esthetics

-The fighters wore traditional robes

-I remember one image with poor people in shackles reminiscent of mad max movies

-The final fight was in broad daylight

-Everything was really dry and dusty

-I think one of the warriors also had a mask

-During my search i found these movies that share some similiraties:

hero (ying xiong)

storm riders

death trance

the warriors way

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Are you listing movies Storm Riders and Hero because you found out they are not the right movie? It sounds a lot like Hero, but I have every second of that memorized and it doesn't all add up.

I'm leaning towards Storm Riders, but I don't remember the movie that well. The only thing that stood out to me was the CGI. But there's just something about "summoning whirlwinds" that makes me think of Storm RIders. I'm gonna rewatch it tonight other wise this is gonna bug me all night.

Yes, i listed those movies because they are similar but i'm really sure it wasn't one of them.

Problem really was it was late at night, i was about to sleep and than I zapped to that movie and only saw like 5-10 minutes and thats it.

Storm Riders final battle is indoors and the CG effects of the one I saw looked more advanced, it was much like modern music video clips, very well composed.

Morgoth Bauglir

OK glad to hear it's not Storm Riders. I didn't want to sit through all that again and you would remember things like a fire beast and a guy riding around in a bubble. There is a sequel to Storm Riders I haven't seen called Storm Warriors from 2009.

It could be Seven Swords but I'm reaching here.

Secret Executioner
It could be Seven Swords but I'm reaching here.

I don't remember there being much magic/fantasy in Seven Swords.

One Armed Boxer

I think this movie has much more likelihood of being a Japanese or Korean production than it has a Chinese/HK one....unfortunately I haven't seen many of these period types of movies that fall into this category made between 1998 - 2010, although I can certainly think of a few which I'd imagine as fitting the bill, even though I've never seen them. I have a gut feel this isn't a Chinese/HK movie though.

Reel Power Stunts

Could it be "A Man Called Hero" (1999)?

uXa2IFd3rZw

It was martial arts fantasy mix (much fantasy) YES

-There was a showdown in an empty town YES

-The town had similarities to those in wild west movies NOT REALLY, BUT THE MOVIE HAS WESTERN COSTUMES ETC. THE QUARRY SET LOOKS V WESTERN

-The fighters were flying and using magic, summoning whirlwinds and such YES, ESP ANTHONY WONG v FRANCIS NG SCENE

-The wooden houses were ripped apart from the energy during the fight NOT SURE ABOUT THAT, BUT EKIN BLOWS UP A SHACK WITH ENERGY

-The FX were pretty state of the art so i guess it's newer than 1998 YES, SHOT IN 1998

-It ran on Tv around 2010 so it cants be that new (i think it wasnt dubbed however, so it could have been some exclusive special event asian cinema thing also) THERE IS AN ENG DUB

-It was very well composed and choreographed, very appealing esthetics IT WAS SHOT BY AWARD WINNING DOP/DIRECTOR ANDREW LAU

-The fighters wore traditional robes YEP, SOME DO

-I remember one image with poor people in shackles reminiscent of mad max movies THERE ARE SLAVES WORKING IN A QUARRY

-The final fight was in broad daylight WELL YES & NO.. THE MAIN END FIGHT IS A CG FEST ON THE STATUE OF LIBERTY

-Everything was really dry and dusty. SOME SCENES WERE...

-I think one of the warriors also had a mask SHADOW - DION LAMS CHARACTER WORE A MASK

:

Secret Executioner
Could it be The Restless?

Though I don't remember people in chains.

I don't remember there being a masked warrior in that one. But for the rest, it fits - especially the traditional outfits and the magic stuff.

Reel Power Stunts
Was talking of The Restless. Haven't seen A Man Called Hero, but it looks like it could be it.

Apologies. My bad. Will remove post.

Thanks for all the input guys! Even though the movie I'm searching wasn't among the ones I watched so far I certainly get to watch a lot of really cool movies lately. :smile:

I had no idea there were so many in this kinda genre, it's a friggin lot! Each movie I check out spawns 1-2 similar movies on youtubes or amazons similiar recommendation thingy.

I still got to check out "A Man Called Hero" and "The Promise", those two look really promising and close to what I remember from the trailers I watched.

"A Man Called Hero" is neither on german iTunes nor is it available in my usual DVD rental place but I'm going to give amazon's LoveFilm a try soon and see how that works.

Archived