Looking for an old Kung Fu movie - rather cheesy

SolkaTruesilver

SolkaTruesilver

Hi there! I joined this forum because I am looking for an old Kung Fu movie that I watched with my roomate a few years back. We have a great time (a bit tipsy) but we've both forgotten the movie's title.

I was hoping a fanbase as knowledgeable might be the best place to ask for help!!

The movie was made in the late 60s to early 80s. It was in color, but the film quality wasn't exactly great. The movie was in chinese original, with chinese subtitles. Can't say if either was cantonese or mandarin.

The movie's basic plot was relatively straightforward: a kid see his entire family being killed by the local prefect. He runs away, seek refuse in a monastery. He smuggles in with a jar (I think), learns Kung Fu and comes back in his homeland when he is a young man, years later. He wears a kickass big conic hat.

He gets into a scuffle with the local guards, and eventually track down every one of the Prefect's lieutenants to kill them. He starts to fight with a young man who turns out to be the Prefect's adopted daughter, in disguise. Both young people falls in love with each other, and they unite against the Prefect to kill him.

During the course of the movie, the Prefect introduced his corps of elite guards, who fight doing the human pyramid (yes, like in a circus) as long as someone plays a beat on a drum nearby. The guards fighting as such as basically invincible (don't ask me why), but the hero managed to escape when the Prefect's daughter starts playing a different beat while hiding behind THE ONLY BUSH IN SIGHT FOR KILOMETRES, and confuse the Elite Guard's synchronism.

In the end, the hero and the daughter kill the elite guards (with a net, I believe) and kill the Prefect as well. The moment the Villain's corpse hit the ground, we see "the end" and roll credits.

The movie was absolutely hilarious and cheesy. One of the Prefect's lieutenant was kind of overweight, aged and fought like a very, very, very effeminate man. The Human Pyramid Fights were hilarious, and the overall plot was oh so deliciously predictable.

Someone ever heard of that movie?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SolkaTruesilver

OMG!! You found it!!!

I went through all of Shaw Brother's movies trying to find it! YOU TRULY ARE THE KING OF KINGS!!

It was my very, very, very first "classic" Kung Fu movie I ever watched. My friend and I wanted something silly that took itself seriously, and we picked Shaolin Traitorous as well as Ricki-Oh (The Legend of Ricki). OMG we never laughed so much.

It's that sort of movie that made me research more the genre; which I didn't took too seriously until I watched The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. And then I suddenly started researching and watching some of the best-reputed names in the genre.

I cannot thank you enough. I had started to lose hope. Is Shaolin Traitorous that much of an obscure film?

Solka

How good to see your appreciation for having the film ID'd! Glad you have found the movie.

I don't think its that obscure it defo had a VHS release some years back.

TheKungFuRobber

The longer version of No Retreat, No Surrender is probably right up your street if you wan't that kind of movie.:xd:

SolkaTruesilver
That overweight guy was sammo hung.

So I keep hearing in most reviews of the film I see. It's apparently a big deal (no pun intended), but I have no idea who he is.

But let's be fair; I have never noticed actors in the past before. It took my girlfriend to point out to me that Thor was Kirk's dad.

SolkaTruesilver
The longer version of No Retreat, No Surrender is probably right up your street if you wan't that kind of movie.:xd:

Just watched the trailer. Oh man, this looks awesome. I am going to check if I can find a copy!

I am more of a Wuxia-style fan tho; ancient China story :tongue:

Archived