Road House (2024) - Jake Gyllenhaal, Billy Magnussen, Hannah Love Lanier, Daniela Melchior, Conor McGregor

AlbertV

Drunken Monk
18 minutes ago, laagi said:

Fragile? Excuse me :laugh Hey if you like a pair of male cheeks rather than some boobies be my guest. I'm old fashioned!

Funnily enough, I’d forgotten you’d mentioned Conor’s nudity in your review. I was actually referring to the delicate blokes I’m seeing on Twitter more than anything else.

I’m a straight male but I believe in equality. If the straight ladies (and gay fellas) get a bit of eye candy then good for them, I say. If I want something more my cup of tea, I can always watch the latest Sydney Sweeney movie.

Regarding my love of the film, I actually understand why some people dislike or flat out hate it. It’s tonally bizarre…which is what I appreciate. But I get that’s not for everyone. It’s a strange, disjointed film. I just feel like that’s a breath of fresh air. It’s easy to dislike though, for sure.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

If I want something more my cup of tea, I can always watch the latest Sydney Sweeney movie.

Wait , does that mean she flashes something in that film?

I could be tempted…

• Haha 1

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, WangYu said:

I could be tempted…

In her romantic comedy? Sadly, not a lot. The odd side boob or bikini shot. Nothing on the same level as Euphoria.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, WangYu said:

I could be tempted…

24 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

In her romantic comedy? Sadly, not a lot. The odd side boob or bikini shot. Nothing on the same level as Euphoria.

I'll just leave this uhm "monoluge" here for you gents to enjoy ;) 

team those look good GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

saltysam

Thought this was ok apart from McGregor, who can't act and has the charisma of an eggplant.i wouldn't buy a physical release but overall not bad at all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Mmmm, Sydney Sweeney, yes please! Her acting may occasionally fall a little flat, but nothing else about her seems to! Girl's been abundantly blessed, have you seen her movie The Voyeurs on Amazon Prime? Let's just say she's not bashful in it, which I can appreciate :)

17 hours ago, Bruce said:

Mmmm, Sydney Sweeney, yes please! Her acting may occasionally fall a little flat, but nothing else about her seems to! Girl's been abundantly blessed, have you seen her movie The Voyeurs on Amazon Prime? Let's just say she's not bashful in it, which I can appreciate :)

I have not seen it but the title promises much 🫣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WangYu said:

I have not seen it but the title promises much 🫣

I need to stop looking at the thumbail I posted eariler because I literally read:

"I have not seen it but the titties promises much" 

I need help :itwasntme

57 minutes ago, laagi said:

I need to stop looking at the thumbail I posted eariler because I literally read:

"I have not seen it but the titties promises much" 

I need help :itwasntme

We could seek help together maybe?

• Buddha Bless You 1

Found it ok but wouldn’t watch it again and Conor McGregor,god I hope he doesn’t make anymore movies.

• Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

PandaPawPaw
3 hours ago, WangYu said:

We could seek help together maybe?

2 hours ago, laagi said:

sad hug GIF

e2e195ee-bce0-462f-81ee-f82867ea6871_tex

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

PandaPawPaw
4 minutes ago, laagi said:

Owl Jelly GIF

Roleplaying Zombieorpheus GIF by zoefannet

Excuse Me Pink GIF by euphoria

Me Jelly!? HAHAHAHAHA!

BE74.gif

.....................Well OK.........................

giphy.gif?cid=549b592dnf4bhg5q2bgei1wd0b

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, laagi said:

Owl Jelly GIF

Roleplaying Zombieorpheus GIF by zoefannet

Excuse Me Pink GIF by euphoria

Jesus, Sydney's almost enough to make an atheist believe! A body that perfect could not have happened by accident, right? Somebody say amen! :)

• Buddha Bless You 1

The story had a lovely premise but sadly it was terribly executed. Apart from Gyllenhaal, the casting choices seem so random which made the character interplays so disjointed and out of place. The OTT behind some of the acting is also questionable. There's so many performers not fitting in with Gyllenhaal because they are coming in with their own vibes that aren't syncing at all.

The action? Before watching the movie, I read a debate on the action choreography in correlation to CGI being employed. Let's face it: CGI is the norm in today's film-making so everyone uses it more or less. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded this at all if CGI wasn't used excessively, and as long as the action choreography is actually good (which it was). That's the problem here though: CGI gets too much, and puts you off after a while. This movie is a good example of how good choreography can turn into something bad due to a single gimmick.

Overall, it was a guilty pleasure for me that I won't be watching again. Something I do want to watch now is the original.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

I watched this on Thursday night and then I watched Donnie Yen's Raging Fire on Friday. Interesting side note: both movies make use of a piano during the end fight.

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
12 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

I watched this on Thursday night and then I watched Donnie Yen's Raging Fire on Friday. Interesting side note: both movies make use of a piano during the end fight.

Which one was the better movie?

Also I read Ronda Rousey was original attached to the project. I wonder how that would of turned out?

pBjpb1.gif

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Both also use CGI in their fight scenes and yet Road House is the only one being scrutinized. It's strange. I suppose it's because most people will say the CGI in Road House s more blatant. Although I honestly barely noticed it. I just enjoyed the fights for what they were: brutal smackdowns.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Both also use CGI in their fight scenes and yet Road House is the only one being scrutinized. It's strange. I suppose it's because most people will say the CGI in Road House s more blatant. Although I honestly barely noticed it. I just enjoyed the fights for what they were: brutal smackdowns.

That's because the CGI in Raging Fire is nowhere near as noticable as Road House. Heck, I didn't even know the end fight between Donnie and Nic had CGI (apart from Nic's knives) until the BTS footage started circling around after the latter movie was out.

There is a clear distinction of GCI usage in movies so there has to be a separation somewhere. It's all about how much and the way you employ it. Donnie and team used it minimally to enhance certain details while letting real physical skills do the most. And they made the CGI look believable too. The action in Road House uses CGI exessively for everything, and doesn't hide the usage at all. If you can't make anything look real then why use CGI in the first place? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by DiP
  • Buddha Bless You 1

@Drunken Monk @DiP regarding the CGI use in 'Road House'. I thought it's painfully obvious during the opening fight scene with Post Malone. Whenever their faces got punched I felt like watching a live-stream on Twitch with the latest UFC game. So IMHO that was poorly done! As for the rest I didn't really notice it all that much although some of the "smack downs" looked odd to me.

I was more annoyed by the camera being constantly on the move and all the cuts being applied. There was one scene where Dalton applies a simple leg lock on Knox and here they cut multiple times from different angles.

I just really hate that as it's completely unnecessary. Why not just let this one minute or heck seconds play out!? I'll never understand this and it happens way too often in these modern action movies.

Last but not least McGregor might be a coked up schmuck but he sure as hell knows how to make the most of his "persona".

https://screenrant.com/how-much-conor-mcgregor-was-paid-for-road-house/

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
14 minutes ago, DiP said:

That's because the CGI in Raging Fire is nowhere near as noticable as Road House. Heck, I didn't even now the end fight between Donnie and Nic had CGI (apart from Nic's knives) until the BTS footage started circling around after the latter movie was out.

There is a clear distinction of GCI usage in movies so there has to be a separation somewhere. It's all about how much and the way you employ it. Donnie and team used it minimally to enhance certain detail as while letting real physical skills do the most. And makes the CGI look believable too. Action in Road House uses CGI exessively for everything, and doesn't hide the usage at all. If you can't make anything look real then why use CGI in the first place. 🤷‍♂️

One of the biggest issues is that people were looking for it in Road House because the buzz about the CGI was online long before some people had watched it. For example, my wife and best friend knew nothing about the CGI and dind't notice it. Hell, even I - who knew about the CGI - wasn't bothered by it in the slightest. 

At the end of the day, it's all about the viewer and how you view the film. Years ago, I watched the park fight in The Matrix Realoded and continued to suspend my disbelief as CGI Neo beat up two dozen CGI Agent Smiths. I was able to do the same with Road House.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bruce said:

Jesus, Sydney's almost enough to make an atheist believe! A body that perfect could not have happened by accident, right? Somebody say amen! :)

Cbs GIF

Posted (edited)

anyone catch where Jake said to Conor "who taught you shapes" I thought I was going mad when I heard that lol 

Edited by rdenn
  • Haha 3