Road House (2024) - Jake Gyllenhaal, Billy Magnussen, Hannah Love Lanier, Daniela Melchior, Conor McGregor

AlbertV

AlbertV
1 hour ago, laagi said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but that was only for "voices" used in the re-make from what I've read.

You could be right...but if they are using AI for fight scene...got the love of God why?

AlbertV

Watching it now and I'm digging it. It's longer than the original, but with good reason (Dalton's backstory is told in flashback rather than told). Not much of the 80's themes needed here, no naked love scene (but Conor McGregor's intro is hilarious...shows what a lunatic his character is) and Billy Magnussen is more OTT than Ben Gazarra. The action is pretty good too as well...I'm liking what they did here. 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

SamSeed

This started off really well. I was enjoying it, the humour was good, the fight scenes were visceral and well filmed.

Then Conor McGregor came in and everything went downhill fast. He is great casting in terms of his martial arts skills, but his character was so badly written. By the end I really didn't like it. There is none of the charm of the original.

• Like 2

Frank Bolte

It was good popcorn cinema.. some funny one liners... 

Jake almost smiled throughout the 124 minutes...a bit creepy

... Conor was over the top..prolly the only way to cover up his none existent acting skills...

not even closely in the same league as the original...

• Like 2

Super underwhelmed with 'Road House'! This will definitely go down as another pointless and ultimately forgettable re-make.

The only highlight IMHO is Jake Gyllenhaal who as always gives it his best and here that's really not saying much to be honest.

Connor McGregor seems to be in full psycho-mode which I guess we can call acting!? But it's so bad at times that it just comes across as laughable rather than menacing or anything else for that matter.

I won't go into the story as I'm sure even the original by today's standards was already ridiculous to start out with. But apparently everybody just loves to have random fights at the Road House (Peter Griffin voice).

Speaking of which even when it comes to the action 'Road House' disappoints. Yeah the fights especially the last one are pretty visceral unfortunately the camera is constantly on the move so a lot of it is lost in motion.

I don't know what else to say the acting aside from Gyllenhaal is also pretty subpar but that's probably because none of the characters are really that interesting. They just feel so replaceable or to be more precise like cardboard cut outs of real people.

I gotta be honest here I'm left pretty disappointed. The whole drama behind the scenes regarding its release at least to me seems now like a bunch of BS from certain people involved throwing a tantrum! This is in no way a good movie let alone worthy of a theatrical release.

Last but not least why does every R-rated movie nowadays have the need for a pair of man-cheeks? Is that like a new "progressive" trend when it comes to nudity? Cool I guess but I could've done without being exposed to McGregor's ass for seemingly every second too long.

I could go on and on like the shoe-horned love story between Dalton and random girl (I forgot her name already) with her Sheriff daddy etc. Nope this was not good, rant over.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

PandaPawPaw
Posted (edited)

I have it in my to watch list but the question is can I be bothered to?

6a8d5b754567ef4ea08675ae753e854e.gif

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I have it in my to watch list but the question is can I be bothered to?

6a8d5b754567ef4ea08675ae753e854e.gif

Do It GIF by Breaking Bad

• Sad 1

PandaPawPaw
4 hours ago, laagi said:

Do It GIF by Breaking Bad

Watching it and..............

suck-kut.gif

• Haha 1

PandaPawPaw

What was up with the opening fight and the weird camera work/cgi? Post Malone looks like he smells.

Jake gets stabbed and it's just whatever.

UFC stuff meh as is the romance stuff.

The bit when he gets run over has some horrible CGI/transition effects.

Baddies suck. The whole yacht stuff went on for ages. Shave your own fucking face you bellend!

I wasn't too keen on the modern Road House bar and didn't care about Frankie.

Jake was a moppy barstool throughout.

I'm tired of seeing male bums!

Coner was annoying as fuck.

Boring ass characters. No style like the OG.

Apart from that, I liked it.....................

• Buddha Bless You 1

4 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

lnf01c.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

What was up with the opening fight and the weird camera work/cgi? Post Malone looks like he smells.

Jake gets stabbed and it's just whatever.

UFC stuff meh as is the romance stuff.

The bit when he gets run over has some horrible CGI/transition effects.

Baddies suck. The whole yacht stuff went on for ages. Shave your own fucking face you bellend!

I wasn't too keen on the modern Road House bar and didn't care about Frankie.

Jake was a moppy barstool throughout.

I'm tired of seeing male bums!

Coner was annoying as fuck.

Boring ass characters. No style like the OG.

BTW, I'm surprised you didn't mention the "bookstore" sub-plot. I found the young actress (sorry) insufferable. Just plain terrible!

• Like 1

Alright so it is not very good. :laugh I’ll watch it eventually.
At least the original is endlessly re watchable (and good imo)

Also I want to petition for more female barebacks in film :-P

• Haha 2

PandaPawPaw
2 hours ago, laagi said:

BTW, I'm surprised you didn't mention the "bookstore" sub-plot. I found the young actress (sorry) insufferable. Just plain terrible!

I did as she comes under boring ass characters. That whole thing was so dumb!

1 hour ago, WangYu said:

Also I want to petition for more female barebacks in film :-P

yes-sir-panda.gif

• Haha 1

Just got thru watching.

I'll give it three bare man asses out of ten.

• Haha 4

On 3/21/2024 at 12:36 PM, laagi said:

Super underwhelmed with 'Road House'! This will definitely go down as another pointless and ultimately forgettable re-make.

The only highlight IMHO is Jake Gyllenhaal who as always gives it his best and here that's really not saying much to be honest.

Connor McGregor seems to be in full psycho-mode which I guess we can call acting!? But it's so bad at times that it just comes across as laughable rather than menacing or anything else for that matter.

I won't go into the story as I'm sure even the original by today's standards was already ridiculous to start out with. But apparently everybody just loves to have random fights at the Road House (Peter Griffin voice).

Speaking of which even when it comes to the action 'Road House' disappoints. Yeah the fights especially the last one are pretty visceral unfortunately the camera is constantly on the move so a lot of it is lost in motion.

I don't know what else to say the acting aside from Gyllenhaal is also pretty subpar but that's probably because none of the characters are really that interesting. They just feel so replaceable or to be more precise like cardboard cut outs of real people.

I gotta be honest here I'm left pretty disappointed. The whole drama behind the scenes regarding its release at least to me seems now like a bunch of BS from certain people involved throwing a tantrum! This is in no way a good movie let alone worthy of a theatrical release.

Last but not least why does every R-rated movie nowadays have the need for a pair of man-cheeks? Is that like a new "progressive" trend when it comes to nudity? Cool I guess but I could've done without being exposed to McGregor's ass for seemingly every second too long.

I could go on and on like the shoe-horned love story between Dalton and random girl (I forgot her name already) with her Sheriff daddy etc. Nope this was not good, rant over.

I enjoyed this new Roadhouse more than I expected to, I liked it more than the original, I think (though the much younger version of me who saw the original probably wouldn't agree, the gratuitous T & A would've been a selling factor for a guy barely out of his teens). Patrick Swazye's martial arts abilities disappointed me. I'd read a magazine article in which he claimed he'd trained in martial arts for years as a kid & then that Benny Urquidez had helped him with some spinning kick, but to me nothing he did in the movie looked convincing, he did nothing that your average Tae Kwon Do green belt couldn't have done better. At least with Jake they didn't bother trying to convince us he was a kicker!

I'd agree that Connor comes off as kind of laughable but, again, they went with that, they seemed to be aiming for over the top with him, I didn't mind it. And, as you said, Jake's a good actor, he grounded his character, supporting character's were likeable, the action was at  fun, at least for me.

As for the "man-cheeks", how is that new? Isn't that a throwback to 80s & early 90s action heros? Jean Claude in, for example, Bloodsport? Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon? Patrick Swayze in, wait a minute, wasn't it the original Roadhouse? Jackie Chan in, what, at least 3 movies? Not saying I look for that in action movies but for a long time there it was practically unavoidable!

Anyway, to each his own, I guess, I enjoyed this reboot.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bruce said:

As for the "man-cheeks", how is that new? Isn't that a throwback to 80s & early 90s action heros? Jean Claude in, for example, Bloodsport? Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon? Patrick Swayze in, wait a minute, wasn't it the original Roadhouse? Jackie Chan in, what, at least 3 movies? Not saying I look for that in action movies but for a long time there it was practically unavoidable!

Fair point and the moment I saw those Irish cheeks I immediately remembered JCVD in at least half of his movies :laugh However for arguments sake didn't all of the aforementioned include some sort of female nudity as well?

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
Posted (edited)

Loved it. A popcorn flick that’s more nuanced and layered than some people may give it credit for. The theme of “violence maketh the man” is genuinely interesting and explored very well. But on the flip side of the coin, the world Dalton inhabits is fantastically cartoonish and ludicrous. It really works. Conor is pure insanity, the comedic moments are so silly they really, REALLY work and I’m a firm believer that Doug Liman knew exactly what he was doing with the film. One of the best of 2024 so far in my opinion.

As a side note, it’s funny seeing how many fragile men are getting upset over seeing Conor McGregor’s arse. If that was a naked woman, no one would give a fuck. Men or women. But god forbid the genders are switched. I’m not saying you have to salivate over his cheeks but quietly tolerate them at least. There’s nothing wrong with make nudity at all. We’ve been treated to dozens on dozens on dozens of naked women over the year. Tides are changing and that’s ok.

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Loved it. A popcorn flick that’s more nuanced and layered than some people may give it credit for. The theme of “violence maketh the man” is genuinely interesting and explored very well. But on the flip side of the coin, the world Dalton inhabits is fantastically cartoonish and ludicrous. It really works. Conor is pure insanity, the comedic moments are so silly they really, REALLY work and I’m a firm believer that Doug Liman knew exactly what he was doing with the film. One of the best of 2025 so far in my opinion.

As a side note, it’s funny seeing how many fragile men are getting upset over seeing Conor McGregor’s arse. If that was a naked woman, no one would give a fuck. Men or women. But god forbid the genders are switched. I’m not saying you have to salivate over his cheeks but quietly tolerate them at least. There’s nothing wrong with make nudity at all. We’ve been treated to dozens on dozens on dozens of naked women over the year. Tides are changing and that’s ok.

Fragile? Excuse me :laugh Hey if you like a pair of male cheeks rather than some boobies be my guest. I'm old fashioned!

As for the movie let's just agree to disagree. But I'm glad you've enjoyed it as much as you did. Guess it just didn't work for me.

BTW, you quietly invented time travel it seems :wink

• Like 1