Road House (2024) - Jake Gyllenhaal, Billy Magnussen, Hannah Love Lanier, Daniela Melchior, Conor McGregor

AlbertV

Just read via Deadline, Doug Liman is boycotting the release of the film on Amazon Prime because he feels it should go to theaters. Test screenings have even surpassed his Mr. and Mrs. Smith but Amazon wouldn't listen, so he's not happy with the situation right now. While the film will debut at the SXSW Film Festival, Liman will not attend. 

https://deadline.com/2024/01/road-house-movie-doug-liman-boycott-sxsw-premiere-amazon-1235803736/

• Like 1

Just now, Drunken Monk said:

This looks good! 

Looks like Conor McGregor is playing the Marshall Teague enforcer role...what is it with villains named "Knox" LOL but I agree, this looks actually pretty good. 

Jake Gyllenhaal is really such an underappreciated actor! Guy deserves a lot more recognition. Probably one of my favorite actors out there.

To me he seems like a guy who always commits a 100% to his on screen persona. Including his physicality, 'Southpaw' anyone?

This rendition seems to be pretty hard hitting (haven't seen the original) and I'm down for it. Can't wait.

BTW, is it just me or is McGregor basically playing himself lol.

• Haha 2

Does anybody know what the budget for this remake was? Just curious because judging by the trailer production could only afford some crappy CGI explosions. Member when these were real?

yeah-i-member-memberberries.gif

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 1/24/2024 at 6:49 PM, AlbertV said:

Just read via Deadline, Doug Liman is boycotting the release of the film on Amazon Prime because he feels it should go to theaters. Test screenings have even surpassed his Mr. and Mrs. Smith but Amazon wouldn't listen, so he's not happy with the situation right now. While the film will debut at the SXSW Film Festival, Liman will not attend. 

https://deadline.com/2024/01/road-house-movie-doug-liman-boycott-sxsw-premiere-amazon-1235803736/

I can't say I blame him for being pissed off.

Everyone who loves cinema (that would be everyone on this site/forum) and theater-going in particular should read that linked article. Liman has a lot of good points and we should back him up. When I first heard about this remake I thought it seemed like as bad an idea as the sequel without Patrick Swayze and the musical version- terrible. But after watching the trailer I was completely turned around and thought this is worth seeing in the theater and seems perfect for the big screen. How ironic then to read the above article the very next day. I saw the original in the theater and thought seeing this remake with my son would be neat, especially as he's a big fan of Jake Gyllenhaal. So, thanks for nothing Amazon.

On 1/25/2024 at 10:45 AM, AlbertV said:

Looks like Conor McGregor is playing the Marshall Teague enforcer role...what is it with villains named "Knox" LOL but I agree, this looks actually pretty good. 

McGregor looks like he gained an enormous amount of muscle for this role, and he's more than suitably intimidating in the trailer. I do love it when our cinematic heroes are fully put to the test with dangerous foes. At the beginning of Steven Seagal's career, it was fresh and cool seeing him effortlessly wipe out a room full of dudes, but then I started wanting to see him clash with someon formidable. Rocky against Apollo Creed, Clubber Lang, and Drago is significantly more exciting than seeing Jason Statham obliterate 15 guys without taking a hit. Scott Adkins knows how to do it right too. In ONE MORE SHOT, I feared for his character's life when Michael Jai White was unleashing on him. :tongue:

On 1/25/2024 at 11:12 AM, laagi said:

Jake Gyllenhaal is really such an underappreciated actor! Guy deserves a lot more recognition. Probably one of my favorite actors out there.

To me he seems like a guy who always commits a 100% to his on screen persona. Including his physicality, 'Southpaw' anyone?

This rendition seems to be pretty hard hitting (haven't seen the original) and I'm down for it. Can't wait.

Same here. When I first saw him in DONNY DARKO I was blown away. He's done a lot of great stuff, but NIGHTCRAWLER is another standout.

My sister had a bit role in SOUTHPAW (she originally had a decent part as one of the nurses in a hospital scene, but in the final edit the entire scene was whittled down to where you only glimpse her) and she said Jake was giving it his everything and that he was indeed fully committed to the role.

@laagi, I wholeheartedly recommend that you check out the original. It's got major '80s cheese factor, but in the most enjoyable way. Patrick Swayze has a lot of charm and somehow makes the crazy mullet he's sporting work. Sam Elliott is here in perhaps my favorite role of his, Ben Gazzara is pitch-perfect as the fat bucks protagonist, Jeff Healey, and his band provide a killer rock 'n' blues soundtrack, there's a shitload of fighting, loads of great lines, sexy (and badass) ladies, some great laughs, and... yes, real explosions! Oh yeah, Benny "The Jet" Urquidez prepped Swayze as his fight trainer (you can see him in a brief cameo too).

46 minutes ago, WangYu said:

Love the Swayze one and this looks equally good!

You said it, man. I'm ready.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

16 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Same here. When I first saw him in DONNY DARKO I was blown away. He's done a lot of great stuff, but NIGHTCRAWLER is another standout.

I'd have to go with 'Prisoners' as a personal favourite!

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 12:52 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

I can't say I blame him for being pissed off.

Everyone who loves cinema (that would be everyone on this site/forum) and theater-going in particular should read that linked article. Liman has a lot of good points and we should back him up. When I first heard about this remake I thought it seemed like as bad an idea as the sequel without Patrick Swayze and the musical version- terrible. But after watching the trailer I was completely turned around and thought this is worth seeing in the theater and seems perfect for the big screen. How ironic then to read the above article the very next day. I saw the original in the theater and thought seeing this remake with my son would be neat, especially as he's a big fan of Jake Gyllenhaal. So, thanks for nothing Amazon.

Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/road-house-remake-drama-verbal-abuse-distribution-plans-jake-gyllenhaal-1235909744/

PandaPawPaw

I was going to say Conor McGregor is an annoying you know what but that means he's probably right for the role.

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 1

Major news!!! Road House got hit with a lawsuit...it might not come out on March 21 or even at all. The original screenwriter is suing MGM as he was supposed to have the rights back in November 2023 but production ended in January due to the SAG-AFTRA strikes. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jake-gyllanhaals-road-house-remake-hit-with-explosive-lawsuit

Edited by AlbertV
  • Confused 1

What is it with this movie and everyone seemingly taking the piss out of it!? Give me a break, I need this!

giphy.webp?cid=790b7611b8x3p609t6sxnm7af

Edited by laagi

AlbertV
On 2/28/2024 at 5:30 PM, AlbertV said:

Major news!!! Road House got hit with a lawsuit...it might not come out on March 21 or even at all. The original screenwriter is suing MGM as he was supposed to have the rights back in November 2023 but production ended in January due to the SAG-AFTRA strikes. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jake-gyllanhaals-road-house-remake-hit-with-explosive-lawsuit

One can only guess with the intended premiere at SXSW this week and soon to be release on Amazon Prime, chances are there's going to be a settlement between Hill and Amazon in time. 

https://www.indiewire.com/news/analysis/amazon-ai-finish-road-house-lawsuit-analysis-1234958615/

PandaPawPaw
1 hour ago, laagi said:

Ice Cube Movie GIF

So much for this needed a theatrical release...

I'm sure

11465099.gif

It looks like it'd be good popcorn fun.................

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I saw a number of glowing reviews on Twitter/X but one thing that stood out was a certain reviewer saying he was shocked by how many moments in the fight scenes were CGI'd. Now, I don't know what this means exactly (digital doubles?) but it can't be a good thing.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I'm sure

11465099.gif

It looks like it'd be good popcorn fun.................

Judy Sheindlin GIF by Judge Judy

• Like 1

AlbertV
1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

I saw a number of glowing reviews on Twitter/X but one thing that stood out was a certain reviewer saying he was shocked by how many moments in the fight scenes were CGI'd. Now, I don't know what this means exactly (digital doubles?) but it can't be a good thing.

This might be part of the reason why the original writer said in his lawsuit there was AI used in the film. This could be what he was talking about. 

26 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

This might be part of the reason why the original writer said in his lawsuit there was AI used in the film. This could be what he was talking about. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but that was only for "voices" used in the re-make from what I've read.