Road House (2024) - Jake Gyllenhaal, Billy Magnussen, Hannah Love Lanier, Daniela Melchior, Conor McGregor

AlbertV

Dark Horizons:

MGM is set to remake the 1989 cult classic "Roadhouse" with Rob Cohen ("The Fast and the Furious," "xXx") attached to direct.

Patrick Swayze and Kelly Lynch starred in the original which followed a tough bouncer with a past is hired to tame a dirty bar in Missouri and ends up taking on a corrupt businessman.

Rowdy Herrington directed the original which was famous for its brutal violence being so over the top it became high camp - Swayze famously ripping a guy's throat out with one hand in one scene.

Michael Stokes ("Crash Bandits") wrote the script for the remake which continues MGM's plans in recent years to exploit its library titles.

Okay, who should play Dalton in this one???

Edited by AlbertV

It'll end up being Kellan Lutz or some other "new face," I'm sure. It's pretty safe to move this to the "World Cinema" section as there's no way Hollywood will put anyone with any kind of martial arts talent in it.

Roadhouse barely cracked the Top 40 in box office receipts for 1989. Not exactly a familiar movie for anyone 30 and under. It was a cool 80s flick that Swayze made at the height of his popularity but not exactly the best idea for a remake. I understand the financial reasons for HW remaking films but Roadhouse? Really?

I guess HW made big-money with their last Swayze remake? Let's see...

Red Dawn (2012) grossed USD$45m (budget was "ouch" $65m!) That's a little more than the 1984 release made ($38m) ... and tickets were a lot cheaper 30 years ago. Sounds like the 2012 remake was a big bomb to moi (haha). Hopefully for HW this remake will be better than the last one. Yes .... Road House 2: Last Call was a straight to disc flick in 2006.

So go on MGM ... throw in a bunch of bullets, blood, half naked tarts, toilet humor and an explosion here and there and you'll keep the X-box gen content. Me? I'll just pop in the '89 flick and save myself a buck.

"Calling me sir is like putting an elevator in an outhouse. It don't belong."

• Like 1

Guest Markgway

Note to Hollywood:

Stop f**king remaking every f**king classic action or horror movie made at a time when you guys actually knew how to make these f**king movies without f**king CGI or f**king annoying little twerps in the lead roles. F**king stop it!

I'll only be interested if they remake it with the scene where Swayze tears the guys throat out & looks confused as to why it shocked the chick he's trying to bed :tongue:

that move usually gets all the girls doesnt it?

Remakes are mostly the reason why I stopped going to the cinema. Its not that the remakes can`t be entertaining but I feel they are just so empty. I`m starting to get that same feeling from all the current HK cinema films too.

Guest Markgway
I'll only be interested if they remake it with the scene where Swayze tears the guys throat out & looks confused as to why it shocked the chick he's trying to bed :tongue:

that move usually gets all the girls doesnt it?

The scumbag deserved it. It annoyed me that Kelly Lynch was so bitchy about it.

Note to Hollywood:

Stop f**king remaking every f**king classic action or horror movie made at a time when you guys actually knew how to make these f**king movies without f**king CGI or f**king annoying little twerps in the lead roles. F**king stop it!

I fully agree. Roadhouse is a cult classic.Leave it alone!

TibetanWhiteCrane
I fully agree. Roadhouse is a cult classic.Leave it alone!

So was

Assault on Precint 13

Halloween

The Thing

The Fog

Friday the 13th

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Fright Night

Red Dawn

Karate Kid

Robocop

Total Recall

Carrie

Piranha

Omen

April Fools Day

House on Sorority Row

My Bloody Valentine

The Hills Have Eyes

The Hitcher

The Longest Yard

The Mechanic

Straw Dogs

Wicker Man

Taking of Pelham 1 2 3

Walking Tall

and so on.....

Didn't stop em' then, not gonna stop em' now.

This shit can't get my blood boiling anymore, im over Hollywood... don't watch em', don't care.

• Like 1

They just came out with Road House 2 seven years ago and already a reboot...can you imagine someone mistake it as Road House 3?

WTH knows...

Did anyone see Road House 2?

ShaOW!linDude

I did. It's okay. Some of the fight action isn't bad, but I don't recall it really stacking up to the original.

I do not want to see this remade, but studios are gonna do what they wanna do. If the fight action is on a par with the first, then I'm cool with that. My expectations at the moment, however, are nil.

Road House 2...story was utter baloney (virtual rehash of original with the main character, FBI agent Shane Tanner revealed to be Dalton's son?!). I did like the action, which was choreographed by J.J. Perry...even Richard Norton gets a little action in before losing to Dalton's kin.

Well, as you all heard by now, Dalton is now going to be played by....Ronda Rousey! She even got her blessing from Lisa Niemi, Patrick Swayze's widow. Of course, she's all nervous now because she doesn't want to mess it up. But she's making the film sometime in mid-2016 due to her upcoming fight and her work on Mile 22 with Mark Walhberg and Iko Uwais. 

Nick Cassavetes will be writing and directing the remake of Road House that will star Ronda Rousey. Many will know Cassavetes as not only the son of prolific director John Cassavetes, but he is known for his roles in 80's films The Wraith and Blind Fury. 

I wonder if this is going to be a complete re-make of the original or some kind of spin off?. They could make Ronda Rousey Daltons daughter in the new film?.

I think it's going to be a full-on remake. The main character in 2006's Road House 2 was Dalton's son, an FBI agent who found out the troublemaker at his uncle's bar was the same guy who killed Dalton. (Yep, they killed him off)

• Sad 1

51NFTRERJ5L.jpg

Here's the DVD cover...

And here's something very funny...Taimak (The Last Dragon) starred in an off-Broadway version of Road House...as Dalton!!!

roadhouse_1069778482_1071005230.jpg

The full title was: 

Road House: The Stage Version Of The Cinema Classic That Starred Patrick Swayze, Except This One Stars Taimak From The 80's Cult Classic "The Last Dragon"

Edited by AlbertV

51NFTRERJ5L.jpg

Here's the DVD cover...

And here's something very funny...Taimak (The Last Dragon) starred in an off-Broadway version of Road House...as Dalton!!!

roadhouse_1069778482_1071005230.jpg

The full title was: 

Road House: The Stage Version Of The Cinema Classic That Starred Patrick Swayze, Except This One Stars Taimak From The 80's Cult Classic "The Last Dragon"

lmao, that picture from Roadhouse stage version cracked me up. Too bad they used up the sibling idea in the sequel.

• Haha 1

ShaOW!linDude

If they're going to do a remake, then do one. It doesn't have to be tied to the original necessarily. In fact, I'd almost prefer it not be.

I hate to be the resident killjoy regarding this matter but seriously...Is this what it has come to? Reboots/Remakes? No more original ideas anymore huh? And then if you're gonna do a reboot of a past movie,why not do one that's in need of it? Does Road House need a remake? IMO I don't think so.And then to complicate matters,They pick this broad? Ronda Rousey? She's getting too much attention and expectation for my taste.

If she didn't have that UFC belt she wouldn't even matter right now.Just because you're a champion in a sport doesn't make you star material.That's like saying,"Hey Andy On  looks good as a screen fighter so let's put him in the UFC!"We've only have a few exceptions in that area.I don't consider her one of them.I think Gina Carano is more marketable than she is and she was never a champ although she participated in the same sport but she has star qualities about her.In any case,Whether if they try to cast Ronda as "Dalton's daughter,sister,cousin or even try to breathe fresh life into this project with a new direction it's not good move in my opinion.Just like this crow reboot.But hey,what do I know? 

BURN HOLLYWOOD,BURN....

Well, for those who missed it, there is a new script and a new director since it was first announced. Nick Cassavetes (son of John), a one-time staple of 80's and early 90's B-movie action films (the lead villain in The Wraith, one of the goofball thugs in Blind Fury, and played the male hero lead in Class of 1999 II against Sasha Mitchell's villain), is writing the script and will be directing the film as well. 

If Ronda is going to play Dalton, they should cast Gina in the Sam Elliott role. LOL

Edited by AlbertV