The Night Comes for Us (2018)

VenomsFan

I'd say it's better than The Raid 2, the gore kinda reminds of another Iko's film, Headshot, but cranked up to the max. I agree that it's hardly a pure MA film, those are mostly brawls but God, so much thought was put in choreographing them, adding the make-up, CGI and such. High quality product

• Like 4

This is one of the times that a film delay works in our (the Asian movie viewing community) favor.

Remember the Weinstein Company originally had the distribution rights for this movie. And we know Harvey Weinstein track record of cutting & edition Asian movies that his company releases. With a 2 hour running time and the violence in there then very likely he would have re-cut/re-edited the movie.

• Like 2

This is fantastic, the violence is so over the top and the gore is really well done.  As has already been said the acting isn't always up to par, but it's so enjoyable that it doesn't really matter.  

3 hours ago, thekfc said:

This is one of the times that a film delay works in our (the Asian movie viewing community) favor.

Remember the Weinstein Company originally had the distribution rights for this movie. And we know Harvey Weinstein track record of cutting & edition Asian movies that his company releases. With a 2 hour running time and the violence in there then very likely he would have re-cut/re-edited the movie.

Do you think he would have left the scene in where Fatih's niece is about to be snatched from the back of his car in the underground car park and she pulls out that knife?  :pandakungfu 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, D1 Ma said:

Starts a bit slow, the first Iko's fight in a club is weirdly slow and kinda amateurish and that got me worried. But after that action was almost non-stop

Pros - a real gore fest, never saw so much gore in a MA film. Special make-up and CGI effects are very good, nothing looks cheap. Inventive and creative action choreo. Quite a few cringe-worthy and wow! moments

Cons - all the action was kinda slow, lacking that natural flow that is present in best action movies. It's hard to explain. Maybe, the action needed to be sped up a bit.  I dunno. It wasnt frantic, non-stop movement, like in Raid, for example. Even the fights were somewhat slow-moving. Although, what the action lacked in pacing was  completely compensated by the originality. And gore. So much gore

I'd say it's a pretty unique movie. I can't compare it to any other film, I think it stands on it's own. Definitely was worth the wait. Wanna see it again. Can't wait for the Bluray, subs, no subs, doesnt matter

For better or worse (worse) I’m not expecting this film to get released on Blu-ray anytime soon because it’s a Netflix exclusive 

Edited by mark187

15 hours ago, wasilewski said:

Do you think he would have left the scene in where Fatih's niece is about to be snatched from the back of his car in the underground car park and she pulls out that knife?  

With a 2 hour running time, that movie would have surely be cut and that scene with the girl would have been a prime candidate to be cut. I could also see the short fight with Iko and Diandra being completely cut out.

• Like 2

Great film,great direction and performances,as mentioned the fight scenes are a little slow(maybe undercranking required now and again)but it doesn’t take anything away from the scenes and in a way it adds to them.This is well worth the time.👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

20 mins in so far, The whole Triad thing; again with this?Donnie did like 50 of these movies, Johnny To made classics with Election 1,2,3.  I mean I know the Triads are a horrible bunch and they do bad things but can I just get Iko and Joe kicking the shit out of some Indonesian thugs lead by maddog? Is Bat Boy and Machete Girl on hiatus? Where is Sasha Baron Cohen lookalike with a limp at? Do they have to be so on the nose with the Triad stuff? How about a made up gang name organization? It's the movies, make that shit up! The pencak silat is still there, more of that please. I only saw 20 mins, I'm sure there is more of it. There's one actor in the raid films who I am a big fan of but doesn't get a lot of recognition and that guy who plays Iko's brother. He was also brother in merantau. Is he in this movie? I'm not looking for the Raid movies, just looking for actors from those movies in good fun action romp.  Again I only saw 20 mins! Bear with me. 

• Like 1

@OpiumKungFuCracker, have you finish watching the movie yet?

If not then go back and watch it from the beginning and enjoy it.

9 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Is Bat Boy and Machete Girl on hiatus?

Are you referring to Hammer girl? if so then she is in the movie and she was my favorite character in the movie....I think she (almost) stole the movie.

thugs lead by maddog?

He is coming soon....In John Wick 3: Parabellum.

• Like 1

that guy who plays Iko's brother

He can be seen in the upcoming movie Buffalo Boys

Here is a thread on the movie.

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

@thekfc Thank you! I'll be sure to check out Buffalo boys and John Wick 3. I haven't gone back to the night come for us yet. I decided to watch Memories of Murder instead. 

• Like 1

Martin Sandison gives his thoughts on this one, ovet at CityonFire.Com

Link- http://cityonfire.com/the-night-comes-for-us-2018-review/

Be some time before I get round to this one, but from the reviews/comments I've read, it appears people either adore it, or dimiss it as OTT.

Julie Estelle and Joe Taslim, take a break from the carnage.

MV5BYWNmOWFjZjgtZDIwOS00YTQzLTkzODQtMGQ4

• Like 1

I don’t see OTT as a bad thing and feel sorry for those that can’t enjoy extreme films. This film is very over the top and that’s why I love it. It’s insanely violent and plays it all with a straight face. That’s rare. That’s bold.

It all just worked for me. I can’t condemn this movie at all. I don’t even agree with those that said we’ve seen it all before. Sure, the plot is nothing new but the action is unique and exciting .

• Like 6

ShaOW!linDude

Wow. Just...wow! 

You know, it's unusual for a film that's been shelved for years, when it does manage to finally get released, to exceed the expectations of earlier hype that is almost all but forgotten. But The Night Comes For Us does that very thing. Many talk about how gory it gets, and it does, but it is the exhausting brutality of the fight scenes that is so captivating.  Taslim's character takes beating after beating and endures. Iko's character is so fun to watch. He seems so calm and then bam! He's off the chain. The end fight is magnificent. It's not flashy. It's grueling. It makes you wince. It makes you cringe. It makes you slide off the couch into the floor because you're on the edge of your seat. Once again, these Indonesian guys know how to stage and ramp up the action. I put this on par with the 2 Raid films but with grittier fight scenes. I need this on dvd. There are a ton of segment I want to rewatch and slo-mo.

This may well be the best end fight I've seen this year.

(Sorry, @OpiumKungFuCracker. No Indonesian Sasha Baron Cohen reject to be found here.)

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

This film is very over the top and that’s why I love it. It’s insanely violent and plays it all with a straight face. That’s rare. That’s bold.

Would you say The Raid films, Headshot,  played the over the top style with a straight face?.

OpiumKungFuCracker
18 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Martin Sandison gives his thoughts on this one, ovet at CityonFire.Com

Link- http://cityonfire.com/the-night-comes-for-us-2018-review/

Be some time before I get round to this one, but from the reviews/comments I've read, it appears people either adore it, or dimiss it as OTT.

Julie Estelle and Joe Taslim, take a break from the carnage.

MV5BYWNmOWFjZjgtZDIwOS00YTQzLTkzODQtMGQ4

10/10 rating, really? I only saw 20 mins but I just don't have the desire to finish it. Not yet at least. 10/10, lol 

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

Mission Impossible Fallout got an 8/10 rating and that movie was the best action movie of 2018 according to the general public. If Night come for us gets a 10/10 rating then shit...... I need to jump back on it, right? 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 2:52 AM, mark187 said:

Please release this on Bluray in Hong Kong since a US blu is unlikely. Manhunt is listed as a Netflix film, and I know it was on HK blu before Netflix but it came out on Japanese BD after Netflix so that gives me some hope this could potentially see a Blu-ray release outside of the US?!

When Netflix gets the distribution right for a movie they use that to their advantage by not (allowing any) physical media release so they can get (new) subscribers to their service. If a Physical media is release then it is usually about a year afterwords. 

I am not sure if their distribution right is worldwide for this movie (XYZ Films holds the theatrical world-wide rights) and unless an other company comes up with the distribution rights for SEA/EA then there may be a long wait.

OpiumKungFuCracker
31 minutes ago, thekfc said:

When Netflix gets the distribution right for a movie they use that to their advantage by not (allowing any) physical media release so they can get (new) subscribers to their service. If a Physical media is release then it is usually about a year afterwords. 

I am not sure if their distribution right is worldwide for this movie (XYZ Films holds the theatrical world-wide rights) and unless an other company comes up with the distribution rights for SEA/EA then there may be a long wait.

That's the sole reason why I hate netflix. Anyone get furious when the opening credits came up and showed, 'A Netflix Original film?' Like bitch, you had as much input as me in this movie and that's a big fat 0!!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

That's the sole reason why I hate netflix. Anyone get furious when the opening credits came up and showed, 'A Netflix Original film?' Like bitch, you had as much input as me in this movie and that's a big fat 0!!!!

This happened to me countless times... My thoughts exactly :rofl

As for the movie, this is one hell of a ride. A bit slow at first but once it takes off, it's straight to the face. I can attest to everything positive that's been said on here already. The end fight is incredible! Noteworthy for me and also something that stands out is the female action. Julie Estelle is one bad ass motherf***er! Sorry for the language but it's a joy to watch a female lead so graceful and deadly at the same time. Highly recommended viewing. Great stuff!

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

Need to see it again to truly comprehend what I saw, but I'm pretty sure I loved it.

I read a review which said the film was "fight horror" which is a great term and if you all agree then I'll pretend I made it up.

Iko and Joe Taslim were fantastic as was the whole cast.

And now I need a Julie Estelle starring spin-off or, at the very least, an action figure.  Stat.

• Like 5

Yeah apparently Netflix owns worldwide exclusive rights so I guess no Blu-rays allowed in Hong Kong or anywhere else. :( maybe and hopefully  one day Netflix will decide to release its own movies on physical copies, but so far they’ve never released a single one !

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mark187 said:

Yeah apparently Netflix owns worldwide exclusive rights so I guess no Blu-rays allowed in Hong Kong or anywhere else. :( maybe and hopefully  one day Netflix will decide to release its own movies on physical copies, but so far they’ve never released a single one !

You would thnk theyed be happier getting money from both markets?, but I dont tihnk thats there agenda, they want people to subscribe to their service. They recently acquired a British show called The Last Kingdom, from the BBC, but theyve no plans to release the third season on disc. Between online serives and Blu-Ray purchases, increasing cinmea prices, are fans paying more than ever for their entertainment?.

7 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

LMAO, yeah, a creative and hard working team produce a film and show, and they get to put their name up their first. NetFlix presents would be more honest maybe?.