The Night Comes for Us (2018)

VenomsFan

Good point, but didn't 'The Raid 2' underperform at the US box office, to such a degree that the original actually did better? So I wouldn't say mentioning it would necessarily guarantee funding.

Interesting perspective, but it was Merantau Films (Gareth Evan's production company) & XYZ Films (Todd Brown's production company) who were behind this, both of which have become pretty respected in the action movie industry, and which we can probably presume will also be behind future projects of all who were going to be involved. So abandoning the production would kind of be like biting the hand that feeds. Perhaps I'm just an optimist, and the positive side of me doesn't want your theory to be real reason why it was cancelled.

Well, then they'd mention THE RAID. :) Regardless of its box office, I believe it still made a substantial profit, considering it was a subtitled/foreign movie that only played in a handful of theaters.

Maybe they're dropping it and going straight to RAID 3. :)

sifu iron perm
Well, then they'd mention THE RAID. :) Regardless of its box office, I believe it still made a substantial profit, considering it was a subtitled/foreign movie that only played in a handful of theaters.

Maybe they're dropping it and going straight to RAID 3. :)

that's what i think too, evans has announced part 3 right?

ShaOW!linDude
that's what i think too, evans has announced part 3 right?

He did, but he talked like it would be about 3-4 years down the road as he had another project or 2 he wanted to do first.

• Administrator

I talked to one of the inside guys about what happened, and asked if it could be shared here. He's going to make sure with everyone else on the production that it's cool to talk about it, and if it is, you'll get the scoop here soon.

One Armed Boxer
First Johnny Tri-Nguyen's film and now this. What a shame.

The big difference here though is that Nguyen's 'Chinatown' was shot and completed, so we still have a chance of seeing it some day.

KFB - Looking forward to the scoop.

Ito (Joe Taslim), a gangland enforcer, caught amidst a treacherous and violent insurrection within his Triad crime family upon his return home from a stint abroad. IMDB Synopsis

MV5BMGE4NTdiYjktMDUxNy00ODlhLWFkYWQtNWYy

night_comes_for_us_03_4web__large.jpg

night_comes_for_us_02_4web__large.jpg

night_comes_for_us_01_4web__large.jpg

• Like 1

This is getting rave reviews as expected! The question is, being that it sounds as if Netflix bought exclusive rights apparently, will it ever get a Blu-ray release or is it destined to be a streaming exclusive indefinitely??

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

Oh dear god yees!!! I remember the announcement 5 years ago on the debunked KFC chatter remember that? Why netflix?? I'd pay to see this in a theater. 

P.S: I'm not a fan of netflix, I think their selection is as bad as a redbox at a 7/11,hahahah!

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
1 hour ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

P.S: I'm not a fan of netflix, I think their selection is as bad as a redbox at a 7/11,hahahah!

Understandable, though they are getting better with some of what they offer now. They've added in a lot of Shaw Bros. stuff. They have the Thai series Monkey Twins. And they threw Jailbreak on there when it came out. 

• Like 2

This is going to be my Friday night film, I'm really looking forward to this one.  I didn't want to read any reviews, in case they gave spoilers, but it has 7.6 on IMDB which is good!

In the beginning, I was thinking this was going to be not so good because the choreo and  shots were off(still wonders about that). Definitely worth the watch, I give this a thumbs up.:bs_thumbsup:

Edited by slinky#1

Everyone who liked The Raid films should like this! It was worth the wait! Best action movie of the year! It was better than I expected and I had high expectations. Iko was awesome! Julie Estelle was awesome! And finally the fight camera work was really clean. Please release this on Bluray in Hong Kong since a US blu is unlikely. Manhunt is listed as a Netflix film, and I know it was on HK blu before Netflix but it came out on Japanese BD after Netflix so that gives me some hope this could potentially see a Blu-ray release outside of the US?!

Starts a bit slow, the first Iko's fight in a club is weirdly slow and kinda amateurish and that got me worried. But after that action was almost non-stop

Pros - a real gore fest, never saw so much gore in a MA film. Special make-up and CGI effects are very good, nothing looks cheap. Inventive and creative action choreo. Quite a few cringe-worthy and wow! moments

Cons - all the action was kinda slow, lacking that natural flow that is present in best action movies. It's hard to explain. Maybe, the action needed to be sped up a bit.  I dunno. It wasnt frantic, non-stop movement, like in Raid, for example. Even the fights were somewhat slow-moving. Although, what the action lacked in pacing was  completely compensated by the originality. And gore. So much gore

I'd say it's a pretty unique movie. I can't compare it to any other film, I think it stands on it's own. Definitely was worth the wait. Wanna see it again. Can't wait for the Bluray, subs, no subs, doesnt matter

• Like 1

If you are expecting The Raid (and you really shouldn’t be. We need to stop comparing all films with Indonesian action actors to The Raid) you may very well be letdown by this one. With that said, it’s in my top three movies of the year.

This film is fantastic.

Sinxe no one else has said, I’ll say it: I don’t think this film is a martial arts film. It’s a straight up action film with martial arts elements. The fights are slow but I think it’s a personal choice of the director. Every fight is chock full of DESPERATION. Everyone is fighting for their lives. It’s brutal, raw, scrappy. I don’t think there’s meant to be style on show. In fact, when “proper” martial arts pop up, you can really see it (Iko in the final fight). I just don’t think the fights are meant to have a visually appealing rhythm.

The gore. Oh, the gore! Is this the bloodiest action film since the last Rambo installment? It’s soooo violent. And it’s great.

Also, it’s wonderfully directed. Acted too.

All in all this won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but, by God, it was mine. I loved every second of it.

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

Hearing good things guys, Can't wait to see it.  Is this better than Kung Fu Killer? Remember that junk? Donnie Yen in a UPS cosplay fighting in prison. Yeah, it sucked. 

37 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Hearing good things guys, Can't wait to see it.  Is this better than Kung Fu Killer? Remember that junk? Donnie Yen in a UPS cosplay fighting in prison. Yeah, it sucked. 

I actually liked Kung Fu Killer but comparing the two is an apples and oranges situation. This film is grittier and less “fun” than Donnie’s film. And the action scenes are vastly different.

Given the choice, I’d rather watch The Night Comes For Us.

• Like 1