The best Hammer movies...

Tosh

Figured this was as good a place as any to ask this, over Halloween I was digging through my movies trying to find some horror to watch, I use to be a big horror fan, but once the practical effect magic stated getting replaced by cgi my interest in the genre has gone by the wayside the last 15 years(I loath the scream movies).

I managed to pull out a couple old Hammer movies - Taste the Blood of Dracula, Horror of Dracula and Frankenstein must be Destroyed, all pretty great! I've seen some of these movies as a kid, indeed some were a little jarring watching them back in the late 70's. What are the must see films?

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

Big Hammer fan at one time. Vampire Circus and Capt Kronos, Vampire Hunter are two good, cult flicks. They were very similar to Shaw brothers- they had their own Ku Feng, Michael Ripper, who seemed to be in almost all of them. You can see most of them on Youtube or upload from Netflix, or some of those free movie sites with public content.

• Like 1

Yeah I have the SB co-productions. The Revenge of Frankenstein 1958 looks like a good one, I think they made 5 or 6 Frankenstein movies? I just love the old Victorian settings they created for these movies, is there some kind of boxset out there?

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

The Mummy

Curse of Frankenstein

Kiss of the Vampire

Brides of Dracula

Curse of the Werewolf

Dracula, Prince of Darkness

Dracula has Risen from the Grave

Dracula A.D. 1972

Scars of Dracula

Satanic Rites of Dracula

Revenge of Frankenstein

Evil of Frankenstein

Horror of Frankenstein

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell

Frankenstein Created Woman

Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde

Curse of the Mummy's Tomb

The Mummy’s Shroud

Blood from the Mummy’s Tomb

Vampire Circus

Vampire Lovers

Lust for a Vampire

Countess Dracula

Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter

Twins of Evil

Phantom of the Opera

The Reptile

The Gorgon

Plague of the Zombies

Hands of the Ripper

The Man Who Could Cheat Death

The Devil Rides Out

Rasputin The Mad Monk

sifu iron perm

Huge hammer and amicus fan.

The gorgon

Rasputin the mad monk

Dracula aka horror of

Curse of frank

Brides of drac

Captain kronos

Mummy's shroud

Captain clegg

The nanny

• Like 1

odioustrident

A lot of people don't like Captain Kronos but it could be my favorite Hammer film next to Devil Rides Out.

One title I didn't really enjoy was Dracula AD 1972 and even that has its merits.

A few good thrillers with strong horror elements are also worth a mention:

Four Sided Triangle

Paranoiac

Crescendo

Fear in the Night

Lost Continent is another favorite.. but I've heard fans find it a little slow at first.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

I have always felt Capt Kronos was a classic, and I heard that they (Hammer) had hoped to start a series. It is really the first of the vampire hunters where he is an expert at combat- a la Buffy, Angel, etc, and not just "lucky" in fights, such as Peter Cushing as Van Helsing. Not that Cushing didn't participate in well staged action scenes, but they were not the same as Kronos. Lost Continent is a camp classic. They had a lot of good Mummy movies as well. Frankenstein created women is another great one. The list goes on and on.

• Like 1

I just love the old Victorian settings they created for these movies, is there some kind of boxset out there?

R1:

Icons of Horror Collection: Hammer Films (The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb / Scream of Fear / The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll / The Gorgon)

Hammer Horror Series (Brides of Dracula / Curse of the Werewolf / Phantom of the Opera (1962) / Paranoiac / Kiss of the Vampire / Nightmare / Night Creatures / Evil of Frankenstein)

4 Film Favorites: Draculas (Dracula A.D. 1972, Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, Horror of Dracula, Taste the Blood of Dracula)

Hammer Horror Collection (3 Film Set) (Dracula Prince of Darkness/The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires/Frankenstein Created Woman)

TCM Greatest Classic Film Collection: Hammer Horror (Horror of Dracula / Dracula Has Risen from the Grave / The Curse of Frankenstein / Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed)

R2

The Ultimate Hammer Collection

('She' (1965), 'The Nanny' (1965), 'One Million Years BC' (1966), 'The Plague of the Zombies' (1966), 'The Witches' (1966), 'Rasputin the Mad Monk' (1966), 'The Reptile (1966), 'Dracula Prince of Darkness' (1966), 'Quatermass and the Pit' (1967), 'Prehistoric Women' (1967), 'The Viking Queen' (1967), 'Frankenstein Created Woman' (1967), 'The Vengeance of She' (1968), 'The Devil Rides Out' (1968), 'The Horror of Frankenstein' (1970), 'Scars of Dracula' (1970), 'To the Devil a Daughter' (1976), 'Blood from the Mummy's Tomb' (1971), 'Demons of the Mind' (1972), 'Fear in the Night' (1972) and 'Straight on Till Morning' (1972))

• Like 1

sifu iron perm

the set up of taste the blood was brilliant then it just faded into something average.

Roy Kinnear and Ralph Bates were great.

• Like 1

Guest Markgway

Most of the Hammer films I've seen on the Horror Channel were uncut and widescreen (1.66); I guess it depends on the title?

My favourite Hammer Horror?

film-twins-of-evil.jpg

I wish Synapse had access to this wonderful artwork.

Huge Hammer fan. My favorites would be:

The Mummy. Great atmosphere and action. What's better than Peter Cushing blasting the mummy with a shotgun, and then ramming a harpoon through him?

Dracula, Prince of Darkness. I never thought of Hammer films as scary--to me, they're kind of horror-themed mystery-action movies. But this one has a real feeling of dread to it. Great pacing and atmosphere in this one, IMO. Suzan Farmer is SO beautiful. Andrew Keir is fantastic as the priest.

Curse of the Mummy's Tomb. A little on the slow side, but heavy on the Hammer atmosphere.

Brides of Dracula. Prime Cushing!

The Gorgon. Another great Lee/Cushing pairing. I like this story a lot.

The Devil Rides Out. Great sense of real evil in this one, and Lee is superb.

Frankenstein Must be Destroyed. Another solid entry, with Cushing as an extremely cold and nasty Dr. Frankenstein.

Dracula AD 1972. This one always reminds me of the Marvel comics Dracula---great 70's vibe.

But really, I see Hammer movies as being very similar to Shaw Brothers----if you like their general vibe, they're all pretty good.

• Like 2

wongfeihung62

Being a person of a certain age, I grew up watching Hammer films on the TV here in the UK, long before the advent of video and DVD/Blu Ray.

My favourites have to be Vampire Circus, Legend of the 7 Golden Vampies and Quatermass and the Pit. Dracula aka Horror of Dracula was released on BD recently with two extra previously thought lost scenes.

• Like 3

Just watched Captain Kronos.

I thought it was pretty awesome, makes me want to see more Hammer movies. Kinda had a “western” feel set in a medieval European setting. Pretty engaging story, cool characters, and even a decent little sword fight at the end.

• Like 3

sifu iron perm
On 3/1/2020 at 11:20 PM, paimeifist said:

Just watched Captain Kronos.

I thought it was pretty awesome, makes me want to see more Hammer movies. Kinda had a “western” feel set in a medieval European setting. Pretty engaging story, cool characters, and even a decent little sword fight at the end.

Captain Kronos is one of my afve hammer also, it's connected to the karnstein trilogy (the vampire lovers, lust for a vampire and twins of evil)..this was meant to be made into a tv series. 

• Like 2

On 3/10/2020 at 5:38 AM, sifu iron perm said:

Captain Kronos is one of my afve hammer also, it's connected to the karnstein trilogy (the vampire lovers, lust for a vampire and twins of evil)..this was meant to be made into a tv series. 

Thanks, I’m going to try to watch the rest of those.

• Like 2

Just watch Twins of Evil on Amazon Prime.

Was really good. These movies feel more like “horror themed drama” than horror movies. I found the fact that there were no truly righteous “Hero” characters interesting. Peter Cushing was awesome.

• Like 2

ShaolinMapache

It's been mentioned but Satanic Rites of Dracula is such a classic it's my absolute favorite. The last one to have Christopher Lee play Dracula. Satanic Rites is my favorite Dracula film from Hammer and really my favorite Dracula movie period. 

• Like 2

"Horror of Dracula(1958)" is the best in my opinion. Yeah, it doesn't follow the book at all really, but the story they crafted was really entertaining. Besides, you cannot really go wrong when you have both Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing in your movie. 

• Like 2

sifu iron perm

the devil rides out

rasputin mad monk

evil of frankenstein

frankenstein created woman

dracula 

brides of dracula

captain clegg--underrated

captain cronos..potentially to be a classic..great idea and set pieces!!

the hammer non horror's were great too-

Crescendo

taste of fear

paranoic

• Like 3