Gorath (Toho movie, 1962)

Secret Executioner

Secret Executioner

Being into sci-fi cinema AND into Toho's movies, I'm surprised I hadn't found out about this one until now - I actually head of it because it seems (according to IMDB) stock footage from it was used in the whacky 1972 sci-fi movie known as Doomsday Machine AKA Armaggedon 1975 and various other titles.

The story is rather clichee and has been used in countless films: a bew astral body has been discovered and it seems Earth is right in its path. The twist is that this time, Earth will be moved away - something that while a saving grace may cause some trouble: destruction of the Moon, earthquakes and also the appearance of a gigantic monster called Maguma that looks like a walrues (a part which is absent from the American theatrical/TV release of the film).

The film seems hard to find as well, as the only DVD release that seems to exist is a Japanese release with Japanese only - no subtitles or alternative dub.

Anybody knows more of this one or (even better) has actually seen it ?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still looking for a good release of this one. For years as a kid I read about movies like The Mysterians, Atragon, Battle in Outer Space, Dogora, H-Man, and others---and I finally got to see all those in the last 5-10 years, as they've been released in good-quality dvds. But no Gorath. Still haven't seen it.

Secret Executioner
Still looking for a good release of this one. For years as a kid I read about movies like The Mysterians, Atragon, Battle in Outer Space, Dogora, H-Man, and others---and I finally got to see all those in the last 5-10 years, as they've been released in good-quality dvds. But no Gorath. Still haven't seen it.

Some of the titles listed here are available in movie packs like these:

Toho pack

Icons Of Sci-Fi: Toho Collection

Not sure what the audio/video quality is like, but these sets look pretty nice.

However, concerning Gorath, all I could find was this one. Still looks pretty nice, despite being only in Japanese...

there's a fan-subbed full DVD for it at torrent sites like CG and ADC, using the Japanese DVD as source. don't buy the lousy bootlegs in lower Quality.

Archived