Marvel Announce 4 TV Shows - Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & Jessica Jones

Karlos

Supporting cast of 'Daredevil' revealed by Marvel

Rob Morgan as Turk Barrett, a small time and not too bright crook who often crosses paths with Daredevil.

Matt Gerald as Melvin Potter, a machinist caught in a tricky situation. In the comics, he becomes the super villain Gladiator.

Peter Shinkoda as Nobu, a Japanese businessman who is an ally of the Kingpin but has his own agenda.

Wai Ching Ho as Madame Gao, a powerful woman running her own trade.

Nikolai Nikolaeff and Gideon Emery as two Russian brothers named Vladimir and Anatoly who have come to America to forge new lives.upporting cast revealed:

Drunken Monk

The first three episodes are fantastic and I really look forward to watching the rest. The hallway fight in episode three is one of the best TV show scraps I've ever seen.

And that's what I love about the action: Daredevil really gets fucked up. He's not immortal, he doesn't have a healing factor. He gets his and gets injured. Great stuff.

ShaOW!linDude

Agreed, DM.

I did 4 eps last and plan to do 4 tonight.:nerd:

1st ep is just loaded with action. Choreography is really good. Not too many quick cuts or hyper-editing. Though the camera angles change constantly, they keep a good flow. I could stand for it to be a little more stationary, but DD moves around a lot, and I know they have to change the camera position for certain shots. I impressed with it so far.

I'll say one thing: I know he's a little shorter and slightly more muscular, but I could see Eric Jacobus doubling for this guy.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

DAREDEVIL sounds so good! :smile:

Planned on watching it today with my lady, but she's really sick with a stomach virus/flu or something, and is sprawled out on the couch trying to sleep. If she feels better later we'll check it out.

ShaOW!linDude
The hallway fight in episode three is one of the best TV show scraps I've ever seen.

That's a good one, dude. I need to pay closer attention when I rewatch this. I saw a post on another site that noted this was done in a single take. If that's so, that's some boss sweetness, and I failed to realize it as I was so caught up in it.:bigsmile:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Well, I finally got to check it out. DAMN! It's absolute quality stuff in every way. We watched 4 episodes in a row too, and would've done more, but my better half had to hit the hay (we live in a kung fu barn, as I'm sure most of you have surmised :tongue:). Great action! I'm loving this so much. Can't believe we get the whole season all at once.

ShaOW!linDude
Well, I finally got to check it out. DAMN! It's absolute quality stuff in every way. We watched 4 episodes in a row too, and would've done more, but my better half had to hit the hay (we live in a kung fu barn, as I'm sure most of you have surmised :tongue:). Great action! I'm loving this so much. Can't believe we get the whole season all at once.

Cool beans, KFB! Yeah, it's easy to glut on this show.:tongue:

I went through the whole series this weekend and I loved it! No offense to Ben Affleck, but Charlie Cox was truly a better Matt Murdock. I was quite surprised by Elden Henson. I was used to him doing more goofball and playing the foil, but he really did well as Foggy Nelson. But Vincent D'Onofrio truly killed it as Wilson Fisk. If he doesn't get any sort of award nomination for that role, that will be injustice and Daredevil will have to kick some major butt.

Philip J. Silvera did a fantastic job with the action scenes and yes, I loved the hallway fight. Truly Oldboy-Raid inspired and Chris Brewster was the perfect stunt double for Cox.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Cool beans, KFB! Yeah, it's easy to glut on this show.:tongue:

I don't want it to end, but I can't wait to see how it turns out too. :xd:

I went through the whole series this weekend and I loved it! No offense to Ben Affleck, but Charlie Cox was truly a better Matt Murdock. I was quite surprised by Elden Henson. I was used to him doing more goofball and playing the foil, but he really did well as Foggy Nelson. But Vincent D'Onofrio truly killed it as Wilson Fisk. If he doesn't get any sort of award nomination for that role, that will be injustice and Daredevil will have to kick some major butt.

Philip J. Silvera did a fantastic job with the action scenes and yes, I loved the hallway fight. Truly Oldboy-Raid inspired and Chris Brewster was the perfect stunt double for Cox.

True, the casting in this is spot on. Cox is wonderful as Murdock/Daredevil, and I was thrilled with Henson as Foggy. He really nailed it. I felt that he was exactly how I imagined him as I read the comics. The scenes of Foggy and Karen bar-hopping were spot-on too, beautifully establishing their friendship and characters. I was also very happy with the way Matt's father's storyline was portrayed, and again it was a masterful translation of the source comics. I've always been particularly afraid of losing my sight, ever since childhood, and I'm sure that Matt Murdock's ability to overcome this was and is a huge part of the appeal of Daredevil for me. Unlike the film adaptation, I found that this loss was addressed in very realistic human terms, and there were many scenes that had a deep emotional resonance for me in these first four episodes.

As Albert said above, D'Onofrio is superb as Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin. I was nervous when I heard about his casting. When I first saw in FULL METAL JACKET (countless times), and in subsequent films MYSTIC PIZZA, JFK, ED WOOD, etc, he was a warm, naturalistic actor, and always gave excellent performances. But then I saw him on a few episodes of LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT that my wife was watching, and I thought he was terrible. So I was worried he had lost his mojo and would sink this important DD role. But Mr. D'Onofrio is back in fine acting form here, and is playing Fisk perfectly.

Oh yeah, the action. :bigsmile: It's fast and furious, filmed clearly without choppy or frenetic editing, leaning heavily towards realistic techniques, but with just enough flair to make it "Daredevil fighting". There's a few wicked aerial kicks, some flips and kips, and kickoffs from nearby walls and cars to gain momentum, height, power, and quick, evasive direction changes. Not once did I see any floaty wire-work which left me breathing a sigh of relief. In fact, though I feel sure there were wire-assisted moves, not once did it draw attention or look like it was wire-assisted. There are a couple of long, seemingly uncut takes that are spectacular. But given that it's a TV show with limited time and budget, I suspect the filmmakers digitally spiced a few takes together to create the illusion of longer takes. Either way, the action is mighty impressive! Though I mentioned the limitations that are inherent to this type of production, I must say that it doesn't show in any way, shape or form on-screen. The sets (so evocative of the comic-books' art), cinematography, writing, music... all top-notch.

To put it bluntly, I am "loving this show". And my wife, who has never read the comics, is completely hooked too and said she "can't wait to see what happens next". So if any of you were thinking on giving this a pass because you aren't familiar with the character, think again. This is character-driven, with well-drawn out individuals (though never boring) and features hard-hitting, fight action that never disappoints.

ShaOW!linDude

Got rained out today so I've binged 4 more eps leaving me the finale ep left to watch tonight!!!:nerd: I am spoiled rotten by this show!!!!:bigsmile:

But then I saw him on a few episodes of LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT that my wife was watching, and I thought he was terrible.

What? I am pleading with my wife not to smash the 'puter monitor to get to you right now. To make this statement leads me to believe you have suffered some sort of blunt force trauma to the head and are presently off your meds.:tongue: (I loved him in that, and the show went on a ratings rollercoaster with his sporadic appearances after he had health and work issues.)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Got rained out today so I've binged 4 more eps leaving me the finale ep left to watch tonight!!!:nerd: I am spoiled rotten by this show!!!!:bigsmile:

Is it still maintaining the same level of awesomeness?

What? I am pleading with my wife not to smash the 'puter monitor to get to you right now.

Uh-oh... :ooh:Why are you gettin' me in trouble with your missus Dude? Where's the "kung fu brothers code" when you need it? :squigglemouth: Well, two can play at that game... You tell her- I am very scared after hearing about how horrible and vicious a woman she is from you all the time. After all the stories you've told me about her eating live kittens, hitting you and the kids with chairs while you sleep, and drop-kicking senior citizens out of wheel-chairs... I do not want to suffer her wrath. Please tell her I'm extremely sorry for what I said. :angel:

To make this statement leads me to believe you have suffered some sort of blunt force trauma to the head and are presently off your meds.:tongue: (I loved him in that, and the show went on a ratings rollercoaster with his sporadic appearances after he had health and work issues.)

Just because those first two things are true (I stopped taking my vertigo medicine and fell off the roof while playing tag with the squirrels, striking my head on a garden gnome) doesn't mean I'm not right. :smile: The first time I saw him in an episode it was weird, I felt like maybe his character was doing a bad job of pretending to be someone else. I asked my wife about it, but she said that he was just "like that" on this show. His performance seemed really stilted and... I don't know, just phony. Sorry, that's how it came across to me. And like I said, I had always admired him in everything else. :squigglemouth:

What kind of "health and work issues" did he have?

ShaOW!linDude
Is it still maintaining the same level of awesomeness?

Oh, yeah, dude! You will only be more and more thrilled and sucked in.:xd:

Uh-oh... :ooh:Why are you gettin' me in trouble with your missus Dude? Where's the "kung fu brothers code" when you need it? :squigglemouth: Well, two can play at that game... You tell her- I am very scared after hearing about how horrible and vicious a woman she is from you all the time. After all the stories you've told me about her eating live kittens, hitting you and the kids with chairs while you sleep, and drop-kicking senior citizens out of wheel-chairs... I do not want to suffer her wrath. Please tell her I'm extremely sorry for what I said. :angel:

SHHH! I told you all that in the strictest confidence! Are you trying to get me killed?:tongue:

The first time I saw him in an episode it was weird, I felt like maybe his character was doing a bad job of pretending to be someone else. I asked my wife about it, but she said that he was just "like that" on this show. His performance seemed really stilted and... I don't know, just phony. Sorry, that's how it came across to me. And like I said, I had always admired him in everything else. :squigglemouth:

What kind of "health and work issues" did he have?

I can understand you perspective. I think part of it was his character's personality. He's not a people person, seemingly relating more to the criminals he was trying to catch by always trying to be in their state of mind.

As far as his health and work issues, he began to put on weight over the course of the show. He began experiencing blackouts on set, and then I think he was just getting burnt out. For a time, the studio brought in Chris Noth and they alternated episodes between the two. Then D'Onofrio bowed out completely and they brought in Jeff Goldblum. Eventually D'Onofrio returned in a parttime capacity again, and when the studio decided to end the show, he starred for the full season so as to give his character some semblance of closure.

If you ever feel daring enough to try it again, I'd encourage you to. I think you'd get into it, especially the eps pitting him against Olivia D'Abo who played his female nemesis. Those are some of the best ones. Lots of psychological chess-playing between them, and the dialogue is killer.

Wow! An epic finale with an end fight that will not disappoint!!!! I will be watching this show over and over in anticipation for the next Marvel series and Season 2 of DAREDEVIL.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
OSHHH! I told you all that in the strictest confidence! Are you trying to get me killed?:tongue:

If your voice is a few octaves higher the next time we speak, you only have yourself to blame. :wink:

I can understand you perspective. I think part of it was his character's personality. He's not a people person, seemingly relating more to the criminals he was trying to catch by always trying to be in their state of mind.

Oh, okay. Maybe that was it.

As far as his health and work issues, he began to put on weight over the course of the show. He began experiencing blackouts on set, and then I think he was just getting burnt out. For a time, the studio brought in Chris Noth and they alternated episodes between the two. Then D'Onofrio bowed out completely and they brought in Jeff Goldblum. Eventually D'Onofrio returned in a parttime capacity again, and when the studio decided to end the show, he starred for the full season so as to give his character some semblance of closure.

Thanks for the info. Hope he's doing better now.

If you ever feel daring enough to try it again, I'd encourage you to. I think you'd get into it, especially the eps pitting him against Olivia D'Abo who played his female nemesis. Those are some of the best ones. Lots of psychological chess-playing between them, and the dialogue is killer.

The odds of me ever watching this show are almost zero. I watch CRIMINAL MINDS with my lady once in a while, and it's good. But there are thousands of movies and TV shows that I'd rather be watching. I still want to check out FARGO, SONS OF ANARCHY, BATES MOTEL... And I have a lot of kung fu TV series I want to see as well. Just not enough time to check out something that already disappointed me.

Wow! An epic finale with an end fight that will not disappoint!!!! I will be watching this show over and over in anticipation for the next Marvel series and Season 2 of DAREDEVIL.

Sounds good! I'm anxious to watch more.

I had friends over this past Saturday and we binged the ENTIRE series from start to finish and I loved every freaking second of it. To have one of your favorite comic book characters done right with this amount to care and attention to character and detail is a dream come true.

The acting is amazing.....Charlie Cox is Matt Murdock/Daredevil....the opening monologue and his acting gave me goosebumps. Nelson is perfect for Foggy.......Deborah Ann Wolf is a great actress but they could have found someone more easy on the eyes. :tongue: Everything Karen Page should be and more. D'Onofrio was truly amazing and gave us a great cimenatic villain in the Marvel universe. I could go on and on.

The 13 episodes without commercial breaks gave scenes time to play out. I lost track of how many times my friends and I said this scene would have been cut on regular TV for time and to get to the action but it was so great to see not only the main character but supporting cast and even supporting villains given a chance for character growth.

Now the action was ok.....:angel: THe action was amazing. The type of fighting style was grounded yet not boring. It was filmed well and I read recently that the action direction confirmed the hallway scene is 1 long take. He said we chould have cheated it but they wanted to challenge the crew, and it is amazing I've watched that scene like 10 times now. The rest of the action is handled well and it's grusome in some cases.

Well after all that of course I loved the show and can't wait for more Marvel Netflix shows.

I know his age may be a slight factor but I want to see Scott Adkins as Iron Fist!!!!!!

Drunken Monk

Just watched episode 9 and THAT fight scene was fantastic! Great weapon work, great empty hand stuff. Just...wow.

The action in "Daredevil" makes the action in "Arrow" look like kids' stuff.

Well after all that of course I loved the show and can't wait for more Marvel Netflix shows.

I know his age may be a slight factor but I want to see Scott Adkins as Iron Fist!!!!!!

If they can't get Adkins, I would pick this guy for Iron Fist...Christian Howard.

streetfighter04_imm.jpg

Yeah streetfighter assassins fist was amazing.. They did a really good of incorporating the fighting style from the games into good looking smooth choreography... And as a video game/sf fan it was just cool all around.

Lastly, Howard did a good job both acting and fighting.

My take on Daredevil is not as positive as y'all. The fighting was fine, but personally I don't care for gore, in which the show seemed to revel. Fisk came across as a "fat guy trying to look tough" and (mentally) weak and indecisive. He really brought down the series for me.

The Punisher will be on Daredevil next season!!! Former WALKING DEAD co-star Jon Bernthal will play Frank Castle on the series.

Jason Statham was in negotiations to play Bullseye, but after word got out about it, negotiations dropped. But it looks like we got a villain for season 2.

Jessica Jones has dropped the AKA from the title name, so now it will just be Marvel's Jessica Jones.

ShaOW!linDude

I don't understand why Iron Fist should be an issue. I'm now a little concerned, but have faith in Netflix. They pull off some good series. If Marvel is thinking the character needs a noir-like feel to it similar to DD, they'll be making a mistake. I understand that the mystical elements might make them balk about some of the production costs, but it's still doable. Honestly I can't believe they haven't even cast the role yet. All things in good time, I reckon.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=122370