Great period kung fu movies post CTHD

Iron_Leopard

Fearless and Ip Man come to mind immediatly. But are there any others you would put up there with those two? I consider the 30s to be the end of the period kung fu movies.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

For pure kung-fu I'd go with 'Ong Bak 2'.

If we're going to include wuxia movies I'd also throw in 'Hero', 'House of Flying Daggers', & '14 Blades'.

ShaOW!linDude

Are talking you about films with a plot that has a true tie (character, event, setting) to the past or were just set in an earlier era?

Movies that are set in the past. Prefferably no later than the 1930s.

I watched "Shaolin" last night. And while I did enjoy it and thought it was a good movie it really didn't feel like a kung fu movie to me. It was very story driven (and that's fine) with a few fights sprinkled in here and there but the main focus wasn't the martial arts. Fearless and Ip man are about the martial arts but also have strong stories.

Ong Bak would probably be closer to what I'm looking for although I was mostly talking about Chinese kung fu.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to watch more.

ShaOW!linDude

Okay, I'd add Project: A, Project: A 2, and Miracles (though that one may be later than the 1930's).

One Armed Boxer
Okay, I'd add Project: A, Project: A 2, and Miracles (though that one may be later than the 1930's).

All great movies, but they all definitley fall into the pre-CTHD era rather than post-CTHD, which was the original posters criteria.

ShaOW!linDude

Oh, I understood him to mean any period film set not later than the 1930's. I didn't know he meant period films after CTHD.

One Armed Boxer

Hmmm, maybe Iron_Leopard can provide some clairifcation. I took it to mean he was asking for recommendations on any good period kung-fu movies which came out after the release of 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', which was 2000.

True Legend has some truly awesome fights, the narrative problems notwithstanding.

Reign of Assassins and Wuxia, both of which similar plot elements, are notable more for the acting and story than the action, which is still pretty good.

House of Flying Daggers has some of Ching Siu-Tung's best work.

I thought Seven Swords worked well as the anti-CTHD.

ShaOW!linDude
Hmmm, maybe Iron_Leopard can provide some clairifcation. I took it to mean he was asking for recommendations on any good period kung-fu movies which came out after the release of 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', which was 2000.

No, you're correct. It's clearly in the title of the thread. For some reason it just didn't register with me. D'uh.

Kung Fu Wing Chun is a film that most people seemed to have forgot about. Dont forget Ip Man The Legend Is Born. Reign Of Assassins is great and i also enjoyed Bodyguards and Assassins and Saving General Yang. Also the Korean swordplay film Shadowless Sword is one of my favourites.

I enjoyed Bodyguards and Assassins, although more as an epic historical drama than as an action/martial arts film.

A bit more on the cheap side but still recommendable are WU SENG, a SHAOLIN TEMPLE-remake with Fan Siu-Wong, and THE NEW VALIANT ONES, a remake of the King Hu-classic. Both movies can't compete with the blockbusters in terms of production values, but they deliver in the action department. Both movies are choreographed by Yuen Bo (ANGEL TERMINATORS 2) and these fights really do rock!

House of flying daggers, bodyguards and assassins, red cliffe, Wu Xia, Warlords, White Dragon, Kung Fu Hustle, Detective Dee: Mystery of the phantom flame........Not many others really.

Archived