Special ID Review - No spoliers/ Just the basics

sdog2006

Hi Guys

Just a short review of Special ID and I do mean short because I don't want to waste it for anyone. Here we go.

The storyline is decent but there was more than one part which seems to have been taken directly from The Departed

There are plenty of fight scenes

The action, like in SPL and Flashpoint, captures the essence of MMA. The difference is Yen has tried to make them look even more realistic. Not every blow lands cleanly and there is even more emphasis on grappling

Yen hasn't lost a step and he is still as fast and exciting to watch as ever

If you love Donnie Yen, you are loving this

Only downside, the female lead is completely unconvincing as a screen fighter but hey ho. You get over it.

Before anyone asks I saw a bootleg print but couldn't resist it because it was watchable.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

Thank you so much for this.. Did you hear that kungfu community not everyone hates this film, thank you once again for this positive review!!!

see i didnt think there was enough fighting in the movie. i can only remember about 5 fight scenes and one of them was just absolutely horrid. The last fight scene you hope to be this epic show down and it was such a let down. im a huge fan of awesome fights and i hated the movie

I thought Jing Tian was pretty good in her action moments actually, it's nice to see someone other than Yen do something memorable for a change. Otherwise, I agree with you.

OpiumKungFuCracker
see i didnt think there was enough fighting in the movie. i can only remember about 5 fight scenes and one of them was just absolutely horrid. The last fight scene you hope to be this epic show down and it was such a let down. im a huge fan of awesome fights and i hated the movie

So what else is new? You said this exact statement about 30 times already, we get it dude. In fact let me ask you something, what was the last Martial Arts movie you saw recently that you actually enjoyed?? It could be in theaters or dvd but it has to be modern. I'm really curious to know.

Call it like you see it mate lol.

It's just opinions at the end of the day. I've followed Donnie since the 80's and he's had ups and downs like most action stars.

While the movie wasn't quite Tiger Cage II, SPL or Flashpoint it was still entertaining and for a guy who has just turned 50, Donnie's physical prowess and dedication to his craft is beyond inspiring.

I thought Jing Tian was pretty good in her action moments actually, it's nice to see someone other than Yen do something memorable for a change. Otherwise, I agree with you.

She moved around okay (really nice eye candy) but looked like she would get blown away in a 30mph wind and threw punches like my wife, when she's at body combat.

Not sold and I can't remember one memorable thing Jing Tian did. Glad you liked her in it though, shows another dimension that the fans appreciated.

Really enjoyed the movie overall.

Archived