Featurette on HK movie dubbing in the late 80's

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, it was weird seeing the CYF dubber, im so use to that voice coming from Chow, and not some scrawny white dude. I think he voiced a lot of characters at that time.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this TWC, I will now always picture a blond guy when Chow Yun Fat talks in a dub :(. It was interesting, though. The lady in charge of the dubbers seemed like a decent person but what really put me off is when she mentioned more arty films being translated with care but action films could be entirely re-written or cut to shreds. She mentioned this is because they are no longer aiming for a Chinese viewer but what Cantonese speaker would watch the English dub of an arthouse film? Her point was confused and it shows how creative types in the industry treated action films. They do have a plot and sometimes it's quite good.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, the HK action films never got much respect outside the fan circles.

I wonder if those English dubbers are the guys Bey Logan refers to on the Bullet in the Head commentary known as "the guys" who did most of the dubs at that time.

• Like 1

Yeah, the HK action films never got much respect outside the fan circles.

I wonder if those English dubbers are the guys Bey Logan refers to on the Bullet in the Head commentary known as "the guys" who did most of the dubs at that time.

Maybe they are or some of them may have been doing other projects with other teams. The CYF voice guy did the voice for Waise Lee in Bullet in the Head. I think.

TibetanWhiteCrane

He has a very recognizable voice, for sure. I love the English dubs for the late 80's- early 90's movies, but after say the mid 90's, I really can't listen to dubs. I wonder if these guys quit by that time.

• Like 1