Jackie's "Chinese Zodiac" starts today(Friday) in limited U.S. theatres, but edited.

wackiechan

Jackie Chan's "Chinese Zodiac" starts today(Friday) in limited U.S. theatres, but in a cut, edited version.

For some strange reason, it seems hard to find the official U.S. site on the Internet. If you want to find out about the U.S. theatres that it'll be showing in, then I'd suggest you check www.fandango.com or http://www.moviefone.com

My cousin saw the movie last wednesday at the red carpet premiere in Century City, CA(in the L.A. area). He said the movie was English dubbed.

I wonder if a film festival or independent theatre in the U.S., especially in L.A., could somehow show the uncut HK version. It doesn't sound fair that "CZ", "The Grandmaster", "Shaolin soccer", etc., seem to have never been(that I know of) screened uncut and unedited in the U.S.

What are your thoughts on all this?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am usually all for watching the unedited cuts of asian movies, but in this case the movie could really benefit from editing. The dreadful antidemocratic and anti-western scenes should be cut and much of the filler stuff I could also live without, some of the ridiculous pirate scenes for example. The uncut movie is much too long given the lack of story or action.

I agree with the above. The movie runs about two hours and goes virtually nowhere for much of that running time. The opening set piece and the bit at the villains' headquarters are a lot of fun, but everything else ranges from "meh" to overly childish. The film would've been better served looking for new and Rube Goldbergian ways for him to eat his gum than taking the direction it did.

I liked it, saw it that opening Friday the 18th at a theater near me in Illinois. Though I doubt it made much money, I follow box office numbers all the time and can't find anything. Based on some searches, it might have been in a couple hundred theaters, but it's as if the studio didn't report how much money it made. Boxofficemojo.com doesn't even know this movie exists.

Anyone have any info on how it performed? Any links?

TibetanWhiteCrane
The U.S. is up to its old tricks again. Never ends. Always edited and re-dubbed. They never learn. Idiots!

Hollywood is Hollywood... but honestly, this movie was pretty ghastly to begin with. So cut or uncut, the only way to improve on it, would be to cut every frame of film, and replace it with every frame of Police Story....

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/universal-sees-future-in-jackie-chans-chinese-zodiac-1200835772/#

So finally a deal has been signed which will see the film being released in the UK as well as around the world. I know we've pretty much all seen it, but if it comes to the cinema in the UK I will still watch it, if only to see the final fight on the big screen.

Archived