SWORD MASTERS: Legend of the bat

bobo

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I haven't been on for a while I know. Been overcoming extreme obstacles as of the last year and a half. Lol! I hope everyones doing good. I've missed this place. I'll be coming on a little more regularly now. I love both of these flicks. I hope they are indeed actually being released. Good news.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't been on for a while I know. Been overcoming extreme obstacles as of the last year and a half. Lol! I hope everyones doing good. I've missed this place. I'll be coming on a little more regularly now. I love both of these flicks. I hope they are indeed actually being released. Good news.

What kind of "moderator" leaves for that long? With great power comes great responsibility. Come on now. ;)

just rechecked the amazon listings today and now they have LEGEND OF THE BAT listed as dubbed and DEATH DUEL as subtitled, this is actually as i expected to happen as DEATH DUEL has never made the lost dub list---but i was hoping .

just rechecked the amazon listings today and now they have LEGEND OF THE BAT listed as dubbed and DEATH DUEL as subtitled, this is actually as i expected to happen as DEATH DUEL has never made the lost dub list---but i was hoping .

Yea, there is no dub for Death Duel.

Well Go Usa actually posted something about future shaw brothers dvds on their facebook

https://www.facebook.com/WellGoUSA/posts/10152095031570180

I'm not sure to understand here..... didn't they already released Brothers Five in 2008 ?

Well anyway I'm happy that more titles are going to be released with english dub hopefully.

There is no dub for this, right?

I just recieved this e-mail from well go usa:

In Loving Memory -

A Year of Shaw Brothers Releases

Well Go Celebrates Its Roots with 4 New Titles

On January 7th, we lost a pioneer of Asian film whose influence has been felt for over 60 years. At age 106, Run Run Shaw passed away, but his influence will be felt forever. In the 556 film and television features brought to us from the Shaw Brothers studio - think on that number for a moment - a legacy was built, influencing more writers and filmmakers than can possibly be measured.

Well Go USA's Sword Masters series, currently featuring over a dozen films from the Shaw Brothers, will be adding four new films in 2014, to include LEGEND OF THE BAT, DEATH DUEL, SHADOW BOXING, and TRAIL OF THE BROKEN BLADE on home media this year. Each film will be digitally remastered and optimized for the screen, as thank you to the studio that made martial arts films both a joy and an inspiration to viewers around the world. We are beyond proud to bring these films to the die-hard fans who ask us for these films each year. Be sure to get them when they're available for sale - when they're gone, they're gone.

Thats great news! But didn't they already release Shadow Boxing (which I assume is "Shadow Boxer")?

Or are those two, different movies?

ShadowBoxing_IVL_SC36.jpg

Wow. Cool. That would be nice to have on Region 1. That might be worth an upgrade. Of course, blu ray releases of these would be preferred.

Legend of the Bat and Death Duel are both on sale today on dvd per Well Go on Facebook and, well, the Amazon listings haha. Doesn't look like there's a dub on Death Duel.

Legend of the Bat and Death Duel are both on sale today on dvd per Well Go on Facebook and, well, the Amazon listings haha. Doesn't look like there's a dub on Death Duel.

I am curious in the quality of Death Duel. Did they properly make it anamorphic as the IVL was just widescreen.

The Silver Fox

I picked up Legend of the Bat today,I haven't watched it yet but according to the case,there is an Eng dub as well as Mandarin track.

masterofoneinchpunch
I picked up Legend of the Bat today,I haven't watched it yet but according to the case,there is an Eng dub as well as Mandarin track.

Where did you pick it up?

I haven't seen either of these films and I'm curious...how would you guys rank them? If you were to compare them to other shaw films, what would you compare them to?? Thanks.

I haven't seen either of these films and I'm curious...how would you guys rank them? If you were to compare them to other shaw films, what would you compare them to?? Thanks.

Haven't seen Bat, but Death Duel is top-notch. It's in line with Chu Yuan's other wuxias of the 70's, kind of a dreamlike, fantasy jiang hu world, like Sentimental Swordsman, or Killer Clans.

The IVL dvd was one of their early ones, and it was non-anamorphic. I'll upgrade if this one is anamorphic---I would hope this would be a given for a dvd release in 2014, but I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm that if they pick it up. I can't understand why companies don't clearly state the aspect ratio on new releases---don't they realize that's a huge factor for a lot of us as to whether or not we're going to buy it?

Thats good news. Thanks.

Now the question is did they upscale the anamorphic pic themselves? If you could post some screenshots to see the quality would be very helpful on deciding to upgrade.

The Silver Fox

No problem. Unfortunately I don't know how to post screenshots or whatever. I have the IVL version and I'm assuming it won't look that different from that version. The main reason I bought it was to get it on Reg 1 and to support companies that are willing to put out Shaw Bros films in North America.

Killer Meteor
No problem. Unfortunately I don't know how to post screenshots or whatever. I have the IVL version and I'm assuming it won't look that different from that version. The main reason I bought it was to get it on Reg 1 and to support companies that are willing to put out Shaw Bros films in North America.

Anamorphic should be evident on a 16:9 tv.

PAL-NTSC or genuine NTSC is another question - best to compare running times, I guess.

And of course, mono or 5.1?

wow - saw "Bat" tonight...dont quite know how to describe it!

Weird story of various people making their way to "bat island" , not quite sure whom is whom or why they are there which then turns into a group of them escaping the island...

Mad sets, dodgy model effects and meh fightscene at the end but all strangely watchable!

****slight spoiler***

Funny scene when they are all locked in a large steel cage and one of them says "lucky I have a very special sharp dagger!" and precedes to cut through the bars in one slash! :ooh:

Twice had that weird thing of just freezing on a scene. I thought it was a disc problem but was not - is actually in the film. Yuen Wah has small part in this.

Picture quality was ok but was a bit fuzzy for the first 30 mins or so and then seemed to clear up slightly. I would guess PAL to NTSC from this but dont really know my tecchy side of discs so could not say 100%.

Audio in Mandarin and Original English Dub (5.1 and 2.0 for both languages).

4/5 modern preview trailers and about 10 shaw trailers.

Mine came scratched to hell but managed to buff it all out :wink:

Archived