SWORD MASTERS: Legend of the bat

bobo

hi---just thought i would let any one who is interested that WELL GO USA will be releasing LEGEND OF THE BAT and DEATH DUEL under their SWORD MASTERS titles. release date so far is JAN 28th /2014 -- no other info at this time. i'm hoping they include the english dubs. DEATH DUEL has always been rumored to have a dub and we all know that there is a dub for LEGEND OF THE BAT. since the shaws are usually sold off in groups of 10 i hope they have some others. :tongue::wink::cry::angel::smile::nerd:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaolin swords

thanks for the info hope they have a dubbed version of death duel that would really be awesome:nerd::bigsmile: if they did cant wait hope they put out more shaw brothers dvds

keep us updated:nerd:

shaolin swords

looked to see if it was dubbed or on Chinese with english subs but did not see any info for that guess am just going to have to wait to see if it has English dubbed :squigglemouth:

weird DVD only.... hmm

cheap though...

I never watch dubs unless i have to so dont care there.

I havent seen these. Good I assume?

TibetanWhiteCrane

LOTB is your standard Chor Yuen sworplay romp, but Death Duel is fantastic. Somber, dark and not as convoluted and perplexing as most other CY wuxia clan fiction films. I nearly lose my lunch everytime I watch Derek Yee's impromptu arm surgery... gross!

LOTB is your standard Chor Yuen sworplay romp, but Death Duel is fantastic. Somber, dark and not as convoluted and perplexing as most other CY wuxia clan fiction films. I nearly lose my lunch everytime I watch Derek Yee's impromptu arm surgery... gross!

Ling Yun is awesome in Death Duel. One of my favorites of all the great Shaw actors.

He plays it just right and was always perfect for that specific mood.

He does the same fine job in a smaller role in' The Proud Youth'.

Both of the links say Cantonese/ Language - English/ subtitles.

I'd really like the dubs though, so I'm hoping like the rest.

Something tells me there is no dub for Death Duel.

Well, it is always nice to see more Region 1 Shaws but too bad there is no blu ray announcement yet; if there will be. Someone really needs to release Region 1 Shaws on blu that can do a good job of it.

I wonder if these will be non-anamorphic like their last batch. What are they thinking?! Also, I've never even heard of these films. Has anyone else?

I've seen these two movies, I liked Legend of the Bat even if i'm not the biggest Chor Yuen fan. Death Duel was good too, crazy swordplay at the end.

These are newer style wu xia films, if you're into that sort of thing...

according to what celestial says , there is no dub for DEATH DUEL but as we already know there is a dub for LEGEND OF THE BAT. i have not seen DEATH DUEL as of yet so i will buy it just to support the cause---and will hopefully be able to upgrade LEGEND OF THE BAT if it has the dub.:tinysmile_angry2_t::ooh::nerd:

Skeleton Claw

I never understood why there wouldn't have been a dub made for Death Duel among other titles. Many of Chu Yuan films made before and after DD were released with the dubs. Some weren't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

For example, why does Sentimental Swordsman not have a dub but it's direct sequel does? Makes no sense. My feeling is that dubs were made for many of these if not all of them and that Celestial simply doesn't have the initiative/drive to scour their vaults for them.

Consider Spiritual Boxer. We know now that a dub exists for it but years back when these films first started rolling out, it saw more than one release in western markets minus the dub. This is also due in no small part to the general apathy/laziness coming from whatever company happens to be licensing it, but I'm convinced that there's more to be found. Someone just needs to actually go in and look for them.

hey--- i agree with you. i believe there are many dubbed shaws that they either couldn't find or didn't bother to look. i mean, why dub certain titles then skip others---it doesn't make any sense---even from a business stand point. they had no idea which ones would be popular and which ones wouldn't. take TO KILL A MASTERMIND , they always claim there's no dub but why dub every martial arts movie of 1979 then skip just this one. i admit that maybe some of the official dubs maybe were lost but i believe there are collectors who have saved them and they may never see the light of day again. for the most part i think they are out there some where, even DEATH DUEL. ya it's to bad that some fans couldn't go threw the vaults with a fine tooth comb and over look nothing. :tongue:

Not to turn this thread into a dubbing thread but which company did the original voice work and why? Did the Shaws themselves hire the dubbers or did they outsource another company who supplied the voice actors? Was this done when the movies were being licensed for television or the home video market(by World Northal)? Otherwise, these movies would have been shown all over the world, in theaters, in their original language with just subs from whatever country they were being shown in? So, my idea of the timeline is that in America only showings in chinatown theaters in their original language with english subs when they were first released. Later, World Norhal picks up US rights. But they were dubbed before being shown on US television. So, would it then not indicate that the only dubs out there would be for the shows released through them or ones for the other markets(Germans get German dub, Americans get British dub, etc)?

i believe that the english dubs were shown worldwide to any english speaking country and even in non english countries which would explain why some of the old vhs copies were english dub but with german or whatever sub titles. i've seen some old dubs that had arab sub titles and you name it. i think most people believe that pretty much every shaw martial arts movie was dubbed--the shaws were an any thing for a buck company. besides a lot of the shaw movies were dubbed well before they made it to tv. i saw movies like FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH, TRIPLE IRONS, HAMMER OF THE GODS, MAN OF IRON and SACRED KNIVES OF VENGEANCE all in the theaters and/or drive ins back in 70s. i don't think they started showing up on tv till maybe the mid to late 80s. from what i understand they were dubbed right at the shaw studios. i believe it's possible that some were lost due to incompetence but not nearly as many as the big wigs would have us believe, for whatever reason they seem to be always holding them back. why is it that a movie like THE FLYING DAGGER which has an english dub still has not been available to the largest english speaking continent on earth. it's like over 40 years old, what possible reason is there that it's never been released, along with RAW COURAGE--VENGEANCE IS A GOLDEN BLADE--HEADS FOR SALE--THE BLOODY ESCAPE and others. a lot of people on this forum over the years tried to convince me and other dub fans that these never existed with a dub, but i always felt they were wrong and i was right. as of yet they haven't shown up here but they are playing on tv in africa and india and according to celestial they are on their way to america. the shaw dubs are a mystery that may never be fully solved.

I start to believe these two titles are "fake", no words from Well Go and the covers on amazon are just the same IVL covers edited in photoshop.

It's way too early to see the covers for those releases. The ones that are up right now are just the temporary ones. I'd give it another few weeks or so (even longer) for the real covers to show up.

I believe they're real. When it comes to submitting titles under the studio (Well Go USA), they would have to be from Well Go themselves (it's Well Go who enters them in Amazon.com, not Amazon).

Archived