A List of HK/CN/TW Movies Filmed in Stereo

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

A list of the limited number of HK films that were neither mono nor Dolby Digital 5.1.

If you can think of any additions or corrections please post your info.

Black Cat II (1992) Universe (HK) LD

Black Mask (1996) Mei Ah (HK) DVD

Blush (1995)

The Bride with White Hair (1992) Eastern Eye (AU) DVD

Bury Me High (1990)

Christ of Nanjing (1995) Amuse (JP) LD

Crossline (1996)

High Risk (1995) Universe (HK) LD

Insanity (1993) N/A

King of Beggars (1992) Mei Ah (HK) LD

The Protector (1985; Director's Cut only) Warner (USA) DVD

Red Rose, White Rose (1994) Golden Flare/Warner (HK) LD

Shanghai Grand (1996) Mei Ah (HK) LD

Sunshine Cops (1999) Universe (HK) DVD

Temptation of a Monk (1993) Ocean Shores (HK) LD

A Terracotta Warrior (1990) WGF (DE) DVD

Tragic Fantasy - Tiger of Wanchai Universe (HK) LD

Zen of Sword (1992) N/A

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black Cat 2

A Terracotta Warrior

Sunshine Cops

High Risk

I think most of the Win's/Chinastar movies from 96/97 were only in Sourround or Stereo, like Shanghai Grand or Black Mask.

Guest Markgway

Thanks, Kami.

Re. Sunshine Cops...

They were still making stereo movies in 1999?

Re. Win's...

Black Mask and Shanghai Grand were both Dolby Digital according to their theatrical posters.

Re. Win's...

Black Mask and Shanghai Grand were both Dolby Digital according to their theatrical posters.

According to the credits in BLACK MASK the sound was mixed in Dolby Stereo Digital. And as far as I understand Dolby Digital is just the sound encoding and does not necessarily mean 5.1. I have many DVDs with monaural sound that is encoded with DD.

Guest Markgway

I see... so what if the credits just show the Dolby Digital logo and no mention of stereo? Is that 5.1 do you think?

I've added Black Mask and Shanghai Grand to the list.

INSANITY (the Simon Yam Movie) was filmed in Dolby Stereo (End Credits have the Logo), but is only in Mono even on LD :(

TEMPTATION OF A MONK is Dolby Stereo too. is that even a HK Movie? (Ocean Shores LD)

RED ROSE, WHITE ROSE too. (not sure about HK again here) (HK LD)

you can add "HK LD" to HIGH RISK. it has the Originial Dolby Audio.

TERRACOTTA WARRIOR: German DVD has Canto & Mandarin Dolby Stereo. French DVD only Canto. HK LD - not sure if even Stereo. it was horribly cropped with huge subs so i never kept it.

Guest Markgway

Added BLUSH.

Decided to expand to include Chinese and Taiwanese films, as there are many co-productions and HK films made in those territories. Therefore if it's Chinese language it's probably worth inclusion.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Hey, Mark... don't mean to derail the thread, but when an audio option on a dvd says original theatrical mix what does that mean? Often the other two options are DTS and 5.1... so what's the mix?

got another one, TRAGIC FANTASY - TIGER OF WANCHAI is in Dolby Stereo (original Mix, prominently shown in End Scroll).. Laserdisc has it. DVD is Mono downmix from what i know. no idea if that is true.

Guest Markgway

Thanks. Makes no sense why they wouldn't port over these stereo mixes to DVD. You either get 5.1 remixes or mono downmixes - just leave them alone, doesn't get any easier than that.

According to the end credits ZEN OF SWORD originally had Dolby Stereo-sound. Unfortunately, neither the sound of the vcd nor the one from the shitty US-dvd from Tai Seng (one of their worst releases, btw.) are in stereo.

Archived