Opinion: What are the best western martial arts movies of all-time?

Jeru the Damaja

Red Belt: Underrated as hell. It's a modern day code of the warrior-tale. Excellent on all levels! Mamet's style may not be for everyone, but it worked for me.

I'm not saying this is a bad movie by any means, it's quite decent in my honest opinion, but to be honest I found it disappointing. I guess I watched it partially as a martial arts fan and partially for Mamet. I think neither action nor drama/story were outstanding although I was expecting better from the drama/story/character angle and not an awful lot from the of fight sequences.

Can't think of the name of the movie now but it reminds me I should watch that mamet spy thriller with Val Kilmer, in my honest opinion a much better film .

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude
Can't think of the name of the movie now but it reminds me I should watch that mamet spy thriller with Val Kilmer, in my honest opinion a much better film .

SPARTAN. (There's no MA, guys, but it's a good action/thriller.)

ShaOW!linDude
I'm embarrassed to say I'm a massive fan of "No Retreat, No Surrender 3." It could just be a case of my nostalgia running wild but I genuinely love it.

Love this movie!!!! Why no dvd of this? The end fight is freakin' epic!!!!

NoKUNGFUforYU

If you include Boxing and Wrestling as martial arts (Bruce Lee would) you would have to include Rocky. If you want to include wrestling, there is a great, little seen movie called Vision Quest, with Linda Fiorentino. Anyway, I didn't see Red Sun on the list.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Also, for us old dudes, You Only Live Twice was are first big exposure to Karate, Judo and Kendo, all done by really good practitioners.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I will even go a step further and include fencing-Three Musketeers and Four Musketeers by Richard Lester. Really, really good fights, and his dad teaches him a fancy, secret move, so it counts as a martial arts flick. Also, the move almost gets him killed, which is pretty funny. Anyway, you could do a lot worse on a Saturday night.

One Armed Boxer
Love this movie!!!! Why no dvd of this? The end fight is freakin' epic!!!!

Hey ShaOW!linDude...as QueMuchita mentioned this movie is readily available on DVD. It even comes as part of 2 nicely packaged box sets, there's the definitive 'No Retreat, No Surrender Anthology' Australia 5-DVD set which I own, containing the first 3 NRNS movies as well as 'King of Kickboxers' & 'American Shaolin'...then there's also the UK set of the original trilogy. The Aussie version is definitely worth tracking down, I believe it contains the most complete versions of each movie as well.

1651305-no-retreat-no-surrender-anthology-5-disc-set-0.jpg

51nTBGC6%2BmL.jpg

thankyouforfu
9Mkl9rtttog

My goodness -- this movie looks amazing! I'll be watching Gymkata at some point this week!

It sounds like I need to check out Broken Path (2008), Contour (2006), and Drive (1997) as well...

OpiumKungFuCracker

Miami Connection

and the rest.....................

I am disappointed in you guys for not even one mention of this martial arts classic shot entirely in Orlando Florida when the damn movie is called, Miami Connection,ahhahahahh!

It sounds like I need to check out Broken Path (2008), Contour (2006), and Drive (1997) as well...

Yes, definitely check those out...and Ninja 2....and Undisputed 3! :smile:

Not much to add here. Even if these are not movies but TV series...

I'd like to mention Avatar - The Last Airbender & The Legend Of Korra simply for being the best Martial Arts / Eastern Philosophy Animation to date IMHO.

Not trying to be a dick here or anything, but what has this post got anything to do with 'the best western martial arts movies of all-time'?

No problem buddy... Maybe I was really way off topic :tongue:

Some of my favorite Western martial arts movies:

King of the Kickboxers

No Retreat, No Surrender 2

China O'Brien

Drive

Matrix Reloaded

Mortal Kombat

Bloodsport

Perfect Weapon

Enter the Dragon

Rapid Fire

Undisputed 2

masterofoneinchpunch
Miami Connection

and the rest.....................

I am disappointed in you guys for not even one mention of this martial arts classic shot entirely in Orlando Florida when the damn movie is called, Miami Connection,ahhahahahh!

I bought the movie just because you mentioned it. :) Seriously I saw it for sale at my local FYE so I had to pick it up (seems to be OOP.) Not sure when I'll get to it though. I had one mention of this at another forum. I literally had not heard of the film until I saw it at FYE, thought nothing of it until you mentioned it.

Archived