Rough Play (2013) - The Sequel to 'Rough Cut'

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Kim Ki-duk has penned a sequel to to the 2008 movie 'Rough Cut', which he also wrote, called 'Rough Play'. The movie is connected by theme rather than being a continuation of the story told in the original, with this time around Lee Joon starring as a popular actor who's arrogance gets him involved with a group of gangsters, much like what happened with Kang Ji-hwan's character in the original.

Shin Yeon-sik will be taking over directing duties from Jang Hoon, and the movie is set for release in October. Looking forward to checking this one out!

URc3bqEc3WU

xbnmqK8lBuY

250px-Rough_Play-p1.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this one yesterday, and it's definitely worthy of a viewing. It's worth mentioning that this is a completely different movie than 'Rough Cut', most notably for the guys who frequent this forum in that 'Rough Play' isn't an action movie in any way shape or form.

Instead its focus is on the more dark psychological elements of fame, as Lee Joon portrays a stage actor who gradually moves into small bit roles in movies, before climbing the ladder to become an A-list star and all the troubles that come with it. Interestingly the movie blurs the line between reality and what's on-screen, as the character Joon plays is also referenced as playing a part in Kim Ki-duk's 'Moebius', which Joon did infact star in. Footage from the premier of 'Moebius' is interwoven into 'Rough Play' in a disturibing and slightly surreal manner, but this is a compliement rather than a criticism.

By the end of the movie Joon completes the grim cycle that a lot of celebriries seem to fall foul to these days, as the question of is the fame worth it is asked, and arguably answered with a resounding 'no'. Well worth watching for fans of Kim Ki-duk, and those who like their insights into the film industry free of sugar coating and gloss.

I got through watching this one yesterday, and it's definitely worthy of a viewing. It's worth mentioning that this is a completely different movie than 'Rough Cut', most notably for the guys who frequent this forum in that 'Rough Play' isn't an action movie in any way shape or form.

Instead its focus is on the more dark psychological elements of fame, as Lee Joon portrays a stage actor who gradually moves into small bit roles in movies, before climbing the ladder to become an A-list star and all the troubles that come with it. Interestingly the movie blurs the line between reality and what's on-screen, as the character Joon plays is also referenced as playing a part in Kim Ki-duk's 'Moebius', which Joon did infact star in. Footage from the premier of 'Moebius' is interwoven into 'Rough Play' in a disturibing and slightly surreal manner, but this is a compliement rather than a criticism.

By the end of the movie Joon completes the grim cycle that a lot of celebriries seem to fall foul to these days, as the question of is the fame worth it is asked, and arguably answered with a resounding 'no'. Well worth watching for fans of Kim Ki-duk, and those who like their insights into the film industry free of sugar coating and gloss.

Thanks for the review. This is on my short list at the NYAFF. I will move it up to my must see list now.

I didn't like Rough Play. It kept jumping back and forth too much. I didn't feel drawn in like I did with Rough Cut. Even though Rough Cut's movie within a movie has been done before, I found the movie entertaining and Soo Ji Sup's characters likable and wanted him to follow the right path. Rough Play didn't draw me in. Yes, it tried to show some of the ugly underbelly of Korean show biz but it didn't scratch even the surface of all the crazy stuff that people have read about.

One Armed Boxer

The guys over at Twitch have posted an interview with 'Rough Play' director Shin Yeon-sik, which gives some pretty interesting insights into the making of the movie and it's connections with Kim Ki-duk and lead Lee Joon -

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/07/ny-asian-2014-director-shin-yeon-shick-collaborates-with-kim-ki-duk-and-k-pop-idol-lee-joon-on-rough.html

Archived