Bruce Lee name?

Omni Dragon

I heard it to be Lee Jun Fan but I'm starting to wonder a bit after seeing this:

F6VHao2YDQ8

So it seems to say that in the obituary of Bruce's father the name Lee Yuen Yun anyone know much about this name?

Could it be any thing to do with Peter or Robert? Does anyone know their Chinese names? For that matter anyone know all of Bruce's siblings names?

The other name mentioned was Sai Fong means Little Phoenix right? That was cos of the whole superstitions thing right? I'm guess it was used officially? Poor Bruce if it was.

To watch the video with translation you will need to put the subs on

34ed5rft6gyhujikol_zpscdc72733.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sai Fong, meaning Little Phoenix, was Bruce's nickname when he was a child to warn off the superstition because he had an older brother who died at childbirth. At least that is what was told.

Lee Yuen Yun/Li Yuanxin (李源鑫) was his family/clan name. I don't know the significance of this but perhaps it was used solely by his family to refer to him?

Like for example, some people have their birth names but usually are referred to within their family by their order of birth (I think this applies to Chinese and Vietnamese but not sure).

To apply this to an example from a film, remember Eight Diagram Pole Fighter? The seventh son (the one that killed the Empress' brother, giving them the excuse to accuse and attack the Yeung family), his personal name (in the film at least) was Yeung Si, but when his family referred to him they used 'Yeung Chat Long' (seventh son).

Maybe the thing with Bruce is similar. Might be a deep reason behind it, probably to do with superstition, or at least family records?

So in a sense, both 'Jun Fan' and 'Yuen Yun' were his real names but they served a different purpose inside/outside the family. Assuming his father's obituary was written by the family it may make sense for them to use 'Yuen Yun' rather than 'Jun Fan'.

Finally, I'm not certain but I think Robert's Chinese name is 'Lee Jun Fai' (same character for Jun as Bruce) but it is likely that he has more than one name too. Wiki to the rescue for the others.

Phoebe Lee (李秋源, Lee Yau Yuen)

Agnes Lee (李秋鳳, Lee Yau Fung)

Peter Lee (李忠琛, Lee Chung Sam)

Robert Lee (李振輝, Lee Jun Fai)

Contrary to cynical belief, THREE LEGGED LEE, was not a reference toward his sexual prowess; however, a nod toward the fact he was the first Kung Fu action star to utilize the 3 kick combination:side kick, crescent kick, and roundhouse kick-in lightning-quick, expert precision. Usually, audiences enjoyed the swingy armed, half-lifted, legs arts of the likes of Jimmy Wang Yu, Tsung Hua, and Chen Sing...

:nerd:

Archived