Skin Trade (Tony Jaa, Dolph Lundgren) (2014)

Jox

Secret Executioner
Gotta admit, I was extremely disappointed when I first saw it, but enjoyed it a lot the second time.

Most of us expected a lot more from Tony Jaa, one of the most exciting and promising martial arts stars ever to hit the screen. In terms of what "could've/should've been" TOM YUM GOONG 2 is dismal. The plot, editing, and most of the acting is terrible, some of the action is over-the-top silly, and of course there's the abundance of poor CGI effects. Jaa didn't amaze us with any mind-blowing new moves either (for the most part). But here's the thing- if you look at this movie without all of your "could've/should've been" baggage, viewing it as a big, stupid action movie, it's got a hell of a lot of cool action. :nerd: If some unknown had delivered this kind of martial arts performance we'd likely all being ranting about "This incredible new talent!" and saying "Yeah, the movie is dumb, but there's a ton of outrageous action!" For me, I was able to let go, and do what I started out doing- enjoying these genre films for what they are, and appreciating the abilities of the martial artists. Crump's stuff alone is worth the price of admission!

So to people that skipped the film because of bad reviews or a clip they saw that they didn't like, I say give it a try. If any of you have ever enjoyed a JCVD, Chuck Norris, Don "The Dragon" Wilson, or Dolph Lundgren B-movie (I've enjoyed the films of all of them, except Wilson's), then consider this to be the greatest action choreographed film among that ilk. :bigsmile:

Looking forward to SKIN TRADE too.

Great, now I wanna give TYG2 a chance and watch it... :tongue:

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude
Gotta admit, I was extremely disappointed when I first saw it, but enjoyed it a lot the second time.

Hmm, I guess I'd have to agree with that. I watched it initially teetering on the edge of disappointment and hope before finally landing in the former. Then I just studied the choreography and action for the mini-review. There's a lot of good stuff in there, and some quite stupid stuff, too. But it has some pretty crazy set pieces as a whole.

Most of us expected a lot more from Tony Jaa, one of the most exciting and promising martial arts stars ever to hit the screen. In terms of what "could've/should've been" TOM YUM GOONG 2 is dismal. The plot, editing, and most of the acting is terrible, some of the action is over-the-top silly, and of course there's the abundance of poor CGI effects. Jaa didn't amaze us with any mind-blowing new moves either (for the most part). But here's the thing- if you look at this movie without all of your "could've/should've been" baggage, viewing it as a big, stupid action movie, it's got a hell of a lot of cool action. :nerd: If some unknown had delivered this kind of martial arts performance we'd likely all being ranting about "This incredible new talent!" and saying "Yeah, the movie is dumb, but there's a ton of outrageous action!" For me, I was able to let go, and do what I started out doing- enjoying these genre films for what they are, and appreciating the abilities of the martial artists.

That's a good perspective to take.

Crump's stuff alone is worth the price of admission!

Yes, it is!...even when his & Jaa's fight gets a little campy near the end.

So to people that skipped the film because of bad reviews or a clip they saw that they didn't like, I say give it a try. If any of you have ever enjoyed a JCVD, Chuck Norris, Don "The Dragon" Wilson, or Dolph Lundgren B-movie (I've enjoyed the films of all of them, except Wilson's), then consider this to be the greatest action choreographed film among that ilk. :bigsmile:

More good perspective, KFB. (And there's only about 3 of 4 of Wilson's movies I can stand to watch more than once.:wink:)

Looking forward to SKIN TRADE too.

Ain't we all, brother!!!!!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Your very forgiving Bob!

I wouldnt watch it again if someone paid me...truly bad in so many ways i would rather spend my time watching something i have not seen. Have you seen Vengeance of an Assassin yet?

:tongue: I hear you brother! And I do understand. :wink:

Haven't seen it yet. I pre-ordered it, and the Blu-ray comes out this Tuesday, so I'm very excited to see it. Karlos gave it a big thumbs up, and that goes a long way for me. He said it's as dumb as most of Panna's films, but has all the outrageous action you expect from his stuff, and in that regard is highly enjoyable. :nerd:

I also want to see vengeance of assassin .The action looks good and the story comes 2nd for me.

As long as you know what to expect, these films are great. Same thing goes for Steven Seagal's films (of the past decades). They are not good, but I know that, so I enjoy them for what they are. Though much to my surprise, the last 5 or 6 were much better than the previous stuff.

Tony jaa is my 2nd favourite fight behind hwang jang Lee. I feel a lot on here are harsh on him.

That's true. I think that whenever people impress us, especially martial arts stars, athletes, musicians/singers, we are never content unless they are constantly upping their game. But sometimes people come out of the gate giving all they've got, and we need to appreciate that we won't get "better than that", just variations of what makes them special.

With Jaa I feel that ONG-BAK 2 is one of the greatest martial arts flicks I've ever seen, and that part 3 is really cool too. But many people said OB2 was good, but not great, and OB3 sucks. :neutral: Um... okay. Well, I'm sorry that others can't find as much pleasure in viewing these as me. But I love 'em. :bigsmile:

As I feel only can depend on tony jaa, scott adkins and Donnie yen for delivering good martial arts action. Outside these lot hard to find many good ones

CGI stuff I do not care for. So whether good or bad does not bother me. I prefer no CGI and no wires if honest.

I hear you. As far as fight action goes though, Jaa and Adkins are way more reliable recently. A few of Yen's films have been a little light on his fight action. Still enjoyed them though (even SPECIAL ID which most people shit on :angel:).

Great, now I wanna give TYG2 a chance and watch it... :tongue:

Do it bro! It's a dumb film with some incredible fights!

Hmm, I guess I'd have to agree with that. I watched it initially teetering on the edge of disappointment and hope before finally landing in the former. Then I just studied the choreography and action for the mini-review. There's a lot of good stuff in there, and some quite stupid stuff, too. But it has some pretty crazy set pieces as a whole.

That's a good perspective to take.

Yes, it is!...even when his & Jaa's fight gets a little campy near the end.

Agreed. It didn't need the "Jason Vorhees/Michael Myers/dude has to be killed over and over" thing to make it exciting. I think it works better if the opponents show a semblance of being a real human taking damage from the fights.

More good perspective, KFB. (And there's only about 3 of 4 of Wilson's movies I can stand to watch more than once.:wink:)

Thanks man. :wink:

Yeah, I feel bad saying this, and I've heard he's a nice guy, but Wilson falls flat for me. Zero charisma. Zero in the action department too. A good real life kick-boxer, but I've never seen any of those skills of his translating in an even vaguely appealing way to his films.

Ya know who is going to freak at my defending not only TYG2, but SPECIAL ID? One Armed Boxer! :smile: Sorry bro, nothing personal. LOL :angel:

Anyway looking forward to skin trade . Easily the best trailer out of the descent ones for me.

Oh yeah... sorry for derailing the thread! :crossedlips:

One Armed Boxer
Ya know who is going to freak at my defending not only TYG2, but SPECIAL ID? One Armed Boxer! :smile: Sorry bro, nothing personal. LOL :angel:

A recent report came out which suggested that watching 'Tom Yum Goong 2' and 'Special ID' back to back is actually the modern day equivalent of receiving a lobotomy. Having personally watched both of these movies, I'd have to disagree and say that receiving a lobotomy would probably be a lot less painful.

Oh yeah... sorry for derailing the thread! :crossedlips:

I got this! Back on track, the guys over at cityonfire have just posted a review for 'Skin Trade'....so far so good! -

http://www.cityonfire.com/skin-trade-2014-review/

I like the look of this proper old school 80s action.

As far as special Id goes I enjoyed it . It had similar feel to flash point. With these martial arts films I never expect brilliant story just great action stunts like Jackie chan used to do.

DragonClaws

Ill be picking a copy of this up when it reaches the U.K & the Gary Daniels actioner Skin Traffik too.

A recent report came out which suggested that watching 'Tom Yum Goong 2' and 'Special ID' back to back is actually the modern day equivalent of receiving a lobotomy. Having personally watched both of these movies, I'd have to disagree and say that receiving a lobotomy would probably be a lot less painful..........
I have to agree with both KFB & OAB on these 2 movies.

It is pain but it is an enjoyable pain...if there is such a thing.

When I first watched TYM2, I though that the movie was a big piece of crap. But one day my wife was watching it and I sat down and watch it with her. After the credits, I said to myself "damn, this movies isn't all that bad". It suck but it was enjoyable.

The problem with it is that it's a Tony Jaa movie & we expect more from him - if it was someone else we would have a different tone.....maybe.

Yes, they suck but they are enjoyable.

Now, I dare anyone to watch TYG2, Special ID & Man With The Iron Fist back to back to back. :yociexp104:

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread - I think I will watch Skin Trade on both VOD & in the theater.

The film was clearly made with care.

That extends beyond visuals to the story itself. Skin Trade does not just use the existence of sex slavery as some dark international plot device, as often happens (the Daredevil series offers just one recent example). It actually focuses on the problem and wants to raise awareness. This is an admirable trait for a B-action film, made more so by Lundgren’s behind the camera involvement with the film and sincerity overall.

Not all DTV-type action movies are good. Some are truly awful. Skin Trade is one of the good ones but not in an overly showy or obvious way. It’s just solid and fun from beginning to end.

http://badassdigest.com/2015/04/21/skin-trade-delivers-serious-action/

As expected, the movie is just plain bad. Bad in every department. Atrocious acting(well, nobody there is known for good acting, so no surprise there), ridiculous screenplay that seems to be written by a teenager who'd read too many comic books, amateurish directing, - the list goes on and on.

In general it's an unbelievably dull movie, that tries hard to be taken seriously because "it's about serious matter". Cartoony, stereotypical characters reading their stereotypical lines don't help either.

As I said, the movie is extremely dull. I can't say it's boring, the cardboard cutouts called actors are constantly walking, talking and even shooting, but it's utterly unoriginal and very generic. One hour into the movie, there's no single action scene, shootout, stunt, etc. worth repeated viewing. Not a single original piece of choreography. Everything on display was done to the death in numerous movies in the last 30-40 years.

The only highlight of this "breathtaking action drama" is the Jaa vs. MJW fight. Maybe a couple of minutes long it's more of a MJW's fight as he clearly dominates here. Still, it's not even close to the one of the best MJW's fights - the final one in "Blood and Bones" against Matt Mullins.

Jaa looks OK, though somewhat out of shape, his acting would've been better if he spoke Thai. His English is very forced and basically ruins his acting efforts.

At the end we have a "big" showdown, which is nothing to write home about except, maybe, a helicopter crash

And then we have a couple of cameos by Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa that make me think that Tagawa and Lundgren were in a much better B-movie Showdown in Little Tokyo

Honestly, there's nothing worth watching in the movie. Recent Shadow of the Tear, Vengeance of the Assassin , made probably on a much lower budget, really shine at least in the action department.

Skin Trade just exploits the popular lately theme of human trafficking ( Taken, Falcon Rising, Mardaani to name a few), but it does it so poorly, that it looks like nothing but a wasted effort.

OpiumKungFuCracker
As expected, the movie is just plain bad. Bad in every department. Atrocious acting(well, nobody there is known for good acting, so no surprise there), ridiculous screenplay that seems to be written by a teenager who'd read too many comic books, amateurish directing, - the list goes on and on.

In general it's an unbelievably dull movie, that tries hard to be taken seriously because "it's about serious matter". Cartoony, stereotypical characters reading their stereotypical lines don't help either.

As I said, the movie is extremely dull. I can't say it's boring, the cardboard cutouts called actors are constantly walking, talking and even shooting, but it's utterly unoriginal and very generic. One hour into the movie, there's no single action scene, shootout, stunt, etc. worth repeated viewing. Not a single original piece of choreography. Everything on display was done to the death in numerous movies in the last 30-40 years.

The only highlight of this "breathtaking action drama" is the Jaa vs. MJW fight. Maybe a couple of minutes long it's more of a MJW's fight as he clearly dominates here. Still, it's not even close to the one of the best MJW's fights - the final one in "Blood and Bones" against Matt Mullins.

Jaa looks OK, though somewhat out of shape, his acting would've been better if he spoke Thai. His English is very forced and basically ruins his acting efforts.

At the end we have a "big" showdown, which is nothing to write home about except, maybe, a helicopter crash

And then we have a couple of cameos by Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa that make me think that Tagawa and Lundgren were in a much better B-movie Showdown in Little Tokyo

Honestly, there's nothing worth watching in the movie. Recent Shadow of the Tear, Vengeance of the Assassin , made probably on a much lower budget, really shine at least in the action department.

Skin Trade just exploits the popular lately theme of human trafficking ( Taken, Falcon Rising, Mardaani to name a few), but it does it so poorly, that it looks like nothing but a wasted effort.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!! I'll be back with my review. Just you wait!

Really bad review. The trailer looks good to me . I will still watch this. This review worries me as all the films you point out are top action movies. well at least the type i like.

Secret Executioner

Now that's HARSH... Or bad news, I don't know. :squigglemouth:

I just watched it tonight...what did I think??? Well, considering it's 10pm now...I will have the review up tomorrow on the main site.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Just got done watching it too! I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because:

1. It's shot DTV

2. Dolph Lundgren/Tony Jaa/MJWhite/Ron Perlman/Peter Weller

3. directed by: Ekachai Uekrongtham so this movie already appeals to me since I was a fan of Beautiful Boxer.

MJWhite vs Tony Jaa alone is the price of admission. Sex trafficking is a serious epidemic but the movie doesn't really explore that because it's an action movie first and foremost. Also, keep in mind that Tony Jaa is not going to be at his peak in physical condition since Ong Bak came out like in 1999???? You expect him to be exactly like that????? Give the guy some slack for goodness sake. I thought the fight scenes and action were more than just serviceable. Tony Jaa can still drop knees and elbows, it's not that big of a problem. A movie where I get to see Tony Jaa fight both Dolph and MJWhite in the same movie???? You don't have to ask me twice!!!! I'll be buying this on bluray but that's because I'm a fan of the director. I normally don't buy movies but this one I will.

2 OpiumKungFuCracker:

Wasn't Shadow of the Tear shot DTV? Yet it's way better in terms of action and fight choreography

Yes, I like all those actors, but putting them all together in one movie doesn't make action better

Just because a director makes one good movie, doesn't mean all of his next movies will be great. Every director makes a dud in his career

As I said, Jaa vs/ MJW fight is a highlight of the movie. So, We agree about that. Still, it's not the best fight for either of the fighters

I understand that Jaa can't be in the same shape he was for Ong Bak, and I don't hold it against him. I'm still one of his biggest fans and his physical form didn't ruin the movie for me, but I thought it's worth mentioning

Again, I don't really care who fights who. All I want to see is a good fight. Many Thai movies feature a bunch of nobodies but the choreo and the way the fights are shot make them more enjoyable than that lousy brawl between Tony and Dolf .

I think I was more objective in my review, while you are more subjective. I don't look for excuses like low budget, shot DTV, big name actors, etc. If the action, pace and choreography are good, the rest doesnt matter

OpiumKungFuCracker
2 OpiumKungFuCracker:

Wasn't Shadow of the Tear shot DTV? Yet it's way better in terms of action and fight choreography

Yes, I like all those actors, but putting them all together in one movie doesn't make action better

Just because a director makes one good movie, doesn't mean all of his next movies will be great. Every director makes a dud in his career

As I said, Jaa vs/ MJW fight is a highlight of the movie. So, We agree about that. Still, it's not the best fight for either of the fighters

I understand that Jaa can't be in the same shape he was for Ong Bak, and I don't hold it against him. I'm still one of his biggest fans and his physical form didn't ruin the movie for me, but I thought it's worth mentioning

Again, I don't really care who fights who. All I want to see is a good fight. Many Thai movies feature a bunch of nobodies but the choreo and the way the fights are shot make them more enjoyable than that lousy brawl between Tony and Dolf .

I think I was more objective in my review, while you are more subjective. I don't look for excuses like low budget, shot DTV, big name actors, etc. If the action, pace and choreography are good, the rest doesnt matter

This is why I love the movie. Usually with Jaa movies or movies from Thailand, Jaa would fight nobodies and one big boss. Here the fight scenes are pretty major, from Dolph to Jai White and they were awesome!!! Also Dolph and Jaa gets to do a love scene with hot chicks!!!!!! It's not erotic and sexual or anything but it's cool to have it in the movie. The acting which might not be the greatest, worked for me. I am down for a sequel and I'd put this up there with Shadow of a Tear, hah! Like I said it's because I am a fan of the director and having Jaa and Dolph in the same movie, works for me.

D1, I'm kinda letdown that you find the action dull??? It moved at a very fast paced. The action doesn't really stop and the fact that Dolph gets to channel his inner punisher??? Come on D1 that was awesome,

With all that being said, both Shadow of a Tear and Skin Trade still not better than Undisputed 3. God, I love that movie so much. I'd go:

1. Undisputed 3

2. Tied: Shadow Of a tear and Skin Trade

both those movies can change over time, I might like Shadow of a tear more than Skin Trade and or vice versa.

Drunken Monk

Comparing this film to any one of the his DTV martial arts films of late simply isn't fair. "Skin Trade" is not a martial arts film. It's not going to have the types of fights we've seen in films like "Undisputed 3" or "Ninja 2".

With that said, it's a DAMN SOLID action film that does not let up from the get go. One thing this film isn't is boring. It's well directed, fantastically paced and, when it comes down to the fight scenes, there are some really subtle flares that make them enjoyable.

Tony Jaa isn't only a great fighter, but he's amazing at looking like he's getting his ass handed to him. He takes an absolute pummeling in this film and, if you watch carefully, he evolves.

He's put against these power houses and, after failing at going blow to blow with them, he switches to a more defensive style and looks for opportunities, whether that's an opening or use of his environment.

No, the fights aren't as complex as we might expect, but they're a perfect combination of slugger style and Jaa's signature tricks. Dolph Lundgren looks unbelievably strong in this film and that's saying something as he not only looks old, but, in the scenes in which he has to run, he looks practically ancient.

No, Jaa's English isn't great. But it's fine. I understood him and he had enough emotion behind it to call it acting.

I genuinely enjoyed this film from start to finish. It's simple but it knows it is. It doesn't try to be anything else.

I would have liked to see Celina Jade do a little more but that's really my only qualm. Hell, even an early Jaa-chases-a-motorbike scene you'll feel you've seen before actually ends up feeling fresh.

Is it worth a buy? Probably. If not, it's definitely worth a rental. It's a fun, fast paced action film with a nice sprinkling of martial arts.

OpiumKungFuCracker

^DrunkenMonk,

You hit it right on the money. Even Adkins would look great getting his ass handed to him towards the end fight in Shadow of a tear against Kosugi. This is why I love Jackie Chan. Jackie is never invincible in his fights, I don't think ever??? The problem with Donnie Yen sometimes is that he is too dominate when he fights but I haven't seen Kung Fu Jungle so that might change all that. I was also surprised at the shared screen time Dolph/Jaa/ and White gets??? I'd think it would be just Dolph but Jaa is in this movie from start to finish. White even gets considerate screen time. I can't say enough about White vs Jaa fight. I'd watch that on the big screen just for that!

Secret Executioner
Comparing this film to any one of the his DTV martial arts films of late simply isn't fair. "Skin Trade" is not a martial arts film. It's not going to have the types of fights we've seen in films like "Undisputed 3" or "Ninja 2".

With that said, it's a DAMN SOLID action film that does not let up from the get go. One thing this film isn't is boring. It's well directed, fantastically paced and, when it comes down to the fight scenes, there are some really subtle flares that make them enjoyable.

Tony Jaa isn't only a great fighter, but he's amazing at looking like he's getting his ass handed to him. He takes an absolute pummeling in this film and, if you watch carefully, he evolves.

He's put against these power houses and, after failing at going blow to blow with them, he switches to a more defensive style and looks for opportunities, whether that's an opening or use of his environment.

No, the fights aren't as complex as we might expect, but they're a perfect combination of slugger style and Jaa's signature tricks. Dolph Lundgren looks unbelievably strong in this film and that's saying something as he not only looks old, but, in the scenes in which he has to run, he looks practically ancient.

No, Jaa's English isn't great. But it's fine. I understood him and he had enough emotion behind it to call it acting.

I genuinely enjoyed this film from start to finish. It's simple but it knows it is. It doesn't try to be anything else.

I would have liked to see Celina Jade do a little more but that's really my only qualm. Hell, even an early Jaa-chases-a-motorbike scene you'll feel you've seen before actually ends up feeling fresh.

Is it worth a buy? Probably. If not, it's definitely worth a rental. It's a fun, fast paced action film with a nice sprinkling of martial arts.

Very well-written review here - very interesting and pleasant to read. :bigsmile:

Comparing this film to any one of the his DTV martial arts films of late simply isn't fair. "Skin Trade" is not a martial arts film.

Exactly. It was never conceived as such (remember it was originally supposed to be set in Russia and not Thailand, and Lundgren would have been playing the Russian while somebody from Kevin Bacon to Cuba Gooding Jr or Djimon Hounsou was to play the American). It's only when Jaa came aboard that the martial arts aspect of the fights got elevated.

By the way Jaa didn't ditch A MAN WILL RISE to do SKIN TRADE, they had made a deal when Jaa called up Dolph, and Lundgren accepted in exchange for Tony to be in SKIN TRADE.

Well, guys, I guess you're easier to please. If you liked that you saw, that's fine, the movie found it's audience. I'm not gonna argue, just want to reply to OpiumKungFuCracker -

It's funny you mentioned "Dolf's inner punisher". That's exactly what I had in mind when I said that screenplay was written by a teenager who'd read too many comic books. I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was watching some Punisher movie. Supposedly serious movie about real world problems took place in some alternative Punisher Universe.

Remember Dolf saying, "This picture is about human trafficking and is very special to me. I started working on the script 7 years ago...I felt that this is a story that has to be told". He kept saying how he wants to shine the light on this problem and make a movie about this serious matter.

I just can see him saying something, like, "This project was very important to me. I wanted to make a movie about one of the biggest problems of our time, - drug trafficking. I personally know some people who had problems with drug abuse and I want this story to be told, blah-blah-blah. So, let me introduce "Showdown in Little Tokyo!"

Just because the main bad guy is a human trafficker doesnt make it a serious movie.

Just because some guy fires a gun and the other guy falls doesnt make it a good shootout

One guy punching another doesn't make it a great fight.

Bunch of mediocre action scenes doesnt make it a solid action film...

I was watching Jaa chasing Dolf and couldn't stop thinking that after a brilliant chase scene in Ong Bak Jaa is doing this crap. I don't expect him to top Ong Bak (although it would be great) but at least stay on the same level. I know Jackie and Sammo managed to do that. Jaa's movies after Ong Bak just go downhill ( I don't count Furious 7)

Archived