Skin Trade (Tony Jaa, Dolph Lundgren) (2014)

Jox

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EXCLUSIVE: New SKIN TRADE Set Pics + A Talk With Producer Mike Selby

1526532_1446682538881143_993137330_n.jpg

Action hero Tony Jaa took to Facebook on Friday to share brand new photo from the set of his upcoming international action thriller, Skin Trade, featuring the martial arts star next to a Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4. Producer Mike Selby also shared a second, and exclusive photo of the actor with the aforementioned car with Film Combat Syndicate, which you can check out below. According to Selby, who confirmed that Jaa will be driving the car for a small portion of the film, Jaa enjoyed being with the car so much that he had to "pry" the away from it.

received_m_mid_1389922056144_a9af87048778310391_0.jpeg

Our discussion continued thereafter, where you will learn a little more about the film, and what fans can expect as the year moves forward.

During filming, at least two action scenes have been filmed recently on location Siam Kempinski Hotel in Bangkok, with Friday's sets now moved into several Bangkok studios, and back to exterior shots starting next week. In addition, morale continues to remain upbeat on the set of the film, according to Selby who tells Film Combat Syndicate, "...What is really nice is the enthusiasm of the cast and crew. Everyone is having a blast and working very well together.".

In continuing further coverage of filming for Skin Trade, Film Combat Syndicate also learned that considering the star power being included in the film, the main hope is that the film will go mainstream. "...This movie is different for many reasons." says Selby. "It is the first Thai production of a film for the international market, the budget is considerable, and the film has quite a few strong action scenes. But frankly, unlike many action films, the storyline is extremely strong and tight." Producer Selby also mentions that one of the major qualities that will sustain the film in its uniqueness lies in the cast who he describes, including Jaa and fellow starring actor, writer and producer Dolph Lundgren as "serious actors", as well as to the "dramatic chops" attributed in their choice for director in filmmaker Ekachai Uekrongtham (Beautiful Boxer - 2004, Pleasure Factory - 2007 and The Coffin - 2008). "The intention is to have a film that appeals to a broad audience." Selby adds. "The story itself has a powerful message that the cast and screen writers took very seriously. The audience won't be disappointed by the action scenes involving Jaa, Dolph and Michael Jai White. We think they will be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the acting performances and continuity of the story itself.".

As my discussion with the producer continued, he was very eager to give credit the Thai film crew while acknowledging some of its foreign members, namely mentioning editor Victor Du Buois (The Last Samurai - 2003, Spartacus - [TV] 2004 and Never Back Down - 2008), and the film's Director of Photography, Ben Nott, whose most recent credit can be seen in Jackie Chan's latest U.S. limited theatrical release, Chinese Zodiac. "Ben Nott is a serious A level DP with a great selection of credits and real talent." says producer Selby. "You can't make a good film if it isn't shot right.".

With further acknowledgement to the subject of foreigners on Thai film sets, Selby also addressed the financial and creative aspects of the Thai film industry when it comes to foreign performers, and how Skin Trade aims to augment the film's potential on both fronts, and more. "There is a tendency in films shot in Asia to have local foreigners cast in smaller parts." he says. "This saves money but impacts on the quality and realism of the film. You will see in due course that quite a few additional character actors have been brought in from North America for the smaller parts, and the result of this will show on screen." Selby then added, "It is often the attention to detail at all levels that makes the difference between a good film and a really good film. This extends to the FX people as well, and we have some really good ones that were brought in.".

Skin Trade stars Jaa, Lundgren and White along with Ron Pearlman, Celina Jade, Peter Weller and Cary Tagawa, with fight choreography by David Ismalone. Craig Baumgarten also produced the film with line producer Ying Julaluck Ismalone, with further writing credits to Gabriel Dorwick, Steve Elder and John Hyams.

Filming is expected to wrap in March, followed by post-production through as soon as June and July, with a targeted slate of theatrical releases beginning in the Spring of 2015.

Stay tuned for more info!

Posted by Lee Golden at 8:55 PM

http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.fr/2014/01/exclusive-new-skin-trade-set-pics-talk.html

One Armed Boxer

Great article. I actually remember a thread on here from several years ago, I think the topic might have been on 'Tom Yum Goong', were one forum member stated how amazing it would be if someone with Jaa's talents teamed up with an arthouse director who took story & character as seriously as the action. It took a while, but it's pretty exciting to see that's exactly what is happening with 'Skin Trade', & Jaa looks great in a suit.

The only depressing part of the article is this -

Filming is expected to wrap in March, followed by post-production through as soon as June and July, with a targeted slate of theatrical releases beginning in the Spring of 2015.

I was really hoping for a 2014 release! I guess that means we'll be getting Jaa's second directorial effort, 'A Man Will Rise', this year instead?

I don't know about A MAN WILL RISE and I'm worried it might take a long while before we see anything. It's from Jaa's old employers and they still haven't started foreign distribution sales on it (I knew more about it than they did at Cannes)...

BeJapjTCUAAOPnk.jpg

BeDjwdVCcAArSdg.jpg

Behind the scenes "Skin Trade". My friend Dolph Lundgren, definitely put in a very intense day. When you see his performance you will be amazed, totally off the charts. Go Dolph !!! TJ

1017120_1447043398845057_2010301732_n.jpg

You will find that we did not use any added CGI/Special effects other than for safety purposes. On several very dangerous stunts such as a flying motorcycle and a man falling from a building we did use a wire for safety. The movie should have a very exciting and fresh realistic look. TJ
75866_1448179542064776_1083651710_n.jpg

Tony Jaa Official

Conference in between takes with our Skin Trade Director the amazing and very talented Ekachai Uekrongtham. We start shooting quite early tomorrow. Have a good night everyone. TJ

1010392_1449562075259856_1959420188_n.jpg

1425596_1449566005259463_1854192863_n.jpg

Dolph Lundgren

With Tony Jaa on the set of SKIN TRADE. Throw like a pro!

1009979_696948420336543_537169866_n.jpg

OpiumKungFuCracker

The Raid 2

Mo Brothers Killers

Skin Trade

Are my most anticipated flick of the year. Oh wait, is Skin Trade set to release this year?

Secret Executioner

Sounds like it's gonna be a good one. The pictures posted by Jox are really nice to see and make me wanna watch this film. Keep 'em coming, Jox. :bigsmile:

One Armed Boxer
Oh wait, is Skin Trade set to release this year?

Producer Mike Selby stated in an interview that they're aiming for a Spring 2015 release -

(The full interview is in post #27)

• Administrator
Producer Mike Selby stated in an interview that they're aiming for a Spring 2015 release -

We still have over a year to wait? :ooh:

Hey Jox- I wanted to say THANK YOU for all of the cool photos that you've been posting in the thread. They're excellent, and it IS appreciated. :bigsmile:

Archived