Skin Trade (Tony Jaa, Dolph Lundgren) (2014)

Jox

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not trying to say that just cause one doesn't like the film makes them a hater or we are in the golden age of martial arts/action films but come on guys. It seems like every time of late I've stopped by here, there are a large number of negative comments about films that really aren't that bad. This film isn't a game changer, and Tony Jaa isn't in his prime. Everything can't be Ong Bak or Ong Bak 2 (in my opinion one of the best martial arts flicks)That aside this film is really solid with some brutal and pretty well done action scenes. Maybe I'm just more lenient on martial arts films but I just don't get what people like anymore.

P.S. I at least hope we can all agree that that MJW vs Tony Jaa fight was gold, lol.

I've seen most of Dolph Lundgren's movies that he has released in the last few years like Ambushed, The Package, Blood of Redemption, etc etc so I kind of knew what to expect going into this. I watched this the other night with a few friends and I thought it was okay, better than any of his recent movies that I mentioned. The action isn't anything special of course so if you go into it hoping to see "Ong Bak" action then you will obviously be disappointed but if you are familiar with these type of action/martial art films and know what your in for then you should enjoy it, I'd say it is one of the better ones.

Well, guys, I guess you're easier to please. If you liked that you saw, that's fine, the movie found it's audience. I'm not gonna argue, just want to reply to OpiumKungFuCracker -

It's funny you mentioned "Dolf's inner punisher". That's exactly what I had in mind when I said that screenplay was written by a teenager who'd read too many comic books. I couldn't shake off the feeling that I was watching some Punisher movie. Supposedly serious movie about real world problems took place in some alternative Punisher Universe.

Remember Dolf saying, "This picture is about human trafficking and is very special to me. I started working on the script 7 years ago...I felt that this is a story that has to be told". He kept saying how he wants to shine the light on this problem and make a movie about this serious matter.

I just can see him saying something, like, "This project was very important to me. I wanted to make a movie about one of the biggest problems of our time, - drug trafficking. I personally know some people who had problems with drug abuse and I want this story to be told, blah-blah-blah. So, let me introduce "Showdown in Little Tokyo!"

I was watching Jaa chasing Dolf and couldn't stop thinking that after a brilliant chase scene in Ong Bak Jaa is doing this crap.

He can't make a Ken Loach film unfortunately, and still has to sell it and finance it as "Dolph Lundgren flick"...

Making fun of the ST writing and then comparing it to a movie like ONG BAK (which doesn't seem much written at all) is rather funny.

Just because the main bad guy is a human trafficker doesnt make it a serious movie.

Just because some guy fires a gun and the other guy falls doesnt make it a good shootout

One guy punching another doesn't make it a great fight.

Bunch of mediocre action scenes doesnt make it a solid action film...

200% agreed on that!

I just don't get what people like anymore.

Me neither.

One Armed Boxer
Jaa topped Ong Bak with Ong Bak 2. :nerd:

Everything can't be Ong Bak or Ong Bak 2 (in my opinion one of the best martial arts flicks)

Agreed, for me I'm in the minority that believes 'Ong Bak 2' was superior to the original. 'Ong Bak' was a showcase for Jaa more than a movie, and didn't give him a single worthy opponent during the whole runtime. It's entertaining, but 'Ong Bak 2' was epic in its scope, and has a final 20 minutes that contains some of the most awesome martial arts action ever committed to film.

Making fun of the ST writing and then comparing it to a movie like ONG BAK (which doesn't seem much written at all) is rather funny.

Hey Jox, you must be looking in the wrong places if you don't think there's been much written about 'Ong Bak'. It's one of the very few foreign language action movies that crossed over into the mainstream, to this day I have friends and co-workers of all ages who couldn't name a single kung-fu movie if their life depended on it, but they all know 'Ong Bak', even if they haven't seen it.

When it came out in 2003 it not only put the names of Tony Jaa and Panna Rittikrai on actions fans radars, but it also put Thai action cinema on the map for the first time. Arguably there hasn't been a movie which made that much impact since then, movies like 'Ip Man' and 'The Raid' had considerable exposure, but they still didn't have the same impact that 'Ong Bak' did. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

One Armed Boxer
I think he was talking about the script OAB :smile:

Note to self: Don't comment on the forum while nursing a hangover.

:laluot_08:

Back to 'Skin Trade'!

ShaOW!linDude
Note to self: Don't comment on the forum while nursing a hangover.

:laluot_08:

Back to 'Skin Trade'!

Your remarks were spot on.:bigsmile:....Just based on a quote taken completely out of context.:tongue:

Wow, I'm swiftly approaching the point that I'm going to have to avoid this thread (and other threads regarding it on the 'Net) until seeing the film for myself.

Looks like this is turning out to be another 'Falcon Rising' in terms of splitting peoples opinion!

Now all that's left to find out is if Albert classes it as a rental or a purchase...

Well, I posted my review of the film. I came into this knowing two things: Tony Jaa was going to "water down" his action and that's okay because I actually liked the fight scenes here. I think the point of the film was that Dolph Lundgren wanted to convey a message about human trafficking, so I came into seeing the film with an open mind and I am with the positive consortium.

Many people panned the other "Skin" film, but I personally though it also conveyed a serious message about human trafficking. I have to watch films with an open mind because I respect actors who like to change their tune and try something different. If I keep expecting the same thing over and over again, let's face it. It will eventually get tiring. That's why I respect the likes of Scott Adkins and Jackie Chan, because here are two examples of stars who are known for their martial arts action films, yet they change it up to show a brand of versatility. LIke Tony Jaa, here he speaks English and instead of taking on Thai stunt guys, he's working with an international stunt crew as well as Dolph and Michael. He knew what to expect and while he does some trademark moves, he knows the difference between Thai action cinema and that in Hollywood. He knows he needs to lessen the tenacity and contact for safety reasons and damn it, I'm proud of how he does it in this film...okay, like OAB nursing the hangvoer, this is my rant when I haven't had my morning coffee lol

Amen everyone, appreciate the positive vibes. Problems and post Ong Bak movies aside, I'm still very proud of Tony Jaa and his branching out of late. His action performances in Furious 7 and in Skin Trade leads me to believe that although watered down, his non Thai films can still pack a punch (or an elbow.) His prescience was felt, especially in Furious 7 so I'm curious to see where his future will take him. Bring on the Scott Adkins and Donnie Yen fights!!!!!

Finally saw it on the big screen. I do see & understand the audience split.

Personally, I enjoyed it and I will purchase the Blu-ray when it come out on disc.

David Rees

I enjoyed it. For a low budget VOD title it does what its supposed to do, plenty of action and a good cast. Tony Jaa does well, English dialog a little stilted but that's to be expected and the action scenes are well choreographed and realistic.

By that i mean they take his opponents size and power into consideration, he gets beaten down a lot by both Dolph and Michael J White , one flying elbow is not enough to floor these powerful guys.

Go in with expectations of a low budget American action film and not expecting to see another Ong Bak and you will be entertained.

Shaolin Patriot

I saw it last night at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. Director Ekachai Uekrongtham, actors Tony Jaa, Dolph Lundgren, Ron Perlman and Celina Jade were there in person. Dolph introduced the cast and spoke about the film and his personal interest in making it.

I thought the film was entertaining, but Tony Jaa's fight scenes were not on the same level as his Ong Bak series (so you shouldn't expect that). Some interesting plot points that can lead to a potential sequel. Good performances from all actors.

Here are some photos from the Egyptian:

472412584-ron-perlman-celina-jade-tony-jaa-dolph-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QTRFZKs2%2bUP3oLsCypxzuNzWXiyzquldq7V7gTeVb%2f1DMj9TrSwn567EmXqxlhNqhg%3d%3d

472412572-actors-tony-jaa-and-dolph-lundgren-attend-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QU0EvmQ0yny14B0hnTB723nTitpqrqx%2bX8IpgVNtAMfetpPoStvEwxQ1fEdfbdZ5qA%3d%3d

472412812-actors-celina-jade-and-tony-jaa-attend-the-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QR1QkePzvsZxlGzcUFAZZnwnazkUoYr5c9jyJ3CaU%2bZlBD1r6Pygch8LetR%2bxh%2bY6A%3d%3d

472412620-actor-tony-jaa-attends-the-premiere-of-skin-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QSZ4EY7684rtjlSGvjGBMMSnPZshVAdPv7NLUd0bxeS4kwCBlXsoOya4XMlXDYSP8g%3d%3d

KenHashibe
I saw it last night at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. Director Ekachai Uekrongtham, actors Tony Jaa, Dolph Lundgren, Ron Perlman and Celina Jade were there in person. Dolph introduced the cast and spoke about the film and his personal interest in making it.

I thought the film was entertaining, but Tony Jaa's fight scenes were not on the same level as his Ong Bak series (so you shouldn't expect that). Some interesting plot points that can lead to a potential sequel. Good performances from all actors.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, SP. :smile: It must've been really cool to see those guys at the theater. Thanks for posting this.

U.S. Blu-ray & DVD out August 25th:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YIZWID0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=OCBRHL8A3K24&coliid=I1V9EJKVAS3IRR

Jacob Groth's original score available digitally from MovieScore Media:

http://moviescoremedia.com/skin-trade-jacob-groth/

cover326x326.jpeg

Japanese theatrical trailer:

Japanese official website:

http://battleheat.jp/

Japanese poster:

battleheat_large.jpg?1432539389

Just saw this. Brilliant film . it is a throwback to commando and Rambo part 2 with a modern twist. This is probably my favourite Acton movie this year. Along with vengeance of assassin & John wick. It is well directed. Non of that shakey can that as been in Dolph's movies of late. Why this was not on at cinema I do not know as blows all them out of water. Not much CGI also.Well done

One Armed Boxer

I saw this one last night, and would have to say that with the exception of the Jaa vs MJW fight, it's a pretty mediocre movie.  Much like 'SPL2: A Time for Consequences', a highlight is seeing Jaa the actor.  While many people wanted him to get back to the action of the original 'Ong Bak' and 'Tom Yum Goong', I was actually hoping to see him progress as an actor, after strong performances in both 'Ong Bak' sequels.  Both here and 'SPL2' have provided those opportunities.  While his action here suffers from some choppy editing and the camera being too close (with the exception of the MJW fight which is shot pretty well, however even there the ending of it isn't clear until Dolph arrives on the scene), the fights still register on an emotional level much more than anything in 'Ong Bak' or 'Tom Yum Goong', as it actually feels like he has something to lose.  

When Jaa isn't onscreen though the movie suffers, with Dolph coming across as particularly dull.  A shootout in a container terminal, and his motorbike chase sequence, both go on for a little too long to remain exciting.  It almost seems like it was decided to fire off a few more shots, and throw in a few more small alleyways for Dolph to drive down, just to fill out the runtime.  The script also doesn't help matters, which includes several cringe worthy lines.  Thankfully they're countered by some decent moments that Jaa (particularly with his bad ass one liners) and MJW's speech about the girls (which is almost identical to Kim Seong-oh's speech in the Korean movie 'A Man from Nowhere) get to deliver.

All in all though, it was a movie in which I found myself regularly checking how long there was to go until it finished, and whichever way you look at it, that's not a good sign.

Archived