Anyone ever see FRANKENSTEIN'S KUNG-FU MONSTER (1975)?

ThunderScore

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

Is it a German release of some Ultraman copycat ? Looks alot like one to me. The German releases of many Godzilla movies also had references to Frankenstein for some reason.

ThunderScore

Aka SUPER RIDER V3 - It's a Taiwanese "re-imagining" of the KAMEN RIDER V3 TV series with new actors replacing the original cast, an early type of POWER RANGERS "make-over". IIRC, there are also other SUPER RIDER films released in Taiwan back then...

The Kamen Rider footage is Japanese with new scenes shot for this release...

Yep, the original footage was from a 30 min. theatrical short called Kamen Rider V3 vs Destron. Taiwan got hold of the footage and original costumes on loan from Toei, filmed additional fight scenes and replaced the Japanese actors with local ones. A fun time, but a bit schizoid for fans of the original.

For the record, Taiwan did the same thing (new actors, extra footage) with 2 theatrical shorts culled from the original Kamen Rider series (Kamen Rider vs Shocker and Kamen Rider vs Ambassador Hell) and edited them as Super Riders With the Devil. The Germans redubbed it Krieg Der Infras (War of the Infras) and marketed it as a sequel to the Shaw Bos. Super Inframan!

RTEmagicC_k_010_500_01.jpg.jpg

This one has a theatrical trailer if anyone's curious:

ThunderScore

Thanks - There are a couple of these "hybrids" that I am also interested in - MAZINGER Z EL ROBOT DE LAS ESTRELLAS, which is the Spanish title for another (IIRC) Taiwanese overhaul of SUPER ROBOT MACH BARON as well as those Thai co-productions with Tsuburaya and Toei (tho IIRC I don't think Toei was actually involved)...

Thanks - There are a couple of these "hybrids" that I am also interested in - MAZINGER Z EL ROBOT DE LAS ESTRELLAS, which is the Spanish title for another (IIRC) Taiwanese overhaul of SUPER ROBOT MACH BARON as well as those Thai co-productions with Tsuburaya and Toei (tho IIRC I don't think Toei was actually involved)...

Yeah, that was a lot of fun. One case where I may have even preferred the hybrid to the original (or at least, as much). They renamed Mach Baron, Mazinger Z since the Anime was so popular at the time.

ThunderScore
They renamed Mach Baron, Mazinger Z since the Anime was so popular at the time....

I thought Mach Baron's head vaguely resembled Mazinger Z, and also, IIRC, the villain resembled Dr. Hell (or Dr. Demon for those TRANZOR Z fans)...

I thought Mach Baron's head vaguely resembled Mazinger Z, and also, IIRC, the villain resembled Dr. Hell (or Dr. Demon for those TRANZOR Z fans)...

Yeah it does, more so than Mach's predecessor, Red Baron anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if it was inspired by the Anime.

Archived