Underdog Kids (2014) - The Return of Phillip Rhee!

AlbertV

A new martial arts film geared for the family is currently in production. Think BEST OF THE BEST meets THE BAD NEWS BEARS.

The film is called THE UNDERDOGS and the film is being directed by...Phillip Rhee!

He recently posted an on-set photo and the film is having appearances by Simon Rhee, Richard Norton, Dan Inosanto, James Lew, Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez and Don 'The Dragon' Wilson.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the heads up (wrote a little article about it myself).

Man, Danny Inosanto and Don Wilson don’t age.

As for Rhee, good to see him again. I just hope it’s not too “family” oriented.

I hope he considers doing a another best of the Best again. Maybe teaming up with Eric Roberts!

Jeru the Damaja

Wilson has a new movie on his IMDB page with Bolo Yeung in the cast. No synopsis or release date yet, but I will be looking forward to more information when it becomes available.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2538778/

I'm also still waiting on more news about The B Team. Wilson needs to get Rhee and Norton on board if it happens. All these guys look like they can still kick some ass but those 3 especially do.

Update:

Okay, from what I know of the plot, the final competition will put the titular Underdogs (Phillip is in the film as their mentor) against the pompous karate team the Beverly Hills Scorpions.

Phillip's son Sean is making his film debut as a member of the Scorpions and also playing a Scorpion is martial artist Ryan Potter, who is one of the stars of Nickelodeon's martial arts kid series Supah Ninjas. Phillip posted photos on his official Facebook page.

Here's something interesting:

A newcomer named AJ Iannolo will be playing one of the Beverly Hills Scorpions. This was a video he took on the set of the film, doing a fight scene. Looks like James Lew served as the film's action choreographer.

9yADFGv0YF0

The movie now has a slight re-title: UNDERDOG KIDS. Some new posters have been put on up Phillip Rhee's Facebook page, as well as City on Fire.

mpm74, it is a family oriented film and Rhee considers this his most "personal" project. He has delved in children's programming since 1998 as well as work on visual effects for various projects. However, with James Lew serving as fight choreographer, we are sure to be in for a treat...

Release date: August 27, 2014!

underdogs_1.jpg

underdogs_2.jpg

underdogs_3.jpg

Official one minute trailer - coming to DVD, Digital Download, and VOD from Anchor Bay Entertainment on July 7!!!

PrNswmtw-_Q

Hummm, don't know what to think of it. I couldn't watch the latest trailer as it's restricted outside of the US, but the promo didn't convince me. I like Philip Rhee a lot I'm sure he comes from a good place but this looks too cheesy, hope I'm wrong.

Picked it up after work (Walmart for $9.88) and I will tell you, I didn't just watch this as the usual martial arts film fan, but also as a parent.

If you're expecting bloody violence, you definitely have the wrong film. As both a MA film fan AND as a parent, I really enjoyed it as did my kids. We gathered in the living room to watch it and they seemed to have liked it as much as I did. Which is why I gave it the rating I gave in my review.

Phillip had some good news about how Underdog Kids performed on the DVD & streaming market a few weeks ago on his Facebook page:

Guys, just wanted to say THANK YOU for all your support on "Underdog Kids" We just heard from our distributor, Anchor Bay / STARZ the "Underdog Kids" streaming down load projection exceeded by 41% and DVD sales exceeded by 14%. It was you who chose the final poster and help spread the word! You guys are awesome!!! Thank you again!!!!!

LOL....would have been fun but in today's age, he got a thrashing of a different kind. Won't spoil it, but I liked how he got "thrashed".

What, or should I say who shocked me was Aidan Considine, who did virtually the same move Jaden Smith did in Karate Kid minus this wires.

Archived