Tony Jaa's 2013 demo reel

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

To be honest, it's not very exciting. A lot of moves we've seen before but hey, it's nice seeing him doing his thing again...

EwxzH1RDZJc

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm honestly not sure why he even bothered to make this demo reel. Having seen it I wouldn't bother to share it with anyone else.

Good to see him active again. Then again, this was only made to keep his name in the public eye while in between movies.

Secret Executioner
I'm honestly not sure why he even bothered to make this demo reel. Having seen it I wouldn't bother to share it with anyone else.

Same here, but I'm not a big fan of Tony Jaa so...

Same here, but I'm not a big fan of Tony Jaa so...

I'm a fairly big fan of his and with the exception of Ong Bak 3 I've loved all the action in his movies. To me this demo would be like an actor phoning in his lines.

He jumped with a German Shepard, come on does that get any points????

He'd get points if he got an elephant to do all that :tongue:

Same for me although I've never been a big fan of him anyway.

One Armed Boxer

The two biggest plagues of modern action cinema -

1. Shakey cam

2. Overuse of slow-motion

This video is pretty much the definition of point 2. I actually felt a little embarrassed for him when he roared into the camera at the end. Really though, have to agree with all who have expressed why there was any need for Jaa to make a new demo reel, especially one that looks like this - recycled moves which we've seen 1000 times before, bad guys patiently waiting to get hit, sloppily edited, lack of power in any of the hits. I have a lot of hope for 'TYG2' and am still looking forward to it, but this video makes him look like a shadow of his former self.

I guess the main point of this demo is to show that Tony is still agile and capable of doing many of the moves he did 10 years ago. He still can do some things that few can. He didn't show anything new and mindblowing, but I think it wasn't the point. I think the point was to prove that his age didn't affect his ability to perform some amazing, though not new moves

He's an established star. Why did he think that he has to put this out? It looks so corny. If anything, this lowers his stock.

He's an established star. Why did he think that he has to put this out? It looks so corny. If anything, this lowers his stock.

Exactly. If TJ really needed a demo surely it would make more sense to pay someone to edit a bunch of clips from all of his movies professionally filmed. Would look at damn sight better too.

One Armed Boxer

The fact that the clip pays thanks to David Ismalone, who's a co-star in Jaa's next self-directed movie along with Dolph Lundgren - 'A Man Will Rise' - made me think this is actually a practice run for scenes to be in the movie.

But then, from the set photos it looks like that may have have already wrapped shooting, and Jaa's hairstyle also doesn't match, especially as this was only made last month. That may mean it's a practice run for the project Jaa agreed to star in with Lundgren, 'Skin Trade', which is a modern day actioner (also makes the scenes with the guns and boat make sense).

I sincerely hope it isn't though.

Still havent seen a Tona Jaa movie..

Tom Yum is great fun. Tony does here and there nice agility style not too far from jackie chan and it does have one shot restaurant scene which alone would make movie worth checking out. But good there is lot more, Tony vs capoeira, wu shu and...Nathan Jones :tongue:

I did not like ong bak 2 and part 1 have seen but can`t remember. 3 still unchecked.

Tom Yum is great fun. Tony does here and there nice agility style not too far from jackie chan and it does have one shot restaurant scene which alone would make movie worth checking out. But good there is lot more, Tony vs capoeira, wu shu and...Nathan Jones :tongue:

I did not like ong bak 2 and part 1 have seen but can`t remember. 3 still unchecked.

Cool, thanks. I have never heard of Tom Yum!

masterofoneinchpunch
Cool, thanks. I have never heard of Tom Yum!

aka Tom Yum Goong aka The Protector is the 2-disc R1 release from Dragon Dynasty which is very cheap right now (has a short version and the longer version; don't watch the shorter version).

aka Tom Yum Goong aka The Protector is the 2-disc R1 release from Dragon Dynasty which is very cheap right now (has a short version and the longer version; don't watch the shorter version).

That is definitely one to check out...One of best modern day fight movies.

:bigsmile:

masterofoneinchpunch
That is definitely one to check out...One of best modern day fight movies.

:bigsmile:

It's a film I like quite a bit as well. I did not get as much into Ong Bak 2 or 3, but I did like Ong Bak. Jaa has several tiny roles earlier in his career as well, but you have to sit through some films like Spirited Killer (reminds me I still need to see Hard Gun).

On the demo: it is not put together well, but it is nice to see him still able to do some of those techniques. The high jump and landing was impressive how high he got -- makes my back hurt thinking of the landing.

Archived