Zatoichi Criterion Set -- November 26, 2013

masterofoneinchpunch

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slowly making my way through these, 4 films down so far.. will be watching the 5th today. Anyone sitting on the fence I urge them to get this fantastic collection. For years I'd been dreaming that such a set would exist, and here it is!

OpiumKungFuCracker
Slowly making my way through these, 4 films down so far.. will be watching the 5th today. Anyone sitting on the fence I urge them to get this fantastic collection. For years I'd been dreaming that such a set would exist, and here it is!

I'm actually on my third one, New Tales of Zatoichi. The color kinda threw me off a little since I was enjoying the first two so much in Black/white.

The 3rd film is excellent. I loved Sensei's reaction to the wedding proposition, a totally deadpan 'Baka'.. had me in stitches.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Just finish New Tales of Zatoichi, wow, it just keeps getting better and better with each film. The story and the acting is so engaging, touching at times, and has the right amount of subtlety. These films are so soothing, very relaxing when I watch them.

Just got done watching Adventures of Zatoichi #9, I've seen most(but not all) of the movies over the years but it's really great to see them in succession like this.

It's wonderful to have all these films in the one package. I hadn't seen them all before this but as OpiumKungFuCracker says they have a relaxing presence about them. Like meeting an old friend after years and feeling like time hasn't missed a step.

I really enjoyed watching them all.

Wheat Thin Man

That's a good price. It's also worth keeping in mind that it will be half off during the Criterion sale that Barnes and Noble runs a few times a year.

Yep, it's like every 2-3 months there is a 50%+ off Criterion sale - Amazon, B&N, Criterion, etc,.

Amazon just had one last month where this series was $106.

Sometimes B & N also have a coupon promotiom in which you can use with the sale - I got mine during one of these sale.

waywardsage

Yeah, I got mine during the half off, then used a black friday promotion. I believe mine was under $80 last year!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

It's a "Must Have" set even for full price. I watched every film in chronological order and all the extras. Fantastic!

Wheat Thin Man

For anyone that has Hulu Plus, these films were added just recently so you can now try before you buy.

For anyone that has Hulu Plus, these films were added just recently so you can now try before you buy.
I saw in while browsing over the weekend, I didn't pay much attention at the time as I was looking for something specific plus I already own it - I wasn't sure if it was Hulu+, Amazon Prime or Netflix as I have all three.

That being said and as Kung Fu Bob previously stated - it is a "Must Have" for your collection.

masterofoneinchpunch

Actually they have been on Hulu for over two years.

When I got the set I was surprised how small it was. I was expecting a bigger box. But I'm glad I have it, though I have not gone through it yet. Now I have a bunch of extra HVE and Animego R1 releases though (did not have the whole collection; I like some of the extra inserts in the HVE releases.)

Seriously though I think most of Criterion's Japanese films are must haves. I'm not sure I would say the same about the Japanese Eclipse's but there are several that are must have releases for film buffs (Kenji Mizoguchi’s Fallen Women, Late Ozu, Travels with Hiroshi Shimizu).

I had a friend buy this so I got to watch it in it's entirety, but he moved back to Atlanta so after reading about the Lady Snowblood and LWaC criterions I thought I better get on this, wow $214.97 on amazon! So I just picked it up from ebay for $150.00, damn why did I drag my feet on this, regardless I felt this was a must own for the collection, next LSBlood!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hey Zatoichi fans, I know a lot of you were disappointed that the 26th Zatoichi film wasn't included in this set- it couldn't be because Tokyo Shock / Media Blasters own the US distribution rights. Well that company is finally releasing this excellent final film of the series onto Blu-ray on August 28th, 2018. Thanks to cityonfire.com for reporting this: http://cityonfire.com/tokyo-shock-is-back-with-a-blu-ray-for-zatoichi-89-zatoichi-darkness-is-his-ally-zatoichi-26/

So now, at long last, fans of The Blind Swordsman can own the whole film series on Blu-ray, completing their HD collection.

This last film, directed by star Shintaro Katsu, is terrific, playing almost like a "best of" with plot elements and characters that call back some of the film series' most memorable elements. It's also one of the most bloody, with plenty of grisly action. Katsu has an interesting directing style, and there are numerous stylishly artistic flourishes in the framing and cinematography that add an extra layer to the well-plotted and acted film. Katsu is like a grizzled old lion here, full of great energy bubbling just below the surface of his outwardly calm demeanor, silvered hair and time-lined visage, but still ready to bite with that fast-as-ever Iaidō death sentence. For those that haven't seen it, you're in for a treat.

Archived