Pray For Death (1985) Uncut Version?

luciofulci

101 Films have confirmed it's the 92 minute version that MGM have supplied them with which I guess is the R-Rated. I'm in the UK and the previous video release many years ago was heavily edited by the BBFC (running time was just 89 mins) and they cut out shurikens, nunchakus and most of the ninja weapons making it difficult to watch. I'm aware that the "uncut" version contains extended scenes such as the hospital rape and the massacre in the restaurant but a number of people have stated that these scenes don't particularly add to the movie so I guess I can live without them. What i'd like to know is does the MGM R-Rated version have all the fights and ninja stuff intact? As long as the martial arts sequences aren't affected i'd probably still get it, any thoughts guys?
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=839327

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that but I noticed it's comparing the UK VHS which was heavily cut to the uncut version, I don't think i've seen the US R-rated film but as that is the one to be released by 101 films i'm wondering if any martial arts action is missing from that, in particular the nunchakus and shurikens that were cut in the UK.

I wonder how long before Pray For Death and Rage of Honor are released on Blu Ray in Region 1? The European/German releases always seems to lead the way. This was the case with Ninja III: The Domination (released by Shout) and most recently by Kino Lorber with Enter the Ninja and Revenge of the Ninja, which were very good (except for the BS laden commentary track by Steven Lambert on the latter).

A few questions to those who got the uncut German release of Pray For Death. Is it region locked? Am wondering if it'll play on my Region 1 PS3. Also, is this the old interview with Sho Kosugi that's included, or something else?

As far as the upcoming UK Rage of Honor Blu Ray goes, does anyone know what the aspect ratio is on it? The MGM HD TV print and German release were both mostly 1.85:1, except for the opening credits which were about 2.14:1 (not a proper ratio, but indicative of the proper aspect ratio of 2.35:1 just like Pray For Death, which would make sense since it was from the same director and production company.

Ninja film fanatics, brace yourself! Arrow Video has just announced their release for the 1985 cult martial arts classic, Pray for Death, starring Sho Kosugi (Ninja III: The Domination). The movie is slicin' its way onto Blu-ray on February 16, 2016!

pray.png

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation from a transfer of original elements by MGM of the unrated version
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Brand new interview with star Sho Kosugi
- Archive interview and Ninjutsu demonstration with Kosugi from the film's New York premiere
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin
- Collector's booklet featuring an extract from Sho Kosugi's upcoming biography

OpiumKungFuCracker

Yep, I'm double dipping on this release.The artwork looks like a Japanese novel or something. Pretty cool man!

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

U.S. release. I am in. Waiting for Diabolikdvd to put up their pre-order as they're much cheaper than Amazon U.S. 

That cover is beautiful. 

It's been a long time coming! About damn time! It's nice to see most of Sho's movies are now available on blu ray! Can't wait!

OpiumKungFuCracker

Love seeing Sho Kosugi and his sons in movies. It's so charming and fun to see them together. I also notice that Filipino woman are predominate in these types of roles for 80s action movies. I'm glad Sho Kosugi hooked up with one, cause she is a babe!!! MPM74/DIP any info on the actress in this movie, was she Miss Universe at some point? She is one foxy lady, she's really good in this film. Oh and a boob shot!!!!

U.S. release. I am in. Waiting for Diabolikdvd to put up their pre-order as they're much cheaper than Amazon U.S. 

That cover is beautiful. 

Very likely Amazon will come down in price and price match other retailers as the release date gets closer.

Right now Best Buy have the cheapest pre-order price ($19.99) for the BD. I pre-order from them but also holding out to see what Amazon does.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pray-for-death-blu-ray-disc/30113351.p?id=2757041&skuId=30113351

Archived