Furious 7 (2015)

AlbertV

Thx Al for clearing that up. You got me interested and as I have F&F6 I think will put that into player tonight:bigsmile:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

I thought the Tony Jaa fight scenes were kinda average. Shot too close and/or too much editing. It's not like when U.S audience first got a glimpse of Jet Li in LW4, nothing quite like that.

This was a ridiculous movie with lots of action from beginning to the end. You wish they'd end it here while the going is good but you know the studios will want a 8 because of all the money 7 just brought it. It was probably partly due to the publicity around the dead of Paul Walker.

Tony Jaa is currently being sued by the movie company he signed with in Thailand. He didn't get their permission to be in FF7.

Tokyo Drift is lowest rated of the series for most of critics and fans. However, it does fit in with the story and comes all around. Part of the success and chronological order of the movies can be attributed to Justin Lin. He said he was watching the NBC Saturday line up of show growing up when they had a Hurricane Saturday. The shows airing on Saturday Golden Girls, Empty Nest and Nurses. He said it blew his mind that all 3 shows were having the same hurricane tying them together. Fast and Furious 4 - 6 take place between FF1 and FF3.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-Fast-Furious-Used-TV-Trope-Make-Most-Exciting-Movie-Universe-37658.html

It is funny how this movie evolved from drag racing in ridiculous modded cars to crazy action capers flicks.

It was ok. Not as good as i was expecting it to be. I love 5. Really like 6. This is below both. Long but didn't really feel it. Find myself being drawn to stunt work nowadays(F5 and 6, upcoming MI). Liked the stunt work, didn't like the cgi.

Fights. Interesting. There's more MA here than the gunk coming out of HK/China by Y Kwei, Sammo, Wo Ping, whoever. MichelleR/RondaR fight was nice with superman punches and some friggin judo stuff that's never done in movies, ever. Ronda had some absolutely lovely takedowns. My jaw dropped seeing those moves. She is a judo BB so, damn. Jaa got to do his stuff(flips, elbows, kees, parkour). What was interesting about his stuff was how fast it was. It wasn't the hit Thai style, so he was very busy throughout the fights/takes. Staham and DJ threw down hard in the beginning. A Rock Bottom on a table should have been it but Statham escaped after that. Suspend belief and move on. Men bangin out. Good stuff. Staham/Diesel. Good stuff. Wrenches used fma style, slams, ouch looking punches and some hand, elbow, kick limb attack stuff by Statham. He needs to make a real fight flick. He looked real. Men bangin out. No wires, no floating, no Greengrass, no hyper editing.

The movie felt kind of like a Bond movie. Globe trotting, big set pieces, chicks. The set pieces were very big chunks of the picture. Nothing was 2 minutes long.

Drunken Monk

Despite the horrific script (literally EVERYTHING was a one liner), "Furious 7" is one hell of a ride.

Loved Statham, loved Jaa, thought the fight scenes were great and the stunt work in the big set-pieces was equally as good.

It's a big, silly film that deserves the praise it's getting. I wish more directors new how to give audiences a blockbuster like this.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Despite the horrific script (literally EVERYTHING was a one liner), "Furious 7" is one hell of a ride.

Loved Statham, loved Jaa, thought the fight scenes were great and the stunt work in the big set-pieces was equally as good.

It's a big, silly film that deserves the praise it's getting. I wish more directors new how to give audiences a blockbuster like this.

I agree, had so much fun with this movie. The one liners from Vin Diesel literally had me on the floor in uncontrollable laughter. My favorite is the one where Vin goes to Tokyo to visit Lucas Black and at the end of their discussion, Black ask him,"what are you going to do the the guy who killed Han?" Vin goes, "Man, words haven't even been invented yet?" Or something of that nature?

OpiumKungFuCracker

Also if you guys didn't notice, this is one of the only action franchise that the general public doesn't complain about the rating system??? You guys do realize this is pg-13????? If this was the Expendables or something, people would go ape shit over it being pg-13, lol. That is the testament to how good this franchise really is.

Started getting caught up on the last 3 as I plan to see this sometime soon..

Fast 4 was decent and you could tell they were going for more action; with that said I'm not sure It was better than any of the first 3 movies. Anyway, it was enjoyable.

Fast 5 on the other hand was badass, and I feel marks the change of the series much better. From the opening action sequence it already had the best action of the series. Yeah it has a lot of silly shit, but it isn't matter.. It took me back to 90s action flicks with it's OTT nature, and I loved that. The Rock owns it with his strong presence and typical "bad ass" character. Things he does and says that should be cheesy aren't because..well, he's the damn rock! Bringing the cast together to balance things out was great, although if Tyrese was supposed to be the "funny" character, I hope he's funnier in the next movie... The banter between the "team" was good comedy though. Paul Walkers acting is laughably bad at time, but being a big dumb action flick it was just fine. Really looking or ward to 6 now, and especially 7.

It's funny, if it weren't for the inclusion of Tony Jaa, and the high praise for 7 on this forum, I wouldn't have watched either of these.. Glad I did, 5 was a blast, and this is the kind of action I want.. Not overhyped superhero shit. (Which I like some of too, I just don't have the goggles the rest of society seems to have when it comes to those movies)

DragonClaws

Ive yet to see Part 6 so need to catch that one befor going to see the new film. The first and fifth installments are my favorites. With the success of the latest movie I'm sure there planning film number 8 right now.

Drunken Monk
Ive yet to see Part 6 so need to catch that one befor going to see the new film. The first and fifth installments are my favorites. With the success of the latest movie I'm sure there planning film number 8 right now.

Without spoiling anything, the end of "Furious 7" very much feels like the end of the franchise. So, I was surprised to hear that and eighth film is already being planned and may relocate to New York.

James Wan might not direct though. Apparently he's at the top of the list to direct "Aquaman". I imagine that'll be a massive project that won't allow him to do "Furious 8".

DragonClaws
Without spoiling anything, the end of "Furious 7" very much feels like the end of the franchise. So, I was surprised to hear that and eighth film is already being planned and may relocate to New York.

James Wan might not direct though. Apparently he's at the top of the list to direct "Aquaman". I imagine that'll be a massive project that won't allow him to do "Furious 8".

If Hollywood thinks there's still money to be made from the franchise they'll keep churning them out.

The studio sees dollar signs. I am sure some of the stars were thinking this was the last go around too since the story has come back full circle.

If Hollywood thinks there's still money to be made from the franchise they'll keep churning them out.

Pretty much what Dragonclaw said. They will keep cracking them out, direct to video if they have to with a lower budget if there is a buck to be made.

However, the problem with 8 would be getting everyone back together. The Rock joined later in the series and is only showing up on a per movie/contract basis. Probably the same thing with Vin Diesel. The other members of the cast are probably at the end of their contract or will ask for raise anyway.

The reason Vin Diesel was missing from 2 Fast 2 Furious was all about money. He got a couple hundred thousand for FF1 and then he wanted close to 2 million or more for a sequel. Universal said no and he left to make Triple X. Paul Walker came back for about half a mill. Then he probably didn't see eye to eye with the studio. So they figure they can make a movie without him with an unknown and cheaper budget. Last minute change was Vin Diesel making a cameo at the end of Tokyo Drift to what was probably the end of the series. Diesel wanted to get Riddick back from Universal. After the overpriced bomb that was Chronicles of Riddick they were ok with giving him Riddick for a cameo. Tokyo Drift made money but underperformed. They realized they need Walker and Diesel. And Walker and Diesel they need Fast and the Furious. Stuff they've done besides the FF franchise hasn't made much money. They come back and the rest is history. FF4, 5, 6, 7...

DragonClaws
The studio sees dollar signs. I am sure some of the stars were thinking this was the last go around too since the story has come back full circle.

Pretty much what Dragonclaw said. They will keep cracking them out, direct to video if they have to with a lower budget if there is a buck to be made.

However, the problem with 8 would be getting everyone back together. The Rock joined later in the series and is only showing up on a per movie/contract basis. Probably the same thing with Vin Diesel. The other members of the cast are probably at the end of their contract or will ask for raise anyway.

The reason Vin Diesel was missing from 2 Fast 2 Furious was all about money. He got a couple hundred thousand for FF1 and then he wanted close to 2 million or more for a sequel. Universal said no and he left to make Triple X. Paul Walker came back for about half a mill. Then he probably didn't see eye to eye with the studio. So they figure they can make a movie without him with an unknown and cheaper budget. Last minute change was Vin Diesel making a cameo at the end of Tokyo Drift to what was probably the end of the series. Diesel wanted to get Riddick back from Universal. After the overpriced bomb that was Chronicles of Riddick they were ok with giving him Riddick for a cameo. Tokyo Drift made money but underperformed. They realized they need Walker and Diesel. And Walker and Diesel they need Fast and the Furious. Stuff they've done besides the FF franchise hasn't made much money. They come back and the rest is history. FF4, 5, 6, 7...

Interesting, always wondered why Vin Diesel didn't appear in Part 2 but made a cameo in Part 3.

Actually since Wan helped make Furious 7 a success, they want him to do 8 and therefore, he might not do Aquaman. WB wants him but they said it may conflict with F&F8 and Wan I believe wants to do F&F8

They never intended Furious 7 to be the last one. Kurt Russell's character Mr. Nobody was meant to be someone introduced in this movie and expanded on in a future movie. Lucas Black also signed on for multiple movies. Universal has said they want to make ten pictures total, but it sounds like they might just do 8 and 9.

The reason Vin Diesel was missing from 2 Fast 2 Furious was all about money. He got a couple hundred thousand for FF1 and then he wanted close to 2 million or more for a sequel.

Actually I heard different. I heard that he turned down a big paycheck for 2 Fast because he didn't like how they approached the sequel. It sounded like they got some random script and just slapped the F&F label on it. Diesel wanted a true, organic sequel. Universal just cared about hitting their release date.

As for Furious 7, I thought it was a great thrill ride. I like Justin Lin better as an action director, as Wan seemed to be a little more cut heavy with the fisticuffs, but the action was still very good. Some people are saying that these movies aren't so different than Michael Bay movies because of how over the top they are now. The difference to me is that I actually care about these characters, so the action is just better and more involving as a result. Yes, it's ridiculous, but I love it because I love this team.

Just got finished rewatching the first film for the first time in a long time. Should I watch part 2 and 3 or just skip to part 4 right away?

Ok, so this was kind of like a loose remake of The Man who Stole the Sun with Jason Statham playing Bunta Sugawara's role and everyone else in Kenji Sawada's role. Or maybe 'superheroes assemble' would be a better description. :tongue:

It's an utterly ridiculous film (Vin Diesel falls from a fucking mountain and doesn't have a scratch on him) but it works for that exact reason. During its best moments it's like a kick-ass Sonny Chiba film for kids (there's an insanely great moment when Dwayne Johnson decides to leave the hospital). Of course there also plenty of terrible music, super-corny Paul Walker tribute, and barely any good car chases, but Statham, Johnson and Russel save a lot.

The stunts are real and amazing, but unfortunately the filmmakers felt the need to add bits of CGI and multiple edits almost everywhere to make them look less real.

I would've been in heaven if I had seen this at the age of 12. It's pretty fun for an adult, too - most of the time.

Elemental Fist
Actually, Tokyo Drift is important because well, you will have to see the end of #6 to find out. Plus, Lucas Black, who starred in Tokyo Drift, makes a cameo in #7 and for good reason. Since you haven't seen either of them, I won't spoil it for you Tex. Think of Tokyo Drift as a cousin to the other films and for good reason!

The best scene in Tokyo Drift, was the scene when the main character was practicing his drifts and we have a cameo of the real Drift King:

1hsJOqHgLcU

Morgoth Bauglir

I watched Fast Five to get myself caught up in case I wanted to see part 6 and 7. Fast Five is terrible for the first 90 minutes, but it does get good after that. Are 6 and 7 better/more fun? Also, the fight between Vin Diesel and The Rock is good for a Hollywood movie, but it's not great or anything. Do the fights get better in 6 and 7?

No great fights in 6, but the fights in Furious 7 were pretty damn good, I thought. Especially the stuff between

SPOILERS KINDA SORTA I GUESS

Paul Walker and Tony Jaa. Side note: Did anyone else enjoy that the final 30 minutes looked sooooo James Wan as much as I did?

Actually I love 6, Joe Taslim gets a nice (if brief) fight with Tyrese and Sung Kang, plus a great Rodriguez vs Carano bout. Also I love the end fight(s) on the plane, that huge dude Dwayne Johnson fights! I agree that 7 probably takes the edge in hand to hand, if only for the Johnson/Statham brawl and anything with Jaa. Hell, even Diesel looks good in the end fight.

Agree with SamSeed. Fast 6 has good fights. Furious 7 has better match-ups, but the editing was a little heavier to my eyes.

I can see where you're coming froom with the editing, but I don't think it's that bad compared to other Hollywood 'action' films. One thing you can say for Wan, at least he holds the camera steady.

Archived