Kickin' It (Disney series 2011-2015)

AlbertV

Has anyone seen this Disney XD martial arts-themed series??? I've been watching it and I gotta say, it is quite fun and the fight scenes are pretty damn good for a kids' series.

It's the story of five (now four) best friends and their martial arts teacher at the famous Bobby Wasabi dojo in a strip mall in the fictional town of Seaport. Jack is a former skateboarder who is also a martial artist and is the best amongst the teen students. Milton is the nerd of the group. Jerry is the bonehead of the group. Kim is a top fighter like Jack and is now Jack's girlfriend. Eddie (who left the show after season 2) is the chubby fighter. Then there's Sensei Rudy, who can fight, but always gets himself in a pickle.

Former U.S. SEALS 2 actor and martial artist Mitch Gould and Reuben Langdon have served as the show's fight choreographers.

Two of the stars' main actors, Leo Howard and Olivia Holt, are martial artists...everyone knows Howard from G.I. JOE (as young Snake Eyes) and CONAN (as young Conan). Holt is a black belt in tae kwon do.

Their main nemesis, Black Dragon leader Frank is played by martial arts champion Wayne Dalglish. Booboo Stewart recently appeared on an episode as a former member of Wasabi's dojo who fights dirty.

Pretty good show IMO...Goofy, but fun!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if this is considered dragging back an old thread, but I really enjoyed this show, it's about time something like this was on. Plus as you say the fight scenes are actually pretty good (better cinematography than some films in terms of actually being able to see what's going on).

Ooh, it may be hard to judge this show mainly because I've only seen one episode, but I didn't really like it. Sure it's for kids and it has the mindset of teaching the lessons you might find in kung fu movies, but the show wasn't funny or even entertaining. It seemed like another annoying kids show that relies on a formulas rather than creative scenarios for episodes. I'm not going to comment on the fight scenes because while watching it, I made the totally unfair comparison of the fights in this show to the fights in other kung fu movies. I shouldn't have to tell you this but the fights in kung fu movies are much better. The kids do sometimes show a bit of talent in the fight scenes though.

You may be asking if I'm being too hard on this show...and I am. Kickin' It is fine for kids but that's about it. I'm not a fan, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone over the age of 11 (though Albert and Sam both seemed to like it so maybe you will too), and Gravity Falls remains the only current Disney show I will voluntarily watch.

Plus as you say the fight scenes are actually pretty good (better cinematography than some films in terms of actually being able to see what's going on).

Preach it!

I agree some of the antics can be utterly ridiculous, but once the fight scenes kick in, that's when I get excited. It is clear Leo Howard (who I've mentioned is a martial arts champion and former member of the now-defunct Sideswipe team) and the cast (who most likely trained for the series by the looks of it) do quite well as the series continued.

Season 4 had a major cast shake up as the only female member of the main cast, Olivia Holt, left the series because Disney offered her her own lead series, "I Didn't Do It". I don't know if Kickin' It has new episodes, but as of now, the series only has the characters of Jack, Jerry, Milton, and Sensei Rudy as the leads. And Leo Howard directed his first episode, at only 16 years old. I think he will be Guinness World Records as Youngest Director of a TV sitcom or something like that. I read about it.

That's pretty cool. It's nice to have a martial arts TV series that's accessible to the whole family. Perhaps the 'better than movie cinematography' was going a bit far, but it's still pretty good.

The series officially ended this past March after four seasons and it had a fitting end. I for one really liked the series.

Archived