Rise of the Legend (2014) - Wong Fei-Hung Reboot

DiP

Well, you can't ask for a more appropriate reviewer for a Wong Fei-Hung film than from a real-life Hung Gar master. Thanks for your thoughts on the film Sifu Frank.

I'm sad that this isn't a return to the classic non-wire days. Usually things go in cycles, but instead of going back to the real deal kung fu, they skipped right to more wire-fu choreography again. :squigglemouth: Not sure what kind of actor or performer he is, but just going by his physical appearance, I felt that the part of Wong was miscast ever since seeing the first photos.

Will I buy it when it comes out? .... :neutral: ... Yes. :sad: I know... I'm a sucker.

Thank you for the kind words.. I am happen to teach hung gar..i just dont like the word master. :) I dont feel like a master...I feel like a life long student..just wanna make sure the the fine art of hung kuen will stay as long as possible ..traditional arts are getting rare by the day...

So we have to make a difference.. if you watch the movie from the eyes of a hung gar practicioner or kung fu practicioner you will find a few decent moves..but mostly I thought to myself :tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t: no comment...

as for entertaining values I would say its a well produced movie..its not all that bad..its actually a bit more serious than the OUATIC movies... but Jet Li was way better than Eddy Pang... its something about Eddys face that doesnt suit WFH... I defintely will buy the bluray when it comes out..I like my kung fu movies and will support them always! :)

Thank you for the kind words.. I am happen to teach hung gar..i just dont like the word master. :) I dont feel like a master...I feel like a life long student..just wanna make sure the the fine art of hung kuen will stay as long as possible ..traditional arts are getting rare by the day...

So we have to make a difference.. if you watch the movie from the eyes of a hung gar practicioner or kung fu practicioner you will find a few decent moves..but mostly I thought to myself :tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t: no comment...

as for entertaining values I would say its a well produced movie..its not all that bad..its actually a bit more serious than the OUATIC movies... but Jet Li was way better than Eddy Pang... its something about Eddys face that doesnt suit WFH... I defintely will buy the bluray when it comes out..I like my kung fu movies and will support them always! :)

Those of us with Wing Chun were lucky with the Ip Man movie(s). Well, good movie, pretty good fight scenes using real techniques but somewhat fabricated life story. And, as much as I love the Jet Li WFH movies, I feel that Hung Gar has not really gotten to show its real self on film. Well, other than the movies that Pops made. But, I guess when you have someone like that showing some real stuff then that is a high standard to beat. I doubt any filmmaker will ever be able to. It sads me to think that he is no longer around and that we will never see another film from him. It`s too bad that he did not live long enough to complete the Hung Gar film that he was planning to make before he died. Though I have not seen this knew WFH movie, I was hoping it would at least be a modern day film showing real techniques; like the Ip Man films. I am sort of tired of wire-fu. It seems that cinema in general has lost its way. Maybe it is just me but I use to get so excited during the 80`s and 90`s when it seemed that almost every kung fu film I watched showed something that I had not seen before. However, though, over the last several years, it seems that these kinds of films have turned into "paint-by-the-numbers".

Secret Executioner
It's out but that particular release doesn't have any English subtitles.

Good thing I hadn't ordered it yet. Only saved it for later.

The Blu-ray does, I think it's probably just an oversight on the DVD specs -

http://www.yesasia.com/global/rise-of-the-legend-2014-blu-ray-2d-3d-hong-kong-version/1038114924-0-0-0-en/info.html

It's interesting that Yes Asia has it and DDDHouse doesn't. I've never ordered from YA before so I guess I'll have to wait. I think I'll pick up this and "The White Haired Witch of Lunar Lake" as a double buy.

It definitely does, check it again.

wah,they must have changed the description..last time I checked the only subtitle option were chinese..I am 100% posetive.. anyway,good it has eng. subs..I just wait for ddd to sell it.

One Armed Boxer
wah,they must have changed the description..last time I checked the only subtitle option were chinese..I am 100% posetive.. anyway,good it has eng. subs..I just wait for ddd to sell it.

The DVD version has no subtitles, the page at yesasia has now gone so far to have been updated to specifically read "This video product does not have English audio or subtitles."

I wonder if this has any connection to the fact that it was co-produced by Universal Studios, so they've blocked the Region 3 release from having English subtitles in an attempt to have the audience stateside be limited to only being able to buy the Region 1 release.

It still doesn't explain why the Blu-ray is going to have subtitles, but the same thing happened with the Korean movie 'The Yellow Sea'. That was partly financed by Fox International, who blocked the Korean DVD of the movie from having English subtitles for the same reason.

Secret Executioner

A lot of products on yesasia.com have that "This video product does not have English audio or subtitles." note, even R1 material like Mill Creek sets or DC Comics related releases (some Super Friends DVD for instance) - I'm thus not so sure about this.

Well, this is not what TH's picture was to the industry. OUaTiC changed the scene for years(movies, television characters, visuals, action). This is just a movie.

It's got really good cinematography. I liked that. It's not a kf movie. At all. Peng doesn't look like he knows a lick of MA. Do you need to? No. But you need to look convincing or be protected but the AD and editing. He drops into a stance in the picture and it looks so fake. His friend throws one of the weakest, --ssyiest side kicks ever put on film and it sends a guy flying into and destroying an outhouse and subsequently killing him. Yeah. The action had some nice POV stuff and some nice overhead shot stuff but nothing in the actual action except some nice stunt type stuff in the first big alley thing.

Yuen Kwei and not Sammo did the action. He managed to make Zhang Jin look like nothing, with, a weapon. After the first big alley thing, it becomes a bad wire mess. I could tell from the trailer that kf type chor. wasn't what it was. It's not a kf movie. Eh. Yuen Kwei. Eh. I will not mention the end fight with Peng doubling in size every other take due to the wire gear under his clothes. Tacky.

For a while I found the picture, story ok, then it just started to feel like another heavy-handed mainland picture. Whatever you saw before as WFH, this is not that guy or that story. I was forgetting that is who he is supposed to be.

Didn't hate it and cared less as it went on. I can't see a sequel, because there just doesn't seem to be anything to bring by this director/actor/AD.

Oh and cgi fire is wack. Cgi fire is wack.

I loved the visuals, I was impressed by the quality of the action, Sammo Hung had his best role since SPL, and I was pleasantly suprised by leading actor Eddie Pang. The story has a certain YOJIMBO-vibe but ultimately it lacks narrative focus and/or interesting characters. Dialogues are boring and consist mainly of tired chlichés. And for the two hours running time there just isn't enough action to keep me constantly excited. Nevertheless since I was almost blown away by the action design I'll make sure to buy this movie. Best Yuen Kwai-action in ages.

I loved the visuals, I was impressed by the quality of the action, Sammo Hung had his best role since SPL, and I was pleasantly suprised by leading actor Eddie Pang. The story has a certain YOJIMBO-vibe but ultimately it lacks narrative focus and/or interesting characters. Dialogues are boring and consist mainly of tired chlichés. And for the two hours running time there just isn't enough action to keep me constantly excited. Nevertheless since I was almost blown away by the action design I'll make sure to buy this movie. Best Yuen Kwai-action in ages.

Kami ...you are nuts! agree 100% with the other reveiw Baronk, Whole crapy mess

DDDHouse now has the DVD and 3D + 2D Blu Ray up for pre-order...

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=14642

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=14641

Of course, whether the site will actually work long enough for you to place an order is another story.

it says mandarin for language and nothing about cantonese...I actually would buy it if I knew it had a cantonese audio track as well.. if not they can shove the movie up their bum

Cantonese folk hero speaking mandarin..nothing against the mandarin language but at least they should have as an option a cantonese dubbed audio

it says mandarin for language and nothing about cantonese...I actually would buy it if I knew it had a cantonese audio track as well.. if not they can shove the movie up their bum

Cantonese folk hero speaking mandarin..nothing against the mandarin language but at least they should have as an option a cantonese dubbed audio

Yes Asia has the same DVD and they say it has a Cantonese track. I think you'll be ok.

If you're used to half-cocked disappointments like "Iceman 3D" and (for some) "The Protector 2," you ought to like this film. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The script is a bit lazy, but the plot has enough fueding gang bosses, betrayals and drama to have kept me solidly invested. It gets a little saggy here and there and could do with being twenty minutes shorter but it's certainly not bad.

As the action? Loved it! Yes, there are wires galore but there's enough solid choreography for it to be very entertaining. On top of that, some moments are super brutal.

Eddy Peng is solid. I saw nothing wrong with his acting, nor his fighting ability. In fact, I look forward to seeing him in more films.

Sammo is the standout though. He was made for this role. He looks (or his double looks) as good as ever too.

I'm not saying it's a classic, but if you enjoy films like "True Legend" and "Shaolin," you should really enjoy "Rise of the Legend." It features MUCH better direction and cinemtography and, all in all, I found it to be a great reboot of the Wong Fei Hung franchise.