Rise of the Legend (2014) - Wong Fei-Hung Reboot

DiP

New teaser poster...

0IImIVI.jpg

I don't want to jump the gun but I had the thought that the poster could be better than the movie. That poster kicks ass. The teaser poster was crap though.

They need to put Rise of the Legend into the Drunken Master, Martial Club, Magnificent Butcher, Iron Monkey and Once Upon a Time in China stratosphere while using real Hung Ga techniques. I do not need to see people flying around, nor the typical kung fu ending where Gweillo gets the beat-down in some tournament match. Honestly, just how many times can the Chinese beat the foreign devil?

Has anyone seen the director`s other films? I really do think that this film should look old school with that gritty feel to it. But, I just hope that its not modern day slick.

One Armed Boxer
I do not need to see people flying around, nor the typical kung fu ending where Gweillo gets the beat-down in some tournament match. Honestly, just how many times can the Chinese beat the foreign devil?

That line sent a shudder down my spine. Definitely seconded, although I do think the 'beat the Gweillo' ending can be done effectively, the only time when it's been pulled off with any sense of nuance in recent times is 'Fearless'. For me both 'True Legend' & 'Ip Man 2' lost anything that they had going for them, and both movies did actually have a lot of good points, by their completely ridiculous endings involving yelling / screaming / bulked up / racist western fighters.

That being said, it's a Wong Fei Hung movie being made in 2014, it if does opt for that kind of ending, I'll be disappointed but not surprised.

Has anyone seen the director`s other films? I really do think that this film should look old school with that gritty feel to it. But, I just hope that its not modern day slick.

I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. Director Roy Chow is a very hip and trendy director with a knack for the unconventionial, so I doubt this movie will be very traditional. Furthermore action director Corey Yuen's last work in a historical context was WU DANG which is a terrible mess, especially action-wise.

I don't mind Eddie Peng as WFH, the real problem is Corey Yuen handling the action choreography. The guy hasn't done anything good since Shaolin.

the real problem is Corey Yuen handling the action choreography. The guy hasn't done anything good since Shaolin.

Well, I liked the action in NAKED SOLDIER: But you are right, WU DANG, MAN WITH IRON FIST, BADGES OF FURY all stink in the fight department.

I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. Director Roy Chow is a very hip and trendy director with a knack for the unconventionial, so I doubt this movie will be very traditional. Furthermore action director Corey Yuen's last work in a historical context was WU DANG which is a terrible mess, especially action-wise.

That is what I was afraid of. :cry::tongue:

Looks like an inferior version of Fearless from having almost the same style of choreography (slomo, CGI props), the same vibe (produced by Bill Kong who produced Jet Li's film) downright to having the same actor (Chen Zhi-Hui, also seen in Ip Man as Master Liu) fighting the protagonist. But I'm still interested somewhat. Here's hoping for a better film than the trailer suggests.

Drunken Monk

I'm definitely interested. The trailer only really shows a smidgen of action so I'm hoping the slow motion shots are just used to make the film more flashy.

This was one of my most anticipated kung fu films and I'm still holding onto the fact it could be great.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
I'm definitely interested. The trailer only really shows a smidgen of action so I'm hoping the slow motion shots are just used to make the film more flashy.

This was one of my most anticipated kung fu films and I'm still holding onto the fact it could be great.

Wouldn't IT be nice;

if we got something decent here.

GD Y-Y

I must admit the trailer does wet my appetite somewhat. However, it does look to me like a complete rip off of once upon a time in china - but without the heart and substance.

Secret Executioner

Doesn't look that bad. Some parts of the trailer had a Grandmaster feel IMO - and if it does like the Wong Kar Wai movie on Ip Man, I guess I'll get to see it in the theater.

Any release date BTW ? Trailer mentions November 2014, but I guess it's for Hong Kong/China.

Secret Executioner
However, it does look to me like a complete rip off of once upon a time in china - but without the heart and substance.

Well, as it's said in the OP, it's kind of a reboot. And you forgot one element it doesn't have: Jet Li. :tongue:

Elemental Fist

Out of curiosity, how many works are there about the early years of Wong Fei Hung? The best known one are of course the Jackie Chan Drunken Master films, then there's a young Fei Hung as a secondary character in Iron Monkey. There was also a TV show where Wong Fei Hung and co were portrayed meeting as kids.

Secret Executioner
Out of curiosity, how many works are there about the early years of Wong Fei Hung? The best known one are of course the Jackie Chan Drunken Master films, then there's a young Fei Hung as a secondary character in Iron Monkey. There was also a TV show where Wong Fei Hung and co were portrayed meeting as kids.

The Once Upon A Time In China movies ? And also, you get a couple of them in this set (quote taken from the Kung Fu Boxsets thread):

511TAK4Q8ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This Is Kung Fu (1983) [Jet Li- The Kung Fu Years] - Actually a great kung fu documentary

[King of Lion Dance] - Lion Dance documentary?

[unconquered]

[Tiger of Canton]

[southern Fist Kung Fu] - Hung Gar documentary?

[Revenge of the Tiger] - this is a mainland Chinese TV show (not sure the real title) with the character of Wong Fei Hung - does not star Jet Li. Also released by Jalisco as a stand alone film.

Elemental Fist
The Once Upon A Time In China movies ?

Actually OUATIC takes place when he's already a respected master. I'm talking about before those years.