Rise of the Legend (2014) - Wong Fei-Hung Reboot

DiP

I'm imagining that they are probably doing it to dedicate the film to Lau Kar-Leung.

As FrankBolte says, if it's like the original WFH films with use of Hung Gar, count me in!

I'm imagining that they are probably doing it to dedicate the film to Lau Kar-Leung.

As FrankBolte says, if it's like the original WFH films with use of Hung Gar, count me in!

I agree, that would be great.

I never cared much for the Tsui Hark/Jet Li variations (come to think of it, I've never been a huge Jet Li fan period) so if that's the route they choose to take, I'll pass.

According to Mtime.com, Roy Chow (Nightfall) will be directing. Chow's candidates for the role of Wong Fei-Hung are Nick Cheung (The Beast Stalker, Unbeatable), Eddie Peng (Unbeatable), and Dennis To (Legend is Born: Ip Man).

Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=606501142728363&set=a.446426672069145.102792.446346958743783&type=1

http://news.mtime.com/2013/08/08/1516048.html

If I recall, To's actually a wing chun practitioner.

yes he is but hes also a hung gar practicioner! Actually Lau Family Hung Kuen... Dennis To's sigung was Lau Kar Leung

Man, they have to go for Dennis, the man knows his hung fist. He learnt LKL's, & in turn Wong Fei Hung's whole hung system for real! One thing I'll say about meeting the guy - on film & in footage he comes across a bit trendy, I mean in the general stylised sense, almost Canto-pop-py, but in person, really not so much, he has a sensitive almost slightly ethereal quality that I haven't seen him put across otherwise - Wong Fei Hung would be a perfect role for him to get this across on screen; & with some proper hung! Hope they don't fuck up on this decision.

• Administrator
Man, they have to go for Dennis, the man knows his hung fist. He learnt LKL's, & in turn Wong Fei Hung's whole hung system for real! One thing I'll say about meeting the guy - on film & in footage he comes across a bit trendy, I mean in the general stylised sense, almost Canto-pop-py, but in person, really not so much, he has a sensitive almost slightly ethereal quality that I haven't seen him put across otherwise - Wong Fei Hung would be a perfect role for him to get this across on screen; & with some proper hung! Hope they don't fuck up on this decision.

Now I feel even more excited for Dennis To's possible casting after reading your post! :nerd: Oh please great gods of kung fu cinema... hear our pleas...:bigsmile:

Most of the principal cast have been announced. The movie will co-star Jing Boran (Hot Summer Days), Max Zhang (The Grandmaster) and Sammo Hung as Wong's mentor. They are still searching for someone in the WFH role. Corey Yuen will be handling the action choreography.

Source: http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/roy-chow-to-direct-wong-fei-hung-reboot?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

TibetanWhiteCrane

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

For cocks sake, not Cory Yuen! Sammo is already there on set, have him fucking do it. My interest just dropped to about zero.

Drunken Monk

Someone needs to take Corey Yuen to one side and say, "Let's keep it simple, ok?" I can't believe he stills gets work after the shit he's put out since "Shaolin."

how did dennis to's movies do box office wise ?, are they going to go for someone else with more commercial appeal..(which will mean someon else with no martial arts skill).lets hope dennis to does get the lead he is decent.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Or someone like Nic Tse, Andy On, Philip Ng who actually train hard in MA outside of their movie work. But yeah, Dennis would be the obvious choice.

One Armed Boxer

Look out for the Weinstein produced crossover movie coming in 2015 - 'Legend of the Double Dragons' - when Wong Fei Hung and Ip Man will team up to take on the wrath of imperial invaders.

The Eddie Peng Yu-Yen, Wong Cho Nam and Max Zhang Jun starred film WONG FEI HUNG ji YING HUNG YAU MUNG (WONG FEI HUNG: HEROES WITH DREAMS) recently began production in Wuzhen, Shanghai. Zhang Jun two nights ago injured the corner of his right eye during a fight scene, half of his face was swollen. He was sent to the hospital for five stitches and was forced to be absent from yesterday's press conference. Director Roy Chow Hin Yeung admitted that he was very worried about Zhang Jun's condition and even apologized online. Zhang Jun yesterday said online, "Brothers focus on work, I will be back soon!" His wife Ada Choi Siu Fun admitted her heart ached and thanked the team for having the humanity to let her husband rest first before starting work.

Playing Wong Fei Hung, Peng Yu-Yen admitted that he was working very hard to prepare for the character. He said, "Earlier many elders like Kwan Tak Hing, Lau Kar Leung, Lau Ka Fai (Gordon Liu), Lee Nin Kit (Jet Li) have made this heroic character very classic, so I would have to put in a lot of work on the character. I am practicing hard with the Hung Kuen master in hopes of grasping this once in a lifetime chance and doing my best." Wong Cho Nam put on false teeth to play So. He said that he lisped when he talked and it was very tough; as for martial arts, Cho Nam had to learn to wield the staff, which was tough due to his size. How tall was the long staff? H said, "The staff was as tall as my girlfriend. Maybe later I have to properly train my body and diet to play this character more convincingly."

http://hktopten.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/20130904-max-zhang-gets-five-stitches.html