The ones that got away

the moose

Some good hong kong movies that for some reason or other never got released on VHS or DVD in the UK. I haven't included Shaw Bros movies coz there are gazillions of them that weren't liscened out for obvious reasons and I haven't included stephen Chow ones because it would include at least three quarters of his impressive filmography.

By Hook or by Crook

Good comedy from the guys that bought you Dirty Tiger crazy frog and the Odd Couple.

The Dead and the Deadly

Hilarious comedy with Sammo, Wu Ma and Lam Ching ying Maybe distributers were put off by the lack of fighting. There is one good sequence.

Carry on Pickpocket

I'm dumbfounded as to why this never saw the light of day. I love it. Great action, great comedy and a great comic turn from Richard Ng as an inept cop.

Bury me high

Big budget glossy action adventure with a great finale. I guess it had no 'star' power as chin ka lok and tsui siu ming are not as bankable as bigger stars. And moon Lee's role was relatively minor. Shame really - good film.

PomPom and HotHot

Eastern heroes were going to release this as 'Hardbolied killers' (how imaginative) but they never did. Average film, fantastic action set pieces.

Days of being Dumb

This is the younger brother movie of Curry and Pepper with the same production company and same director and same formula, except this is way better in my opinion. By the time this was made stephen chow was HK's megastar so Tony Leung Chu Wei teams up with Jacky Cheung this time, and instead of cops they play inept triads.

Madam City Hunter

Average - there have been much worse release in the UK

The Untold Story a.k.a. Bunman

Come on! With UK censorship as relaxed as ever I'm sure this would now pass as uncut.

Red to Kill

With movies like Visitor Q, Salo, Island of death and other real nasties easily available in the UK, there is no reason this above average cat3 thriller shouldn't be too.

The Big Heat

Great thriller - again i guess it didn't have bankable stars for the uk market. Though Johnny To is hot property these days.

My Heart is that eternal rose

Quite well known to HK movie fans but never saw the light of day here.

How to meet the Lucky stars

I thought this movie was quite fun

Future Cops

I know, I know................

Hero of Tomorrow

I first read about this in Bey Logans book. I saw it in Chinatown and swiped it up. Really good 'herioc bloodshed' movie.

Beauty Investigator

Well I like it

Love Battlefield

Excellent edge of your seat thriller by Soi Cheang

Run and Kill and Doctor Lamb

Well known Billy Tang nasties would probably both pass uncut.

Triads the inside story

Taylor wong directed this starring chow yun fat the same year the same director and star did rich and famous and tragic hero.

Don't play with fire

Early dark thriller by Tsui Hark. I love this movie and it's tone. I consider this to be Tsui Harks masterpiece - seek this out now!!!

Mr Vampire 3

Not as good as 1 but better than 2

A Chinese ghost story 3

Ditto

Aces go places 5

The only aces go places one i have. And its good. Directed by Lau Kar Leung.

A Turue mob story

from 1998 with Andy Lau - proves Wong Jing is capable of making a serious good quality triad movie.

Dog bite dog

Got a release in the US, but not here.

The HK triad

Good thriller withLau Ching Wan and Francis Ng.

Shanghai Grand

Big budget gangster drama with bankable stars Leslie Cheung (R.I.P.) and Andy Lau.

Lee Rock 1 & 2

Police corruption thriller with Andy Lau - I only own the first one.

Kid from Tibet

Don't understand why this Yuen Biao movie never got a UK release, it's good. Around the same time he was in peacock king and similar themes to Iceman Cometh and with Yuen Wah.

These are just what i consider good enough to have had a uk release but never did. There are plenty more good enough that I haven't seen of course. Feel free to add a list of your own or if you are from America perhaps you could list movies that never got a Video or DVD release there.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These didn't get a release for good reason. They're Crap, look out for...

Hocus Pocus

I thought i'd like it as it would be like dead and deadly, spooky encounters, mr vampire etc. But I just couldn't get into it.

They came to rob hong kong

They came to rob the audience of their hard earned cash with this crap - shame coz Clarence Ford has done some great stuff.

Transmigration romance

I bought this coz Cynthia Kahn was on the cover with a machine gun and big eplosion behind her.....Nevermind

Kidnap of Wong Chak Fai

What? You don't know this movie? There's a good reason for that. Lets move on...

Headlines

Sorry, this drama bored me to tears.

Another Chinese cop

Anthony Wong looks like cat3 thriller but its only a cat 2b, not much happens really.

Black panther warriors

Good grief

Zodiac killers

Rosa

Got this coz it has Yuen Biao - regretted it. Little action.

Erotic Ghost Story

Erotic? Eh? Part 2 is way better and thats not that good. Avoid this first one.

The fortune code

loads of stars, and load of crap.

The evil cat

Forbidden Arsenal

I love Maria

Legend of wisely

Though not as good as the other wisely movie Bury me High which it has little to do with.

Her Vengeance (UNCUT)

Anna in kung fu land

Protege de la rose noir

Don't ask, i don't even know how enjoyed it but I did.

Angel terminators1 & 2

Don't understand why these superior girls with guns kick ass movies never got released in the UK, but shit like princess madam and deadly china dolls did get a release

Organised crime and triad bureu

Legend of Zu

Archived