Office (formely 'Design for Living') (2015) - Johnnie To, Chow Yun-Fat

DiP

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what would have been cool? If Vengeance had starred Chow Yun-Fat in the Johnny Hallyday role and all of the Chinese characters had been French characters. Set in in Paris and you would have had a cool movie. We got a cool movie anyway, but Johnnie To/Chow Yun-Fat movie set in Paris would have been cooler.

There were talks of To and Chow reuniting for an action thriller five years ago but it never went through. I hope the opportunity resurfaces in the near future.

masterofoneinchpunch

I know To has wanted to do a musical like this for years (so has John Woo). When I saw the title I thought it might have been some remake of the 1933 Ernst Lubitsch pre-Hays Code classic (available on Criterion) with Frederic March, Gary Cooper and Miriam Hopkins.

That being a teaser it really is hard to say much about it. The cinematography looks nice. I am looking forward to it. I'm thinking there will be a Jacques Demy influence (like in Sparrow) but he is pretty knowledgeable about musicals so I could easily see a Stanley Donen or Vincente Minnelli influence.

Definitely has a touch of French new wave cinema to it, much like Sparrow has of classic 1950s/1960s American cinema.

The international title is Office btw, the other title is the literal English translation of the Chinese title.

Archived