From Vegas to Macau (2014) - Chow Yun Fat & Wong Jing Re-visit the God of Gamblers!

galvatron1976

galvatron1976

Chow Yun Fat returns as God of Gamblers in new film

AADBD17E6B8090AF63A2458DDC63D2.jpg

Chow Yun Fat is set to appear as the God of Gamblers once more, in Hong Kong director Wong Jing's new film “From Vegas to Macau”.

HONG KONG: Hong Kong actor Chow Yun Fat will reprise his role as the God of Gamblers, a man with impossible skill at the gambling table, in Hong Kong director Wong Jing’s new gambling-themed film, which is tentatively titled “From Vegas to Macau”, reported Hong Kong media.

The film also stars Hong Kong actor Nicholas Tse, who plays a man who originally wanted to learn gambling skills from the God of Gamblers, but later learns how to be a better person under his tutelage.

Wong, who directed the original “God of Gamblers” in 1989, said "From Vegas to Macau" isn't exactly a direct sequel to "God of Gamblers", but will instead have “a new story and new characters”, as well as “contain a large number of comedic elements” during the film’s commencement ceremony in Hong Kong on Sunday.

He added that audiences will get to see the comedic side of Chow in the film, and even hear him break into song.

Chow’s comedic talents were already on full display during the ceremony, when he responded to questions about why he took the role.

“Of course it’s because the production crew is strong, there are a lot of beautiful women, and I get the chance to act alongside my idol Nicholas Tse.

“If I don’t, I won’t be able to do right by his parents. When I was shooting in TVB, I worked with his parents and they took good care of me."

"Now I want to ‘repay the favour’, and see if there are chances to bully him,” said Chow, drawing laughter from the gathered media.

“From Vegas to Macau”, which also stars Chapman To, Kimmy Tong and Jing Tian, is currently scheduled for release during the Lunar New Year period next year.

It will be Chow’s first appearance in a Hong Kong film in some 30 years.

- CNA/ha

QOdFpqQToEI

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/entertainment/chow-yun-fat-returns-as/759472.html

I would more like if Stephen Chow could included in this movie,since i wonder do God of Gamblers accept him as student .

One Armed Boxer
It will be Chow’s first appearance in a Hong Kong film in some 30 years.

:ooh::ooh::ooh:

I'm looking forward to this, 'Return of the God of Gamblers' is one of my favorite HK movies - gambling scenes, bullet ballets, a little kung-fu, a fetus in a jar - it's all there.

I've never seen the Stephen Chow God of Gamblers movies though.

On a sidenote, being that this is a Hong Kong movie, shouldn't it be in the Hong Kong movie section?

:ooh::ooh::ooh:

I've never seen the Stephen Chow God of Gamblers movies though.

The Stephen Chow GOG movies are quite fun...my favorites would be All for the Winner and GOG2, where he teamed with Andy Lau.

I would also recommend Andy Lau's CONMAN films, CONMAN and CONMAN IN VEGAS.

On the DVD commentary for INVISIBLE TARGET, Nicholas was offered the role of Goku in DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION but turned it down due to scheduling conflicts. He was a little peeved after learning Chow Yun-Fat had signed to play Master Roshi, because he had always wanted to work with Chow :) Now he finally gets that chance!!!!

TibetanWhiteCrane

The original GOG is one of my favorite HK flicks of all time, I can never tire of it. Never really liked the sequels and spin offs. Not overly excited by this news, though I might pick it up, out of curiosity...

masterofoneinchpunch

I'm interested though somewhat hesitent since Wong Jing movies are such a mixed bag. I liked All for the Winner and God of Gamblers 1 & 2 (1990) & the first III (1991).

I could have done without God of Gamblers Return (賭神2) and its fetus in a jar :D. Also when Wong starts putting animal cruelty in his films I just hate them (includes The Saint of Gamblers).

I could have done without God of Gamblers Return (賭神2) and its fetus in a jar :D. Also when Wong starts putting animal cruelty in his films I just hate them (includes The Saint of Gamblers).

Aiight, my funny bone is easy to tickle and the fetus in a jar in GOD OF GAMBLERS RETURN did make me chuckle, it wasn’t quite as funny as the different sized willies in the jars in ROYAL TRAMP though, another Wong Jing joint...

And, shucks... if I’d be hatin’ on all the films that have animal cruelty in them I’d be hatin’ on a sizeable number of some of the greatest films that are crammed into my racks... :smile:

I can't wait. Since the last collaberation was a success (the last tycoon) I suppose it makes sense that they team up again. Wong Jing usually gets a panning by critics - but I love his movies.

sifu iron perm

one of my fav franchise and the Original is amongst my fav HK/general films.

The sequel was nice also and back then i was a sucker for end twists..

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

GOD OF GAMBLERS was one of the first few Hong Kong films I ever saw. I remember being stunned at it's wild mix of genres. I had never seen anything like that before. One minute it's intense action, then the next it's slapstick comedy! I was amazed that Chow Yun-Fat (who's name I did not know at the time) could be so cool and smooth, then later be crying for chocolate like a child! What a whacky character arc he played. :tongue: Modern day action editing was new to me, so I was blown away during the scene where Mr. Dragon takes out the guys in the... was it a bus... train... trolley? The action seemed incredible at the time. When I re-watched this a few years ago I laughed that this quick exchange had originally impressed me. It's nice, but nothing special as far as typical HK choreography goes. The film still holds up well though, and is very entertaining.

I know I saw most if not all of the sequels and related films. Though I can barely remember them now. After reading some of the comments here, I've decided I'm going to have to check out RETURN OF GOD OF GAMBLERS again soon.

So- a new one? I'm all for it. I enjoyed THE LAST TYCOON, despite some flaws, and look forward to more of the ever-charming Mr. Chow.

Hey, what was with the comment that he hasn't made a HK movie in 30 years? :ooh: That would mean his last HK film was in 1983! Did "CNA/ha" ever hear of THE KILLER (1989), HARDBOILED (1992), or PEACE HOTEL (1995)? Even the original GOD OF GAMBLERS was made in 1989... in Hong Kong... 24 years ago. :neutral:

okay so I just watched The God of Gamblers and I don't remember this movie at all. I'm now wondering if I actually watched the sequel and never saw the original??? Anyway a good entertaining drama/thriller with Chow Yun Fat playing against type and really showing his acting range.

Edit: Bob, the action sequence was on a train .

TibetanWhiteCrane

The MIA HK classics reg 2 two disc version has both the 120 min. english dub cut and the 125 min. canto cut....

The MIA HK classics reg 2 two disc version has both the 120 min. english dub cut and the 125 min. canto cut....

Just the original GoG or both?

Yo..

Is the "made in HK" version cut?

The mihk version was the original cinema print in cantonese (hense the 'Chinglish subtitles') And was not authentic widescreen, and was a poor tranfer by mihk standards as the boarders kept moving and portions of the subtitles were occaisionally missing. What puzzles me is that its running time was 120 mins. The same time as the MIA so called international version (in fullscreen) of the film which is dubbed. The MIA 2 disc version does indeed have a so called 'original cantonese version with remastered english subtitles' that lasts for 5 mins and 15 seconds longer (and in widescreen).

Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this confusion.

Just comparing the fullscreen and 16.9 anamorphic widescreen version of the MIA release.....

This is the fullscreen version of the MIA release

picture.php?albumid=284&pictureid=6701

And here is the so called 16.9 anamorphic version

picture.php?albumid=284&pictureid=6702

As you would expect the wide screen version has more picture on the left and right of the screen where as the fullscreen has the left and right of the picture cropped. But look! On the widescreen there is also a significant portion cropped from the top of the screen. Now I'm no expert on the technicalities of widescreen. But I'm pretty sure this annoys me to Hell. :2:

Just comparing the fullscreen and 16.9 anamorphic widescreen version of the MIA release.....

This is the fullscreen version of the MIA release

picture.php?albumid=284&pictureid=6701

And here is the so called 16.9 anamorphic version

picture.php?albumid=284&pictureid=6702

As you would expect the wide screen version has more picture on the left and right of the screen where as the fullscreen has the left and right of the picture cropped. But look! On the widescreen there is also a significant portion cropped from the top of the screen. Now I'm no expert on the technicalities of widescreen. But I'm pretty sure this annoys me to Hell. :2:

I'm not exactly sure why I couldn't see the images but surely if the director has chosen to go widescreen, the movie should be framed correctly and you see exactly what you're supposed to see, therefore the movie wouldn't be cropped… Well at least that's my position, rightly or wrongly.

I'm not exactly sure why I couldn't see the images but surely if the director has chosen to go widescreen, the movie should be framed correctly and you see exactly what you're supposed to see, therefore the movie wouldn't be cropped… Well at least that's my position, rightly or wrongly.

I don't believe it was originally widescreen not 16.9 anyway. The mihk version had the boarders very narrow at the top and bottom like it was almost fullscreen. Perhaps it was originally filmed that way

I don't believe it was originally widescreen not 16.9 anyway. The mihk version had the boarders very narrow at the top and bottom like it was almost fullscreen. Perhaps it was originally filmed that way

I have the Mei Ah which fills up my widescreen TV but I have the MIA of Return of the God of Gamblers which does look like you described. Using the 16:9 zoom you lose part of the picture. I then tried the 14:9 zoom and that is the screen size. Maybe God of Gamblers is 14:9 on the UK disc?

I have the Mei Ah which fills up my widescreen TV but I have the MIA of Return of the God of Gamblers which does look like you described. Using the 16:9 zoom you lose part of the picture. I then tried the 14:9 zoom and that is the screen size. Maybe God of Gamblers is 14:9 on the UK disc?

There is a version on you tube that is 16.9 and doesn't crop any of it. So i guess that was the original aspect ratio after all. I don't know what the hell MIA were playing at with that shoddy version. Perhaps your Mei Ah one is full 16.9 too.

I just finished watching Return of the God of Gamblers following on from last nights viewing of the original movie. This was the movie I remember watching all those years ago having the original VHS back then except that I remember it being good. Barring some delicious eye candy in Chingamy Yau this film really sucks in my opinion and is a shadow of the original. I'm not sure I'm too bothered about the new sequel after this one, which I will never watch again. God of Gamblers was a very entertaining movie and I doubt they can recapture the spirit of that film. So deal me out:tongue: