Rarescope: DVD quality (for 'tech wankers' only)

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Can anyone confirm that Rarescope's 'Face Behind the Mask' and 'Choi Lee Fat Kung Fu' are progressive scan? And is there any difference between the UK and US (Brentwood) releases?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, not being a big "tech wanker" myself, and can't say if CLFKF is progressive or not, but it is definitely one of the worst rarescope prints, or prints in general, that I have seen. The red and especially green levels are totally fucked, and just the overall wear and tear makes it almost unwatchable (to me).

Killer Meteor
Can anyone confirm that Rarescope's 'Face Behind the Mask' and 'Choi Lee Fat Kung Fu' are progressive scan? And is there any difference between the UK and US (Brentwood) releases?

UK discs

Face Behind The Mask has jerky motion for some reason

Choi Lee Fat - instances of awkward ghosting but generally a good transfer of a rubbish print!

Guest Markgway
Well, not being a big "tech wanker" myself, and can't say if CLFKF is progressive or not, but it is definitely one of the worst rarescope prints, or prints in general, that I have seen. The red and especially green levels are totally fucked, and just the overall wear and tear makes it almost unwatchable (to me).

Pity it's as poor as that.

You see, I'm usually willing to cut a distributor some slack if they do their best with the materials they have (more so with rare films like these).

If the disc is anamorphic widescreen, original aspect ratio, original language mono, uncut, and progressive, then it seems to me that short of finding a new print, the company in question has done their best.

Still need word on the progressive aspect, but AFAIK, the other boxes are ticked.

UK discs

Face Behind The Mask has jerky motion for some reason

Choi Lee Fat - instances of awkward ghosting but generally a good transfer of a rubbish print!

Hmm... wonder if the BCI releases are the same or fixed?

Killer Meteor
Pity it's as poor as that.

You see, I'm usually willing to cut a distributor some slack if they do their best with the materials they have (more so with rare films like these).

If the disc is anamorphic widescreen, original aspect ratio, original language mono, uncut, and progressive, then it seems to me that short of finding a new print, the company in question has done their best.

Still need word on the progressive aspect, but AFAIK, the other boxes are ticked.

Hmm... wonder if the BCI releases are the same or fixed?

From memory, the BCI's were PAL-NTSC.

Cub Tiger from Kwangtung - NTSC (Japanese dvd) to PAL (Rarescope UK) to NTSC (BCI) = argh my eyes!!!

TibetanWhiteCrane

Agreed, Mark.... if they do their utmost with what they got, then you can't really fault them.... sadly oh so few do though.

Killer Meteor
I don't see any interlacing or conversion problems in that clip.

I'm not an expert, so correct me if I'm wrong... but that looks progressive.

Same with FACE (see clip here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWWJl1ektV8

The interlacing in Choi was isolated -- majority is progressive.

Subtitles are the worst ever!

Guest Markgway
The interlacing in Choi was isolated -- majority is progressive.

Subtitles are the worst ever!

That's weird. How did that happen do you think? Some kind of glitch? Roughly how many instances are we talking about here - a couple? I mean, I don't want to be too harsh on Rarescope if it's a small thing. Could even be something Brentwood corrected? I'm sure someone here must own these titles.

Killer Meteor
That's weird. How did that happen do you think? Some kind of glitch? Roughly how many instances are we talking about here - a couple? I mean, I don't want to be too harsh on Rarescope if it's a small thing. Could even be something Brentwood corrected? I'm sure someone here must own these titles.

Just a couple on the titles, nothing to really worry about. Blink-and-you-miss-them.

Now, about those subs..."Name of boxing act", "they are praying"...yeesh!

Guest Markgway

D'oh. I tried to edit this post and wound up deleting it. What a tit!

And then there was this...

Those theatrical subs are just more obvious because of they're poor grasp of spelling and grammar.

Talk about irony!!!

Killer Meteor
Ah, yeah, I think DD's King Boxer had something like that.

The problem with subtitles is that as soon as you start to look at them with more than a cursory glance they come up short. I've done custom subs for a couple of HKL titles and even someone who doesn't speak Cantonese - like myself - can spot the liberties and inaccuracies littered throughout. Those theatrical subs are just more obvious because of they're poor grasp of spelling and grammar.

Well in this case, they didn't translate a lot of the dialogue, they just gave up and wrote "they are praying" in place of a song, and "name of boxing act" everytime someone called out a kung fu stance.

Agree with HKL in terms of accuracy (especially their "little prick" line in Police Story) but the english was fine and the choice of dialogue snappy, so at least you wern't embarrased about showing these to your friends!

masterofoneinchpunch

I have a CRT at home, but I'll test these out on the computer if anyone is interested. I believe I have all of the R1 Rarescope. I'll start with the best release.

Along Comes The Tiger (R1/NTSC Rarescope) 1:24:42

This is the best release that Rarescope had put out here in the States. I believe it is the only one with removable subs, but I'll check all of them. It looks to be progressive, at least I do not notice any combing or pal-to-ntsr blur. The dark scenes are a little dark, but I don't think there is a better print/release of this.

Photo Gallery, Robert Tai Interview (5m:55), Trailer (1m:49)

2.0 Dolby Original English Version

2.0 Dolby English Rarescope Remix

2.0 Dolby Original Mandarin Version

2.0 Mandarin Rarescope Remix

2.0 Dolby Wong Tao Audio Commentary (with Toby Russell) Commentary Notes

Removable English Subtitles

Anamorphic Widescreen

Slipcover

Killer Meteor
I have a CRT at home, but I'll test these out on the computer if you are interested Mark. I believe I have all of the R1 Rarescope. I'll start with the best release.

Along Comes The Tiger (R1/NTSC Rarescope) 1:24:42

This is the best release that Rarescope had put out here in the States. I believe it is the only one with removable subs, but I'll check all of them. It looks to be progressive, at least I do not notice any combing or pal-to-ntsr blur. The dark scenes are a little dark, but I don't think there is a better print/release of this.

Photo Gallery, Robert Tai Interview (5m:55), Trailer (1m:49)

2.0 Dolby Original English Version

2.0 Dolby English Rarescope Remix

2.0 Dolby Original Mandarin Version

2.0 Mandarin Rarescope Remix

2.0 Dolby Wong Tao Audio Commentary (with Toby Russell) Commentary Notes

Removable English Subtitles

Anamorphic Widescreen

Slipcover

The UK transfer was awful. Full of jagged edges, colour smearing and pixellation.

masterofoneinchpunch
The UK transfer was awful. Full of jagged edges, colour smearing and pixellation.

It's not a great print (the US), but compared to the rest of Rarescope it is one of the best releases for extras and print. Some of the top/bottom edging is off, didn't see any pixellation, colors are decent, but could be improved. I believe Wang Tao actually had the 35mm negative since he produced this film.

Archived