Tom Yum Goong 2 (2013)

OpiumKungFuCracker

where can i buy it.. i know a lot of you guys knock it.. but its tony Jaa and just like scott adkins i have to support the guys i love so they keep making movies

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OpiumKungFuCracker

• Drunken Monk

• Gwai LO

• One Armed Boxer

I'm with Gwai Lo on this one, i'll buy it despite the reviews. The action in the trailers looks good and even if it's not Jaa's best I think it'll be worth a watch.

ShaOW!linDude

I don't think it will tank completely action wise. If nothing else, it'll certainly have us wanting more. (But hey, I'm one of the few who thought OB3 had its moments.:tongue:)

See I figure it can't be much worse than OB3.. I don't mind the cheesy car chases or the fire feet.. As long as I see good fighting I'm happy. I'm not expecting any kinda story line. If someone stole his elephant again, as long as he whoops that ass... I'm happy

I don't think it will tank completely action wise. If nothing else, it'll certainly have us wanting more. (But hey, I'm one of the few who thought OB3 had its moments.:tongue:)

My thoughts exactly, Jaa is still an excellent martial artist and personally I think the comments about him being slower and less athletic than in the original Ong Bak (made 10 years ago) that some of the reviews have mentioned are particularly unfair. I still train in Wushu aged 37 (the same as Jaa) and although I can still flip and perform acrobatic moves trust me it's much harder than it was at 27! So yeah, i'm sure he can still deliver action wise too and I hope he continues his crazy fights and stunts for many years to come.

Oh and i'm a fan of OB3 too!!:smile:

OpiumKungFuCracker
My thoughts exactly, Jaa is still an excellent martial artist and personally I think the comments about him being slower and less athletic than in the original Ong Bak (made 10 years ago) that some of the reviews have mentioned are particularly unfair. I still train in Wushu aged 37 (the same as Jaa) and although I can still flip and perform acrobatic moves trust me it's much harder than it was at 27! So yeah, i'm sure he can still deliver action wise too and I hope he continues his crazy fights and stunts for many years to come.

Oh and i'm a fan of OB3 too!!:smile:

Yeah I don't understand that sort of criticism too about Jaa being slow and shit when the first Ong bak came out ages ago. Jackie Chan well into his 40's or 50s in the late 90s and I still enjoy his choreography. Critics expect so much from something that should just be for entertainment purposes only.

I think some critics tend to have a fixated mind on what to expect from certain performers and when that performer tries something different, it may not always or have to be good, but at least as a critic myself, I do appreciate the effort.

Take Van Damme for instance. For many years, he had always done the high kicking and spin kicks. However, when I saw SIX BULLETS, I saw he delved into using more close quarter combat as opposed to his usual kicking. And to be honest, I like that he decided to do this and I know his age played a factor. It's great that he used this method and not the usual. To me, it shows that the performer doesn't have to be a typecast but rather versatile.

As far as TYG2 goes, I still will see it. Despite the mixed reactions, it will be interesting to see what new stuff is added to the action plus I will admit, after seeing WRONG SIDE OF TOWN, I've been wanting to see more of Marrese Crump. He had an excellent knife fight with returning WWE star David Bautista, who for a big guy, has some quick hands. Hearing Crump made an impact in TYG2, I really do hope FORMLESS will finally be made.

"There are moments in Tom Yum Goong 2 when Tony Jaa displays a fine level of fitness, speed and athleticism, but at other times he looks bigger and slower than in the past. The big question hanging over him now asks whether he has what it takes to come back - repair the damage, both to his reputation, image and physical condition - and reclaim the mantle many assumed to be his back in 2005."

This is from the twitch review, does the reviewer seriously expect Jaa to regain the level of physicality that he had 8 years ago when he would've been just 29 and at his peak!! I remember listening to Donnie on commentary for SPL and he was explaining that he had to do several takes of his trademark jump spinning back kick as he could barely get off the ground nowadays and we all know how well he could perform the kick in his prime. So whenever a performers age is brought up in this way for me a review loses some credibility.

ShaOW!linDude

I think a good bit will boil down to inventiveness in the choreography. We all know we can expect to see highlights of elbows, knees, and kicks in Tony's classic Muay Thai fashion. But my hope is that they will be used in an innovative fashion. I'm sure we'll get a lot of what we've seen him do before but a few dashes of some new stuff would do wonders for him.

You know that parkour free running fight in Wrath of Vajra? We have like 15+ minutes of that. Innovative stuff.

You know that Andy vs. Donnie fight in Special ID? We have like 30 minutes of that.

You can't deny Crump brings his A game. With that, Jaa brings his A+ game.

It's what we were surprised to see in Wrath of Vajra and what we expected from Special ID. Prachya Pinkaew has redeemed himself as a director.

** The youtube clip of Crump vs. Jaa we all cringed at was slowed down. The speed of their fights in the movie at actual speed is nothing short of amazing **

The best martial arts movie of 2013.

OpiumKungFuCracker
You know that parkour free running fight in Wrath of Vajra? We have like 15+ minutes of that. Innovative stuff.

You know that Andy vs. Donnie fight in Special ID? We have like 30 minutes of that.

You can't deny Crump brings his A game. With that, Jaa brings his A+ game.

It's what we were surprised to see in Wrath of Vajra and what we expected from Special ID. Prachya Pinkaew has redeemed himself as a director.

** The youtube clip of Crump vs. Jaa we all cringed at was slowed down. The speed of their fights in the movie at actual speed is nothing short of amazing **

The best martial arts movie of 2013.

SUCK IT HATERS!!!! Yeah, you thought it be one of the worst movies and a disappointment didn't you? You were hoping this movie would fail and call Tony Jaa and company a has been right? I've not seen the movie yet but I'm behind Tony Jaa and company because why wouldn't you?

I liked the action whenever there was no use of 3D. Crump made the movie though imo, and gave Jaa some of his finest fight scenes to date.

But sorry, I think the movie still stinks. Like Yen and Evans have proved, you don't need solid/Oscar-worthy stories/acting for martial arts action movies but just exceptional skills in treating all aspects of film-making to make successful action movies. Plus a genuine purpose of layering a story and characters. The Ong Bak trilogy did it right.

Just watched it myself. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit though i will say that it's a completely ridiculous movie and is quite derivative of his previous films. There is a ton of action in it and the plot while being ridiculous keeps moving at a good pace and doesn't take up too much space. Tony's fights with the big black dude (Crump?) were exceptional.

The main issues i had were that the CGI 'stunts' that were put in looked really awkward and out of place and the green screen they used made a lot of the scenes really weird looking. The bike scene fell victim to this even though it was a great chase scene, some of the CGI moments were just out of place in a Jaa film. The very end fight where Tony is protecting the elephant was kind of weak compared to the rest of the action in the film, pretty much all of RZA's fights were lackluster.

One Armed Boxer
pretty much all of RZA's fights were lackluster.

This concerns me, as my original understanding was that he was a last minute addition to the cast, probably in part due to what at the the time was the imminent release of 'The Man With the Iron Fists'. Now I'm wondering exactly how much screentime does he have!?

He's not a main character but he gets a decent bit of air time. He has a brief-ish fight with Tony. I thought he was ok as the villian but they obviously needed to cover his lack of fighting skill with a lot of editing.

I watched it last night. Is it a good film? Not particularly, but despite its weird 3D moments and truly awful CGI, I enjoyed it way more than Special ID. I'll be the first in line for a subtitled Blu-ray.

TheGrimReaper

What can I say about it...

The first Tom Yum Goong was imo weaker than the first Ong Bak, however it had some nice visuals and set pieces, and I actually had some sentiments towards Kham's cause - that is he rescuing the elephants and kicking a lot of butts along the way (although I've found the 50+ guys scene to be dragged a bit longer and quite repetitive for my taste).

Here I got tons of action, but no relevant plot to care about or any characters to give an actual fuck (pardon my French) - it has more action scenes than the original, but the thing with the 3D is not up to any martial arts movies...

It just as I was watching a theatrical play for most of the time, were they on such tight budget that they couldn't afford some nice outdoor scenes? All the fights were in a confined space, indoors and no matter how creative it might be, at one point I was simply neutral...

Most of the moves I've already seen before in some previous movies from Jaa, yes the Crump guy was the bright star indeed, and RZA was simply laughable all the way, but maybe Jaa should think of some different aspects of the choreography, rather than just digests over the same for years.

Here the motorcycle scene was too long and wasn't contributing much to the actual pace of the movie itself, but as a tradition it must appear in the film. Some of the fights really got the negative side from being shot on green screen, while others were made quite nice and shown the power of Maurice Crump and Co.

Again we have hard-hitting punches and kicks, lots of bodies damaged, but maybe this time it was like a big showreel clip rather than a fully fledged movie. Jaa still has something to show and he is certanly the engine here, but this time he feels like being rushed.

We all know that the plot is always secondary when it comes to martial arts movies, but there are many examples out there where the action exceeds the dialogue and still are better movies than Tom Yum Goong 2 (the first movie that comes to mind is Project A, the second is Broken Path).

Maybe Jaa and Co. would reconsider some other ideas for the third movie :)

Greetings

TheGrimReaper

Well, she was simply attached to that project as a suporting role, nothing special in there for me at least.

She does some fancy moves, but that's it - nothing out of the ordinary. But she gets to the final showdown for some extra kicks towards Maurice Crump.

I think she was misused here, I prefer watching her in Chocolate instead of here. It is primarily a jaa's vehicle and he gets the lion share of all action scenes.

Simply put it was Tom Yum Goong 2 feat. Jeeja Yanin. She experiences some pain though as it was obvious that Maurice Crump was way too tough for her skills :)

One Armed Boxer
All I have heard Is Jaa fights.. What about JeeJa Yanins fights?

Yanin initially got top billing with Jaa when the first promotional material was released for the movie, so the original plan was definitely for her to also feature prominently. However she got pregnant in the middle of filming, which was one of the (many) reasons that the release kept on getting pushed back as much as it did. As a result her role became more of a supporting one, and all of the latter promotional material promoted it as purely a Jaa vehicle.