Tom Yum Goong 2 (2013)

OpiumKungFuCracker

As much as I like Jaa's work, I'm having LOW expectations for this one. It is a sequel to TYG and was made over 2 years ago. Don't expect anything groundbreaking.

What it WILL be like is TYG but with more fights and another elephant. Period.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OpiumKungFuCracker

• Drunken Monk

• Gwai LO

• One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

The very idea of Prachya Pinkaew making a good movie is laughable, so I don't expect anything from the story except for a lame rehash of the first movie. However if the action delivers, I think we've all learnt that that's the most we can expect from Thai action cinema. So, if it's nothing but a long stunt reel, you can still count me in.

ShaOW!linDude
The very idea of Prachya Pinkaew making a good movie is laughable, so I don't expect anything from the story except for a lame rehash of the first movie. However if the action delivers, I think we've all learnt that that's the most we can expect from Thai action cinema. So, if it's nothing but a long stunt reel, you can still count me in.

Ditto!!!!!

gwailosforever
So what's the consensus on this? Anyone see it?

I saw this on the big screen here in Vietnam. I'm sad to say it's truly awful. I have nothing good to say about it. It's shockingly bad in every respect. Acting, dialogue, story, structure, pacing, lighting, production design, music, you name it. Worse of all the action sucks too. So much crap green screen stuff, process shots, wire removal, CGI motorbikes, trains, fire and it all looks terrible. What real action there is is captured and edited horribly. Granted the first Tom Yum Goong wasn't a great film and had many problems, but it had charm and the action was great. This sequel has none of that. It's just terrible.

Now I don't take any pleasure in saying this. For reference I saw the original Tom Yum Goong three times at the cinema in Thailand, and I LOVE Ong Bak 2. I'm certainly no Ja hater. This film broke my heart.

I saw this on the big screen here in Vietnam. I'm sad to say it's truly awful. I have nothing good to say about it. It's shockingly bad in every respect. Acting, dialogue, story, structure, pacing, lighting, production design, music, you name it. Worse of all the action sucks too. So much crap green screen stuff, process shots, wire removal, CGI motorbikes, trains, fire and it all looks terrible. What real action there is is captured and edited horribly. Granted the first Tom Yum Goong wasn't a great film and had many problems, but it had charm and the action was great. This sequel has none of that. It's just terrible.

Now I don't take any pleasure in saying this. For reference I saw the original Tom Yum Goong three times at the cinema in Thailand, and I LOVE Ong Bak 2. I'm certainly no Ja hater. This film broke my heart.

Damn..must be why no one is talking about it. I love Ong Bak 2 as well, so I trust your Tony Jaa judgement.

gwailosforever
Damn..must be why no one is talking about it. I love Ong Bak 2 as well, so I trust your Tony Jaa judgement.

Very good point that no one is really talking about it. It's been out in Asia for over a month, yet hardly any posts on here and other forums, plus not much in the way of reviews either. Compare that to the reaction of Ong Bak and the original Tom Yum Goong. Although we both loved Ong Bak 2 it wasn't universally liked, but it had way more written about it than TYG2.

Anyone esle here seen it? Would love to get other people's opinions.

I accidentally clicked on this thread and was skimming it thinking the above was a review of Special ID, then I remembered Special ID had no CGI / green screen stuff or very little. Then it made sense. So it's worse than Special ID???

So my friend has been in Thailand since a couple of weeks ago and told me he couldn't find any theaters playing it. It came out Oct. 28 in Thailand, less than one month and it's already out of cinemas..is that the norm, or was it sucking over there?

I've noticed Thailand and Malaysia have a lot of movies that hit theaters and are out on DVD 2 months later while the buzz is still big.. Kl gangster was a big hit in Malaysia and was out on DVD 2 months after release

The movie hit theaters here in Philippines just last week so I decided to give it a try.

Sadly, this is one of the cases where bad criticism from the majority toward a hyped movie matches my afterthoughts after having absolutely low expectations. This was just so bad in many ways. Story, acting (RZA, playing the main villain fighting Jaa in the end, showed some of the most outragous facials I've seen in a good while), cinematography, music, editing (in some action scenes), camerawork (excessive use of close-ups during substantial shots showing great choreography at times), and even the 3D use during action scenes. However, the moments with whoever the black MA actor (the name escapes me at the moment but he's exceptional!) is are the saving grace. He gets three fight scenes and the first two with Jaa are truly up there with Jaa's best action scenes!

But overall, it was nowhere enough. Simply the worst Jaa movie I've seen so far. Just check it out for Jaa's non-3D fight scenes and the black MA actor doing his thing.

2/10

So it's worse than Special ID???

Jaa's two fight scenes with Marrese Crump are greatly entertaining and equals the action in Special ID. But yeah, it's hell lot worse as a movie. Yen's movie may have some Mainland romance fluff and comedy but overall it's handled much better in terms of general filmmaking. And it maintains something I crave for in every movie, regardless of the type of story: a purpose in the overall story that reaches out to the viewer, which I felt Jaa's movie didn't have.

aww:squigglemouth:

I hope you guys are wrong but RZA Vs Jaa in the finale, that doesn't sound. I'll still definitely check it out and just hope that SPL2 delivers.

gwailosforever
I accidentally clicked on this thread and was skimming it thinking the above was a review of Special ID, then I remembered Special ID had no CGI / green screen stuff or very little. Then it made sense. So it's worse than Special ID???

Yes it's much worse than Special ID. At least Special ID delivers a few decent fights and an epic car chase if nothing else. TYG2 delives nothing in my opinion.

I'm glad Jaa is broadening his horizons and branching out to different countries to make movies, seems the Thai (action)film industry has no intentions of raising the bar for themselves. I really didn't see the point of making a second TYG as the first one was mediocre at best.

Any one got any news on a DVD release.. I know it's for horrid reviews.. But I want to check it out. If no DVD release news, does anyone have a link to check it out online?

DVD will be released at the end of this month, according to someone on Facebook.

I have a few Thai discs from Happy Home Entertainment and none of them have English subtitles.

1554632_775472835800686_1304075223_n.jpg

One Armed Boxer
It really sounds like this film has faded into nothingness. I still want to see it but it's not a good sign.

Agreed, the silence over this movie is weird....'Ninja 2' had a lot of hype and upon its release people have been raving about it, 'Special ID' had a lot of hype and upon its release people pretty much ripped it to pieces...but 'TYG2' is out there, and practically nobody is saying anything either good or bad.

I'm hoping it's just because it's still not widely available outside of Thailand...and once the US & other western territories release hits there'll be more noise, but for now, yeah the complete non-reaction is a worry.

I have heard it's shit.. the trailer was a one watch affair too...

not too fussed ONG BAK was the bollox and so was Tom Yung Goon