Tom Yum Goong 2 (2013)

OpiumKungFuCracker

masterofoneinchpunch
I don't think Prachya Pinkaew is that bad. His films seems tolerable to me unlike the other countless unwatchable Thai films that I've watched in the past. In fact, I don't think I liked a Thai film outside of a Prachya Pinkaew film that I can remember? Or am I missing one??

I like Prachya Pinkaew overall as well.

Have you seen Tears of a Black Tiger or horror film Shutter? Those are my favorite non-Prachya Thai films.

Also, there are the art films of Apichatpong Weerasethakul and he is quite popular among certain cinemaphiles but he can be esoteric (notice I did not put him in my top Thai films).

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OpiumKungFuCracker

• Drunken Monk

• Gwai LO

• One Armed Boxer

OpiumKungFuCracker
I like Prachya Pinkaew overall as well.

Have you seen Tears of a Black Tiger or horror film Shutter? Those are my favorite non-Prachya Thai films.

Also, there are the art films of Apichatpong Weerasethakul and he is quite popular among certain cinemaphiles but he can be esoteric (notice I did not put him in my top Thai films).

I've heard of it, don't think I've given it a watch yet. But will now!:nerd:

One Armed Boxer
I don't think Prachya Pinkaew is that bad. His films seems tolerable to me unlike the other countless unwatchable Thai films that I've watched in the past. In fact, I don't think I liked a Thai film outside of a Prachya Pinkaew film that I can remember? Or am I missing one??

Speaking based purely on Thai action cinema, which was what was being referenced, 'Born to Fight' (the 2004 remake), 'Dynamite Warrior', 'Yamada: The Samurai of Ayothaya', & 'Ong Bak 2' all rank for me as Thai action classics, with Pinkaew not directing any of them.

Outside of the action cinema genre I'd 100% agree with these choices, and also the Pang Brothers debut 'Bangkok Dangerous' (avoid the Hollywood remake starring Nicolas Cage) is a fantastic Thai movie. Another one to check out is director Ekachai Uekrongtham's 'Beautiful Boxer', whose next feature will be the Jaa & Dolph Lundgren starring 'Skin Trade'.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Speaking based purely on Thai action cinema, which was what was being referenced, 'Born to Fight' (the 2004 remake), 'Dynamite Warrior', 'Yamada: The Samurai of Ayothaya', & 'Ong Bak 2' all rank for me as Thai action classics, with Pinkaew not directing any of them.

Outside of the action cinema genre I'd 100% agree with these choices, and also the Pang Brothers debut 'Bangkok Dangerous' (avoid the Hollywood remake starring Nicolas Cage) is a fantastic Thai movie. Another one to check out is director Ekachai Uekrongtham's 'Beautiful Boxer', whose next feature will be the Jaa & Dolph Lundgren starring 'Skin Trade'.

Born To Fight was good but not re-watchable because of a lack of screen presence. IMO, that's where Tony Jaa movies come in and I know some folks don't think Jaa is even that charismatic or a good actor but take away his elephant and see what happens? Ong Bak 2 was not directed by Pinkaew? I did not know that and I loved Ong Bak 2. The others you mention have not see but will now!

masterofoneinchpunch
Born To Fight was good but not re-watchable because of a lack of screen presence. IMO, that's where Tony Jaa movies come in and I know some folks don't think Jaa is even that charismatic or a good actor but take away his elephant and see what happens? Ong Bak 2 was not directed by Pinkaew? I did not know that and I loved Ong Bak 2. The others you mention have not see but will now!

I agree too with Born to Fight, Dynamite Warrior and Yamada: The Samurai of Ayothaya which I found decent to good but not up there with Ong Bak in terms of rewatchability. Now the newer Born to Fight (not really a remake since the plots were so different than the older film) has some very rewatchable fights and stunts and is the my favorite of the three mentioned.

I still need to see Beautiful Boxer though OAB. Heard good things about it so I'll pick it up when I have the chance.

Back to the thread topic: I'm still going to see this film regardless :). I don't expect it to be worse than Spirited Killer :).

One Armed Boxer
Ong Bak 2 was not directed by Pinkaew? I did not know that and I loved Ong Bak 2. The others you mention have not see but will now!

'Ong Bak 2' was Jaa's directorial debut, and it was well documented about how he had a breakdown on set and disappeared for a couple of weeks. In the end his mentor Panna Rittikrai was brought in to help him finish it off, so it's billed as being directed by both Jaa & Rittikrai.

Pinkaew had no involvement though, apparently he & Jaa had a falling out while in the early stages of planning their period action movie which was to heavily feature a Thai double sword technique. However with 'TYG2' it would appear whatever those differences were must have been resolved.

One Armed Boxer
Muay Thai fighter is by fart favorite Thai movie. I think it BY FAR has the best story, the actors are believable and the twist is awesome

Sounds like you're speaking a load of hot air to me.... :tongue:

On a serious note though, I also heard good things about this movie...the original title is 'Muay Thai Chaiya'...but I've never had the opportunity to watch it.

There's a thread about it here - http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?p=165241#post165241

TibetanWhiteCrane

Muay Thai Chaiya was a rushed,cliche'd gangster film with fairly underwhelming fight action. Some of the components worked well individually, but as a whole, it didn't really come together. I was entertained on the first viewing, but the second time I popped it in, I turned it off after half an hour or so... maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but I haven't had any urge to watch it again since.

Sounds like you're speaking a load of hot air to me.... :tongue:

On a serious note though, I also heard good things about this movie...the original title is 'Muay Thai Chaiya'...but I've never had the opportunity to watch it.

There's a thread about it here - http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?p=165241#post165241[/

I enjoyed the hell out of it

At first I heard it opens oct 23 or the 18th.. But recently when I looked it up they have been saying December.. So I'm not sure. Someone on this forum says it opens in HK nov 7th.. Would be nice to have an official date

One Armed Boxer
I'm excited for Prachya Pinkaew new movie he is making with RZA "formless" the trailer looks awesome

I think you mean you're excited for the upcoming movie by Panna Rittikrai starring Marrese Crump...

I think you mean you're excited for the upcoming movie by Panna Rittikrai starring Marrese Crump...

Yeah, this highlight reel right here:

ruZG_5C6o6o

That's too bad. One of the reviews I read suggest that there's so much action that it forgets to tell us why we're supposed to care about who's fighting, a complaint that I had seen directed at Ong Bak 2 as well. I wonder how the RZA's fighting performance was in this.

Watched it today, It was really bad. Don't waste your time on it. Too bad I was excited and so looking foward to it.

Well, after this profound and exhausting review I certainly give up all hope. Not!

Well, after this profound and exhausting review I certainly give up all hope. Not!

I also discounted it especially after checking his post history.