Tom Yum Goong 2 (2013)

OpiumKungFuCracker

Drunken Monk
You cant judge that yet Until you see The man with the Iron Fists

He also has knowledge in kung fu films he has 3000 movie data base in is head lol thats what it seems like when you talk to him about kung fu films

Knowledge is not the same as artistic vision. I consider myself to have a huge knowledge of hip hop but couldn't make a good rap song if you paid me.

I value his "uber fanboy" status and understand he loves all things kung fu, but that doesn't give him license to wedge himself into any kung fu production.

Also, "The Man with the Iron Fists" trailer has people worried that it's no nearly the kung fu film they had hoped...including myself. There's a whooooole bunch of wires in that footage!

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OpiumKungFuCracker

• Drunken Monk

• Gwai LO

• One Armed Boxer

ShaOW!linDude

Yeah, I'm in DM's camp on that.

No offense, but honestly, I'm one of the few who aren't enthused about Rza's film. I'll be waiting for it to hit a movie channel before watching it, and I may not bother with it then. It just doesn't interest me. Maybe once it's out and I read what some of the forum members think, I'll change my tune. That's doubtful though.

If I had the opportunity to make a kung fu film like he has, I'd tailor it to my preferences....which he most likely has. If that's the case, he and I enjoy/appreciate different aspects of the genre.

Sheesh so much heat on Rza.....everyone here knows damn well if we had the money and pull that we would do something to help kung fu movies stay alive....If i were in Rza position, id be doing the same thing.....and just like you said DM just because hes a huge fan of the genre doesnt mean he can make a great film, but it doesnt mean that he will not make a good film either.....

and who cares if this has wires and special effects.....how many classics have wires and special effects out the ass? Bastard Swordsman anyone?

And here's to hopes that Jaa hurries the crap up

Drunken Monk
Sheesh so much heat on Rza.....everyone here knows damn well if we had the money and pull that we would do something to help kung fu movies stay alive....If i were in Rza position, id be doing the same thing.....and just like you said DM just because hes a huge fan of the genre doesnt mean he can make a great film, but it doesnt mean that he will not make a good film either.....

and who cares if this has wires and special effects.....how many classics have wires and special effects out the ass? Bastard Swordsman anyone?

I understand your line of logic. I just don't see that he's really done much to help kung fu cinema, other than allegedly buying 3000 films.

As for his film? It simply doesn't LOOK good. "Bastard Swordsman" had a great trailer, at least.

I understand your line of logic. I just don't see that he's really done much to help kung fu cinema, other than allegedly buying 3000 films.

As for his film? It simply doesn't LOOK good. "Bastard Swordsman" had a great trailer, at least.

Rza or Wu tang clan brought over movies that were not being sold here in the states

Ground Zero and Rza teamed up to sell those films here like Sleeping fist, 18 fatal strikes, and tons more.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I could care less if Rush Limbaugh is helping Tony Jaa, just finish the movie and release it to the masses is all I care about...

Rza or Wu tang clan brought over movies that were not being sold here in the states

Ground Zero and Rza teamed up to sell those films here like Sleeping fist, 18 fatal strikes, and tons more.

That's a good point, but as they were usually bootlegs, you could argue that Stiller did the same.

silver hermit

big up RZA anyone that lends a helping hand just for the love should get respect. even if its just lighting advice, lifting a box, laying cable, technical advice or a modern film making methods. it doesn't matter he went out of his way to help someone else's production. i'm sure he learned as much as much as he helped out. thats how more people should be. it seems he is being judged for who he is and not the deed in question. SO BIG UP YOURSELF RZA respect :angel:

TibetanWhiteCrane

I don't think anyone here is judging Rza on who he is. But judging the trailer for his new film, which just doesn't look very good. But that's a matter of opinion. And while I do give him props for bringing a lot of obscure titles to a western audience, it's not like those titles were particularly cared for or treated with much respect by the GZ/WU label.

odioustrident

Those titles released by RZA and crew were all provided by Toby. They spent some money getting them out but I'm not sure how much effort or non-financial interest was really involved in that. We can only speculate at this point.

Two things we can't question though:

They enjoy their shapes.

MWTIF is probably the first time some classic Taiwan (and HK) wuxia has had real influence on a Western theatrical release. Pretty crazy that we've even gotten this regardless of the CGI and lack of kung fu in the trailer.

I cant speak for everyone here but from reading what people are saying; I think that a lot of people are expecting kung fu instead of wire fu. The trailer was very much wire fu.

But, speaking for myself; I am sick of wire fu. Some wire work is ok but I want to watch a great choreographed fight scene via the old school way. By old school I mean Shaw Brothers/70`s/Pops, etc. And, there is no reason why that kind of action could not be updated somewhat. But, I was hoping that the whole Matrix style/influence/rip-off of John Woo stuff would just get out of the way for something else.

I have no love or hate for RZA. I have heard of him. I liked some of the music that he did for Kill Bill. But, I am not a fan of rap music. If he can direct; great. If not; well, guess he will have to return back to making music. But, there was not anything in the trailer that impressed me. I watched it and thought that I had seen everything before...way too many times before.

These days, people tend to sample great works instead of creating them. Music and film tend to be on the same course.

ShaOW!linDude
These days, people tend to sample great works instead of creating them. Music and film tend to be on the same course.

Wow. Excellent points. Those are pretty profound statements.

TibetanWhiteCrane
These days, people tend to sample great works instead of creating them.

A truer statement has seldom been spoken!

OOOORIIIIGIIINAAAALIIIITYYYY PLEEEEEAAAASEEEE:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I cant speak for everyone here but from reading what people are saying; I think that a lot of people are expecting kung fu instead of wire fu. The trailer was very much wire fu.

But, speaking for myself; I am sick of wire fu. Some wire work is ok but I want to watch a great choreographed fight scene via the old school way. By old school I mean Shaw Brothers/70`s/Pops, etc. And, there is no reason why that kind of action could not be updated somewhat. But, I was hoping that the whole Matrix style/influence/rip-off of John Woo stuff would just get out of the way for something else.

I have no love or hate for RZA. I have heard of him. I liked some of the music that he did for Kill Bill. But, I am not a fan of rap music. If he can direct; great. If not; well, guess he will have to return back to making music. But, there was not anything in the trailer that impressed me. I watched it and thought that I had seen everything before...way too many times before.

"... In time, as more Bruce Lee films are shown, the audience, will soon realize the difference.. Not only in acting ability, but in skill and quality." -Bruce Lee, in an excerpted quote, from an interview conducted in 1972. He was speaking about the over accentuated violence and hokey stunts in HK Cinema, and Kung Fu/Wu Xia films of the era. Eveyone was copying everyone, and no one was attempting anything fresh, or daring. This applies today, with wire-fu, Crouching Tiger, and Matrix-like action scenes... Nothing seems fresh.

There's been some high profile cases of authors stealing and then patching together different works of fiction for their own writing, and getting caught. I wonder how many haven't been caught...

You-know-what I wish people would keep bringing up the fact that rza is this huge martial-arts fan. If he is such a fan why hasn't he gone out and brought in lots of martial-arts talent, particularly kung-fu practitioners? And as far as Tony Jaa is concerned, let's be honest it would have only been a cameo, he had no work commitments. This film has been in the works for so long and Tony Jaa has only just got back working after his sabbatical in the monastery. Honestly I'm thankful he hasn't ruined his reputation being part of this "movie". Does anyone really want Tony Jaa wasting his talents in watered down Hollywood efforts? Really?

And as far as ground zero and his other kung-fu label releases, I find it hard to believe that somebody else wouldn't have released those titles in the United States. I don't think it was done out of a love of the movies, probably just capitalising on their name and selling product. whatever you think of Dragon Dynasty I think they have done more for kung-fu and martial-arts movies in the United States, at least generally trying to put out quality releases in my opinion anyway.

I also agree with the sentiment that just because we watched tons of martial-arts movies there's no reason whywe would make a good movie. I actually know nothing about making movies but I bet I could make a better martial-arts movie than man with the iron fists with a production budget of $1 million. I would simply hand it over to the Stunt People and the results would no doubt be amazing

True.. and, just because you like or are a so called fan of Kung Fu films, doesn't provide you pedigree on how to make them; no more than you getting your hands on mics and studio equipment makes you a producer in the music industry.

There are more than enough experienced, qualified, capable, people available who could provide audiences with exactly what they crave..

Let's get them to be a part of the process.

Drunken Monk

While I'm a Rza naysayer to some extent, we have to consider the fact that studios have somewhat of a say when it comes to what's marketable in a film. He has exhibited love for old school style choreography via his "Wu Tang and the Golden Phoenix" trailer or whatever the hell it was called.

As an unestablished filmmaker I'm sure the studio are being very careful with his debut, hence Eli Roth helping him out.

Well I'm sure had he wanted to he could have made a more independent production where the studio would have far less say. In fact he probably could have bankrolled that project on his own. I should think he has largely made the film he wanted to but I'm sure like most of us on the forum, were expecting more kung-fu and less wire work. I'm starting to think it was more about being a movie star action hero than a love for kung-fu Cinema. I suppose if he had got some real kung-fu talent they would have probably shown him up

http://www.impactonline.co/news/908-rza-joins-tony-jaa-for-tom-yum-goong

according to Mike Leeder, RZA will have an acting role in TYG2. hopefully someone can shed some more light on this production soon, I'm just glad to hear things are moving along. Tony Jaa and Jeeja Yanin together for the first time should equal an instant classic!

update: I have just found out Jeeja is now married and 5 months pregnant, and reportedly her role in TYG2 is smaller than originally thought, but at least she's still in it. supposedly production is almost done on it!

TibetanWhiteCrane

Obviously there's cgi, that's not even a question. But they never said they wouldn't use it, like they did with OB...

Didn't really like the first one, actually thought this one looks more promising, apart from Rza... whom I wish would just go away.

Drunken Monk

Despite the dodgy GCI, this looks solid. They seem to have improved their cinematography and that train fight actually gave me a huge smile.