Tom Yum Goong 2 (2013)

OpiumKungFuCracker

Drunken Monk
What's the running time for the uncut version ? My French DVD copy has a running time of roughly 90 minutes (according to the package).

According to DDDHouse, 105 minutes.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OpiumKungFuCracker

• Drunken Monk

• Gwai LO

• One Armed Boxer

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I got the HK Blu ray of Tom Yum Goong, its good and uncut.

What's the running time for the uncut version ? My French DVD copy has a running time of roughly 90 minutes (according to the package).

According to DDDHouse, 105 minutes.

According to http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=8923 the HK version of TOM YUM GOONG (2005, aka. Honor of the Beast; The Warrior King; The Protector)... IS cut. See below...

TOM YUM GOON- DVD

OVERALL: Draw (On which is the best available version of the film)

- R3 Thailand SE offers the original Thai version with probably the best extras, including an exclusive audio commentary, but it has only a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack and is not English friendly at all.

- R1 UE has both the original Thai and the US versions, with a DTS soundtrack on the US version only, and offers a completely different set of extras.

- R2 UK and R2 Japanese have only the Thai version, but they also have a DTS soundtrack and good extras. Do note that these two editions have a completely different set of extras and that the Japanese disc is not English friendly.

R3 Hong Kong release is cut and should be avoided.

General Notes: There are 4 different versions. (Special thanks to Rewind user chen lung.)

1) The original Thai version, with 'outtake' credits, running ~110min.

2) The Thai version, with black screen credits instead of the outtakes, also running ~110min.

3) The French version. This version has black screen credits and replaces the music with a new score by a French Hip Hop singer. It runs ~90min.

4) The US version. This version replaces the music with a new score by 'RZA' and runs ~83min.

5) The German version. This version runs ~90min.

A comparison between the Thai and German versions is available on Schnittberichte.

CUTS:

R1 Ultimate Edition America- Genius Products - Dragon Dynasty - No cuts - includes both the original Thai (110:29 NTSC) and the US (83:23 NTSC) versions.

R2 France- TF1 Vidéo - No cuts - French version (~86min PAL).

R2 Japan- Klock Worx - No cuts - Thai version.

R2 United Kingdom- Premier Asia - No cuts - Thai version.

R3 Hong Kong- Edko - Yes - Thai version, cut by 0:06.

R3 Korea- KD Media - No cuts - Thai version (109:56 NTSC).

R3 Special Edition Thailand- Mangpong - No cuts - original Thai version (105:32 PAL).

R4 Australia- Roadshow Home Entertainment - No cuts - includes both the original Thai (106:46 PAL) and the US (80:04 PAL) versions.

TOM YUM GOONG- Blu-ray

OVERALL: Blu-ray ALL

The US edition since it offers the original Thai version, extras and is English friendly.

General Notes: There are 4 different versions. (Special thanks to Rewind user chen lung.)

1) The original Thai version, with 'outtake' credits, running ~110min.

2) The Thai version, with black screen credits instead of the outtakes, also running ~110min.

3) The French version. This version has black screen credits and replaces the music with a new score by a French Hip Hop singer. It runs ~90min.

4) The US version. This version replaces the music with a new score by 'RZA' and runs ~83min.

5) The German version. This version runs ~90min.

A comparison between the Thai and German versions is available on Schnittberichte.

CUTS:

Blu-ray ALL America- Vivendi Entertainment/Dragon Dynasty - No cuts - includes both the original Thai (110:33) and the US (83:24) versions.

Blu-ray B Germany- e-m-s - Yes (89:57).

Ong Bak has only been release on Blu in the awful cut version with the rap soundtrack. Can't see it getting an uncut HD release anywhere, especially in the UK where the martial arts movie releases died a few years ago.

ONG BAK- Blu-ray

OVERALL: Draw

Both releases have unique extras.

General Notes About Ong-Bak:

The film has been released in at least three versions: the Original Thai version (108min), the UK version (108min) and the French Theatrical Version (105min). Visually, the Thai and UK versions are identical, except that the UK version features a new orchestral score composed by Richard Wells. Lastly there's the French Luc Besson cut, which has become the most widely available edit since its release in 2004. This cut features ALL the fighting and graphic violence including two brutal limb breaks near the film's finale. However, it omits a subplot involving Mui and her drug addicted sister. It also features new hip-hop/rap music on the credits that has nothing to do with the film, Thai culture or Thailand - see Movie Censorship.

CUTS:

Blu-ray A America- Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment - No cuts, French Theatrical Cut (105:06)

Blu-ray A Hong Kong- Edko Video Ltd. - No Cuts, French Theatrical Cut (105:00)

Secret Executioner

The version I have is not the TF1 Video one, but is a release from a company called Videodis (bootleg ?).

Compared with the TF1 Video version:

R2 France - TF1 Vidéo

Extras:"5 Takes of Long Takes History" featurette (35:12)

"Multi Angle Fight Scenes" featurettes: (3 Angles)

- "X-Game" (3:55)

- "In the Temple" (5:32)

"Work Out With Tony Jaa" featurette (7:02)

Interview with actor Tony Jaa (7:32)

Subtitles:French (FORCED on the Thai soundtrack)

Aspect Ratio:1.85:1

Picture Format: Anamorphic

TV System: PAL

Soundtrack(s):Thai Dolby Digital 5.1

French DTS 5.1 (768 Kbps)

French Dolby Digital 5.1

Case type:Keep Case

Notes:French Title: "L'Honneur Du Dragon".

- it's still R2

- it has less extra (only a trailer)

- no subtitles

- only French soundtracks (DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1)

On a sidenote, the title Tom Yum Goong is more preeminent on the package than the French title L'Honneur du Dragon that is only seen on the front cover.

Secret Executioner
Hey guys, just for any casual readers who may confuse the information being given in posts #255 - #258 to be in relation to 'Tom Yum Goong 2'....can we keep the talk on the originals DVD versions to the dedicated thread here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3704&page=5

Some posts before that also discussed TYG releses - Ong Bak is also mentionned and I must say it's kind of confusing. :squigglemouth: Any chance those posts could be moved to the appropriate thread ?

Back to TYG2: except for the HK DVD released in May and the upcoming UK DVD, what other releases (BD or DVD) do we have so far (either existing or planned) ?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
The version I have is not the TF1 Video one, but is a release from a company called Videodis (bootleg ?).

Compared with the TF1 Video version:

- it's still R2

- it has less extra (only a trailer)

- no subtitles

- only French soundtracks (DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1)

On a sidenote, the title Tom Yum Goong is more preeminent on the package than the French title L'Honneur du Dragon that is only seen on the front cover.

Interesting. No idea if that's a bootleg or not.

Hey guys, just for any casual readers who may confuse the information being given in posts #255 - #258 to be in relation to 'Tom Yum Goong 2'....can we keep the talk on the originals DVD versions to the dedicated thread here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3704&page=5

Yup. Sorry for any confusion caused. I did try to specify the title of the films I was giving the info on, but I know how easily people can skip over details.

Some posts before that also discussed TYG releses - Ong Bak is also mentionned and I must say it's kind of confusing. :squigglemouth: Any chance those posts could be moved to the appropriate thread ?

Back to TYG2: except for the HK DVD released in May and the upcoming UK DVD, what other releases (BD or DVD) do we have so far (either existing or planned) ?

TOM YUM GOONG 2 / THE PROTECTOR 2 is being released in the USA by Magnolia Pictures on July 29th in two Blu-ray versions. One version appears to be a standard edition, and the other looks like it comes with both the 3D and standard edition of the film. I'm getting the later. If I'm going to have to see a bunch of CGI shit flying at me, it may as well actually be in 3D as it was intended! :nerd:

One Armed Boxer

Way ahead of you GHW...already checked, but sadly the powers of moderation only allow you to move whole threads, it's not possible to actually re-locate specific posts, otherwise trust me it'd be done already.

I think the Australian DVD was the first official western release of the movie, it came out back in March without a theatrical run, and like a fool I went straight out and bought it.:tongue:

Secret Executioner

Update on my Tom-Yum-Goong (the FIRST film) DVD: it seems to be a Belgian release and not a French one - still uses the French version though.

I think the Australian DVD was the first official western release of the movie, it came out back in March without a theatrical run, and like a fool I went straight out and bought it.:tongue:

At least Australians had it early on. I guess the French release with be a direct-to-DVD but ages after the movie came out everywhere else...

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Oh, quit playing. I know you're watching that shit twice a day- before work, and after dinner. :bigsmile:

ShaOW!linDude

So this and THE RAID 2 both hit the US market this month. Cool beans!!!!! However, I'd've thought that this would have been released first. Seems like it took forever. Oh, well. Just a few more weeks....

OpiumKungFuCracker
so this and the raid 2 both hit the us market this month. Cool beans!!!!! However, i'd've thought that this would have been released first. Seems like it took forever. Oh, well. Just a few more weeks....

avoid at all cost!!!!! Humanity is in the palm of your hand!!! Make the right choice for mankind!!!

ShaOW!linDude
avoid at all cost!!!!! Humanity is in the palm of your hand!!! Make the right choice for mankind!!!

Surely this has to be better than Donnie's last 2 flicks, SPECIAL ID (which I've almost caved in to buy twice but resisted the temptation) and THE ICEMAN. And the curiosity to see this far outweighs my curiosity to see those.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Surely this has to be better than Donnie's last 2 flicks, SPECIAL ID (which I've almost caved in to buy twice but resisted the temptation) and THE ICEMAN. And the curiosity to see this far outweighs my curiosity to see those.

That cracker has smoked too much opium! :tongue:TOM YUM GOONG 2 is nowhere near the film it should be, but it's still filled with action (some really good) and stupid fun.

Those two Donnie films are both worth seeing. :nerd:

OpiumKungFuCracker, how can you hail MIAMI CONNECTION as the best movie ever made and still find no merit in this one?

ShaOW!linDude
That cracker has smoked too much opium! :tongue:TOM YUM GOONG 2 is nowhere near the film it should be, but it's still filled with action (some really good) and stupid fun.

Those two Donnie films are both worth seeing. :nerd:

Well, I"m still planning on getting it. I've read too much here about how good the fights with Marrese Crump are to skip that. And I like Jaa. I don't mind watching him go through his Muay Thai moves. He still amazes me as a martial artist.

Hmm, I may go ahead and score SPECIAL ID but I really have no interest in seeing ICEMAN just out of protest as a Yuen Biao fan.

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker, how can you hail MIAMI CONNECTION as the best movie ever made and still find no merit in this one?

Dragon Sound!!!:tongue:

One Armed Boxer
Oh, quit playing. I know you're watching that shit twice a day- before work, and after dinner. :bigsmile:

You're only half right with this statement. I watch it once a day before I go to work in the morning, and then once the end credits start rolling, I can rest assured that the rest of my day can only get better.

Well, I"m still planning on getting it. I've read too much here about how good the fights with Marrese Crump are to skip that. And I like Jaa. I don't mind watching him go through his Muay Thai moves. He still amazes me as a martial artist.

Ironically this was my exact line of thinking prior to the first time I put the movie into my DVD player.:tongue:

Shall definitely be interested to hear your thoughts once you've checked it out (hopefully via a mini-review!). I posted my own review of it here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/tom-yum-goong-2-aka-the-protector-2-2013-review/

This movie is a dumb but solid action movie. The "final final" fight was pretty dumb but I'd say the movie is still worth buying. The first movie is the epitome of a skip to the fights movie. The fights were so good for the most part but everything else is almost unwatchable.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
You're only half right with this statement. I watch it once a day before I go to work in the morning, and then once the end credits start rolling, I can rest assured that the rest of my day can only get better.

:tongue: LOL

Shall definitely be interested to hear your thoughts once you've checked it out (hopefully via a mini-review!). I posted my own review of it here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/tom-yum-goong-2-aka-the-protector-2-2013-review/

I'm looking forward to ShaOW!linDude doing a mini-review too.

BTW- I really liked your review at cityonfire.com One Armed Boxer, except that I'd have liked to hear you talk a bit more about the action. You didn't like any of the action? :squigglemouth: You weren't impressed with Marrese Crump? You didn't even rail against The RZA's "performance" and fight action? I definitely would've enjoyed another paragraph or two with you discussing these things.

This movie is a dumb but solid action movie. The "final final" fight was pretty dumb but I'd say the movie is still worth buying. The first movie is the epitome of a skip to the fights movie. The fights were so good for the most part but everything else is almost unwatchable.

Despite enjoying it, I wouldn't ever use the word "solid" to describe it. :xd:

Totally agree with you about the original though.

One Armed Boxer
BTW- I really liked your review at cityonfire.com One Armed Boxer, except that I'd have liked to hear you talk a bit more about the action. You didn't like any of the action? :squigglemouth: You weren't impressed with Marrese Crump? You didn't even rail against The RZA's "performance" and fight action? I definitely would've enjoyed another paragraph or two with you discussing these things.

Honestly, none of the action did anything for me. Marrese Crump is pretty electric in his demo reels, but if this was the first time you'd seen him in action, I'm not sure you'd be left feeling like you'd just witnessed anything particularly spectacular. Everyone in the movie just seems to come across as disinterested and looking like they'd rather be somewhere else. The RZA's acting performance is beyond atrocious, so much so that I don't think there are any words in the English vocabulary that could do justice to how bad it is....however, unbelievably, he's the only person who actually seems to put a decent amount of energy into his 1 fight scene.

luckystars
According to http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=8923 the HK version of TOM YUM GOONG (2005, aka. Honor of the Beast; The Warrior King; The Protector)... IS cut.

This is something I want to get to the bottom of. The Edko DVD of TYG is said to be cut by 6 seconds. I would like to know exactly what was cut, and is that censored version on the HK Blu, or is the HK Blu-Ray 100% uncut.

Thanks! :)

What I want to get to the bottom of, is despite all the extras on the original TYG DVD releases worldwide, why did nobody ever release the full extended bone break sequence?

Same with Ong Bak 2, lots of footage on the trailer never made it to the final film and never showed up as extras or deleted footage.

I will pick up the 3D bluray of of TYG2 and watch it as intended. Maybe the 3D will improve the final product :-)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
This is something I want to get to the bottom of. The Edko DVD of TYG is said to be cut by 6 seconds. I would like to know exactly what was cut, and is that censored version on the HK Blu, or is the HK Blu-Ray 100% uncut.

Thanks! :)

Sorry, I don't know. I only have the info I cited from that site. Unfortunately They don't specify what was cut.

What I want to get to the bottom of, is despite all the extras on the original TYG DVD releases worldwide, why did nobody ever release the full extended bone break sequence?

It's been a long time since I watched the extras for TYG. I don't recall what you are talking about. Which sequence? The one where all the guys dressed in black run at him and he breaks one person's bones after another? Is that the sequence you mean? Did they show more footage of that in the BTS stuff?

Same with Ong Bak 2, lots of footage on the trailer never made it to the final film and never showed up as extras or deleted footage.

I think that in this case, since Tony let the production spiral so far out of control, a lot of extra stuff got filmed. Then as they tried to figure out how to make the story work, some extraneous stuff was most likely cut, and didn't get used for either OB2 and OB3. It definitely would've been cool to see this excised footage as deleted scenes.

Doctor Schnabel von Rom

Was a real disappointment - the fight scenes were very cheap (with wire, with cgi...) and weak. tony jaa seem tired, fat and slowly! The bring in of the female lead from chocolate was not very good and rza as bad guy was a bad move too.

The movie will not stay in my collection. Tony jaas star was only short shining after his big ong bak success

Anyone have the HK VCD/DVD/Blu of this by Edko?

Trying to work out which were cut in the bone breaking scene...