Tom Yum Goong 2 (2013)

OpiumKungFuCracker

One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this one today, and I'm not even sure were to start. I honestly feel that 'Tom Yum Goong 2' is the rather sad final nail in the coffin for Thai action cinema. I still hope that the Dan Chupong / Panna Ritikrai collaboration 'Judgement of an Assassin' is completed, but really, what was supposed to be an awesome action come-back to me was instead the bottom of a barrel being scraped.

It's a struggle to even call this a sequel, it's more of a re-boot. Events play out almost identically to the original - shady characters try to negotiate the sale of an elephant, Jaa refuses to sell, they steal it anyway in a truck, Jaa finds the person he left to look after it on the floor beaten. Even the motorbike scene comes in at almost the exact same moment. Story wise, there's not even a single ounce of originality here, and the original was hardly ground breaking plot wise.

There's a scene near the beginning of the first 'Tom Yum Goong' when Jaa first arrives in Australia, he gets into a taxi and the driver turns out to be a wanted criminal. They end up being chased by a police car in what's one of the most awfully produced scenes you can imagine - the dialogue is cringe worthy, the acting terrible, the special FX even worse, with the passengers throwing themselves from side to side in what's clearly a car which isn't even moving, and the editing is a complete mess. Thankfully that scene soon becomes a memory, as Jaa unleashes against the likes of Johnny Tri Nguyen, Lateef Crowder, Jon Foo, Nathan Jones, and a whole army of henchman in beautiful long takes and increasingly bone crunching confrontations.

The quality of the sequel instead takes that God awful car chase from the original, and stretches it over 100 minutes. This is no exaggeration. The cost of its laboured 2+ year production is there onscreen for every second of its run time, and it's a heavy cost indeed. From Jija Yanin getting pregnant in the middle of production and delaying the whole thing for almost a year, to the hasty decision to make it in 3D, to the inclusion of RZA as the villain of the piece. The result is a horrible mess.

We have fight scenes which are sloppily edited full of quick cuts, strange shots which don't make any sense, a motorbike chase which drags on to the point you'll find yourself slipping into a coma, some of the worse CGI you'll ever witness in an action movie, and in the middle of it all is poor Tony Jaa. Say what you like about him, as he's attracted a lot of naysayers in recent years, but I'm a Jaa fan. I confess to never bothering with 'Ong Bak 3', but the original, its sequel, and 'Tom Yum Goong' are all action classics in my opinion. Hard hitting fights, long takes, simple but decent enough plots, and say what you like about his acting ability, but he conveys what he needs to, even if that usually is blind rage.

In 'Tom Yum Goong 2' he's reduced to an expressionless lump of muscle, I'd dare say a plank of wood could give a better acting performance than he does here. He just seems so, I don't know what the word is...absent minded? If there was ever a more literal example of a performer phoning it in, then that's what Jaa seems to be doing here. Remember the anger he oozes when ripping through the restaurant in 'Tom Yum Goong' on the search for his elephant? Well here it's stolen again, but it's hard to believe he gives a crap.

Perhaps it's all down to the fact that his heart had already left Sahamongkolfilm Co., the makers of all of his movies so far. It was well reported that he'd fallen out with them, as well as with director Prachya Pinkaew some time after the original was released, and these behind the scenes conflicts all seem to show up on screen in the quality of the performances. A video was posted in this thread some time ago showing Jaa vs Crump, and everyone panicked and said it looked terrible, before it came to light that at some point during the movie he's supposed to be drugged, so the clip must be part of that scene. I can safely say it's not, the fight plays out exactly as was shown in the clip, and Jaa is not under the influence of any drugs.

Put simply he's visibly slower and uninspired here. It's the same moves over and over again, and he actually spends a disproportionate amount of the run time having his ass handed to him. In the finale itself he doesn't even get to do anything except hold onto his precious elephants tusks which have been made into bombs, and will detonate if he lets go, so it's left to Jija Yanin to come out of nowhere and suddenly put the beat down on Crump while Jaa stands there defenceless getting beaten up by RZA. Perhaps it's Sahamongkolfilm's way of showing how they feel about Jaa breaking his contract.

Even simple aspects of the story don't make any sense. At the start we see Jaa with his elephant in the village teaching the local kids some moves, but it soon turns out he & his elephant are no longer welcomed like they once were, his elephant now being considered a nuisance and Muay Thai branded a waste of time. But that's it, this seemingly important aspect of the plot never appears again. Likewise, when Jaa finds the guy who he knows was responsible for stealing the elephant, he's dead in his office. At the same moment, two of the guys younger family members (one of which is Jija Yanin) also enter the office, and believing Jaa to be the murderer attempt to take him down. Not only do we never find out how he was killed, but over the course of the movie it seems to be forgotten that Yanin is actually connected to the guy who stole his elephant in the first place, and she & Jaa end up teaming up together! Top this all off with one of the most inconclusive final scenes you're likely to witness, and it's hard to be left feeling anything other than frustrated.

I could rant on about 'Tom Yum Goong 2' for a whole lot longer, but I won't. All I want and have come to expect from Thai action cinema is a paper thin plot compensated with bone crunching action which comes thick and fast. I wanted it to be a big stupid action movie just like its predecessor, but in the end it was only one of those things - stupid.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OpiumKungFuCracker

• Drunken Monk

• Gwai LO

• One Armed Boxer

TheGrimReaper
I got through watching this one today, and I'm not even sure were to start. I honestly feel that 'Tom Yum Goong 2' is the rather sad final nail in the coffin for Thai action cinema. I still hope that the Dan Chupong / Panna Ritikrai collaboration 'Judgement of an Assassin' is completed, but really, what was supposed to be an awesome action come-back to me was instead the bottom of a barrel being scraped.

It's a struggle to even call this a sequel, it's more of a re-boot. Events play out almost identically to the original - shady characters try to negotiate the sale of an elephant, Jaa refuses to sell, they steal it anyway in a truck, Jaa finds the person he left to look after it on the floor beaten. Even the motorbike scene comes in at almost the exact same moment. Story wise, there's not even a single ounce of originality here, and the original was hardly ground breaking plot wise.

There's a scene near the beginning of the first 'Tom Yum Goong' when Jaa first arrives in Australia, he gets into a taxi and the driver turns out to be a wanted criminal. They end up being chased by a police car in what's one of the most awfully produced scenes you can imagine - the dialogue is cringe worthy, the acting terrible, the special FX even worse, with the passengers throwing themselves from side to side in what's clearly a car which isn't even moving, and the editing is a complete mess. Thankfully that scene soon becomes a memory, as Jaa unleashes against the likes of Johnny Tri Nguyen, Lateef Crowder, Jon Foo, Nathan Jones, and a whole army of henchman in beautiful long takes and increasingly bone crunching confrontations.

The quality of the sequel instead takes that God awful car chase from the original, and stretches it over 100 minutes. This is no exaggeration. The cost of its laboured 2+ year production is there onscreen for every second of its run time, and it's a heavy cost indeed. From Jija Yanin getting pregnant in the middle of production and delaying the whole thing for almost a year, to the hasty decision to make it in 3D, to the inclusion of RZA as the villain of the piece. The result is a horrible mess.

We have fight scenes which are sloppily edited full of quick cuts, strange shots which don't make any sense, a motorbike chase which drags on to the point you'll find yourself slipping into a coma, some of the worse CGI you'll ever witness in an action movie, and in the middle of it all is poor Tony Jaa. Say what you like about him, as he's attracted a lot of naysayers in recent years, but I'm a Jaa fan. I confess to never bothering with 'Ong Bak 3', but the original, its sequel, and 'Tom Yum Goong' are all action classics in my opinion. Hard hitting fights, long takes, simple but decent enough plots, and say what you like about his acting ability, but he conveys what he needs to, even if that usually is blind rage.

In 'Tom Yum Goong 2' he's reduced to an expressionless lump of muscle, I'd dare say a plank of wood could give a better acting performance than he does here. He just seems so, I don't know what the word is...absent minded? If there was ever a more literal example of a performer phoning it in, then that's what Jaa seems to be doing here. Remember the anger he oozes when ripping through the restaurant in 'Tom Yum Goong' on the search for his elephant? Well here it's stolen again, but it's hard to believe he gives a crap.

Perhaps it's all down to the fact that his heart had already left Sahamongkolfilm Co., the makers of all of his movies so far. It was well reported that he'd fallen out with them, as well as with director Prachya Pinkaew some time after the original was released, and these behind the scenes conflicts all seem to show up on screen in the quality of the performances. A video was posted in this thread some time ago showing Jaa vs Crump, and everyone panicked and said it looked terrible, before it came to light that at some point during the movie he's supposed to be drugged, so the clip must be part of that scene. I can safely say it's not, the fight plays out exactly as was shown in the clip, and Jaa is not under the influence of any drugs.

Put simply he's visibly slower and uninspired here. It's the same moves over and over again, and he actually spends a disproportionate amount of the run time having his ass handed to him. In the finale itself he doesn't even get to do anything except hold onto his precious elephants tusks which have been made into bombs, and will detonate if he lets go, so it's left to Jija Yanin to come out of nowhere and suddenly put the beat down on Crump while Jaa stands there defenceless getting beaten up by RZA. Perhaps it's Sahamongkolfilm's way of showing how they feel about Jaa breaking his contract.

Even simple aspects of the story don't make any sense. At the start we see Jaa with his elephant in the village teaching the local kids some moves, but it soon turns out he & his elephant are no longer welcomed like they once were, his elephant now being considered a nuisance and Muay Thai branded a waste of time. But that's it, this seemingly important aspect of the plot never appears again. Likewise, when Jaa finds the guy who he knows was responsible for stealing the elephant, he's dead in his office. At the same moment, two of the guys younger family members (one of which is Jija Yanin) also enter the office, and believing Jaa to be the murderer attempt to take him down. Not only do we never find out how he was killed, but over the course of the movie it seems to be forgotten that Yanin is actually connected to the guy who stole his elephant in the first place, and she & Jaa end up teaming up together! Top this all off with one of the most inconclusive final scenes you're likely to witness, and it's hard to be left feeling anything other than frustrated.

I could rant on about 'Tom Yum Goong 2' for a whole lot longer, but I won't. All I want and have come to expect from Thai action cinema is a paper thin plot compensated with bone crunching action which comes thick and fast. I wanted it to be a big stupid action movie just like its predecessor, but in the end it was only one of those things - stupid.

+48762587265826582652

Mate, you've got excellent analytical skills here - I admire that and you put your heart out into depicting how bad this movie is. My thoughts exactly - I love the first two Ong Bak movies, and now after seeing TYG 2 I do think that the first one is way better than this.

Here everything was a mess, a complete mess and no fighting scene could save it. You receive a standing ovations from me over this post - keep 'em coming!!!

Cheers

Secret Executioner

Boy, you're being pretty harsh on that thing. That said, you have lots of interesting points - having not seen this film (nor the first one), I'm trying to imagine how bad it is and considering the (lack of) acting abilities of RZA in the little of Man With The Iron Fists I've seen, I guess the villain will NOT save this one - nor the action, seeing how bad it sounds (according to your description). Good thing Skin Trade is on its way, cause everything could have seemed lost for Jaa. :squigglemouth:

Anyway, where's my elephant ? :tongue:

Boy, you're being pretty harsh on that thing. That said, you have lots of interesting points - having not seen this film (nor the first one), I'm trying to imagine how bad it is and considering the (lack of) acting abilities of RZA in the little of Man With The Iron Fists I've seen, I guess the villain will NOT save this one - nor the action, seeing how bad it sounds (according to your description). Good thing Skin Trade is on its way, cause everything could have seemed lost for Jaa. :squigglemouth:

I watched it today got dvd from ebay...I refused to believe negative comments on various forums but it`s really garbage. It is even worse than ong bak 3 which was abysmal.

I`m not tony jaa hater I think tom yum 1 is maybe best martial arts flick made in long time..

Hasimir Fenring

Nah, he's not being harsh. It's AWFUL. For me, the actual action is pretty good, but too frequently the team are overshadowed by horrendous CG. I don't mind Jaa slowing down a little, as I imagine it's hard to find guys that can keep up with him at full pace. The fight in the burning room is a "brilliant" example of the CG...

Yeah, RZA was terrible, but so was everyone else. Held his own when he had to fight though. The problem I see with the acting, at least for the English-language scenes, is that they either hire people that don't speak it as their first language, thus they struggle to act in it, or they hire people that do speak it as their first language, but they can't act to save their lives.

I don't mind a nonsensical plot and risible acting if the action is great (Ong Bak fitted that perfectly), but they made the insane decision to make the film 3D and waste a talented cast under hundreds of dollars-worth of Asylum-level CG.

Secret Executioner

Tried to watch the trailer - holy shit, is that painful. Some scenes look weird (bad CGI background ?), the FX look awful and RZA seems really out of place here. I felt he wasn't trying to fit the character and went with some "pimp from a bad suburb" attitude (and considering the film's plot deals with a stolen elephant, I really do not get the connection).

For the record, I couldn't keep a straight face while typing the previous sentence - couldn't help but laugh when I mentionned the stolen elephant thing.

Also wanted to watch a fight scene (Tony Jaa, a Black guy and 2 Asian girls) and while the action isn't that bad (the Black guy is brutal and the girls seem able to kick some major butt), the background looks weird (seems like it was happening in a movie studio - not just filmed in one, but actually TAKING PLACE in the freaking studio) and it's really distracting.

Here's the scene in question:

Fb0t4TjBdXo

I just hope it's not some of the best parts in the movie, I'd hate to see the worst.

Part of the reason crappy 3D movies get made or why good movies get made into fake 3D.

Hollywood consider China/Asia (excluding Japan which is a market on to itself) a big market with continued growth potential outpacing the US market in a few years. They love 3D so that it why they do it. They eat that crap up.

Rest of the world follows, even if their CG and 3D is subpar compared to Hollywood.

I really had high hopes for this movie to be the return of the Tony Jaa from Ong Bak/The Protector. It just seems like another nail in the coffin of someone that could have been the next Jackie Chan or Jet Li. Who knows maybe it isn't too late to salvage something but the last few movies make it hard to believe there will be any change. Maybe he should talk to Evans about getting in on his next project.

IMDB shows Tony Jaa listed to be in Raid 3, along with Iko Uwais. To be directed by Gareth Evans

is it weird i just got a boner? :xd: yesus!! and the fact Scott Adkins "Demanded" to be in the 3rd! please please get Adkins and Jaa in 3!!!

Secret Executioner
Actually, it IS the best fight scene in the movie...

Ouch, that hurts...

Part of the reason crappy 3D movies get made or why good movies get made into fake 3D.

Hollywood consider China/Asia (excluding Japan which is a market on to itself) a big market with continued growth potential outpacing the US market in a few years. They love 3D so that it why they do it. They eat that crap up.

Rest of the world follows, even if their CG and 3D is subpar compared to Hollywood.

Read about this, China is (apparently) one of, if not THE best market for 3D flicks.

Agreed on the last comment, though even some American films (produced by Asylum and other small companies producing direct-to-DVD movies filmed in Western Europe) have really lousy CGI/3D.

I really had high hopes for this movie to be the return of the Tony Jaa from Ong Bak/The Protector. It just seems like another nail in the coffin of someone that could have been the next Jackie Chan or Jet Li. Who knows maybe it isn't too late to salvage something but the last few movies make it hard to believe there will be any change. Maybe he should talk to Evans about getting in on his next project.

Skin Trade doesn't look too bad. But again, it also has big guns like Dolph Lundgren.

Ouch, that hurts...

Read about this, China is (apparently) one of, if not THE best market for 3D flicks.

Agreed on the last comment, though even some American films (produced by Asylum and other small companies producing direct-to-DVD movies filmed in Western Europe) have really lousy CGI/3D.

Skin Trade doesn't look too bad. But again, it also has big guns like Dolph Lundgren.

Puncture wounds had that big gun in dolph and that was a train wreck

Secret Executioner
Puncture wounds had that big gun in dolph and that was a train wreck

Sure it's no guarantee the film will be good, but one can have high expectations considering the cast.

Hasimir Fenring
Actually, it IS the best fight scene in the movie...

Pretty much. All involved can go, but they're wasted throughout.

Does anybody know of any UK release for this yet? Also Ong Bak and the first Tom Yum Goong (Warrior King in UK) never got Blu Ray releases, will these ever come?

Hasimir Fenring
Does anybody know of any UK release for this yet? Also Ong Bak and the first Tom Yum Goong (Warrior King in UK) never got Blu Ray releases, will these ever come?

They were on Premier Asia (HKL's sister label) I think? They closed down long before BluRay took off, and I don't think Cineasia ever reissued the films. No idea who owns the rights at present.

They were on Premier Asia (HKL's sister label) I think? They closed down long before BluRay took off, and I don't think Cineasia ever reissued the films. No idea who owns the rights at present.

Yeah I have the Premier Asia dvds, Cineasia reissued Warrior King & Ong Bak just a few years ago but only on dvd. I was hoping that whoever picks up the sequel could bring out the original on blu ray too. I think Entertainment One had the rights to all those movies as they re-released the Bruce Lee films (yet again) after Cineasia had folded but the longer they're left I feel it's getting less likely the blu rays will ever come.

I got the HK Blu ray of Tom Yum Goong, its good and uncut. Ong Bak has only been release on Blu in the awful cut version with the rap soundtrack. Can't see it getting an uncut HD release anywhere, especially in the UK where the martial arts movie releases died a few years ago.

gwailosforever
I got the HK Blu ray of Tom Yum Goong, its good and uncut. Ong Bak has only been release on Blu in the awful cut version with the rap soundtrack. Can't see it getting an uncut HD release anywhere, especially in the UK where the martial arts movie releases died a few years ago.

The uncut original version of Ong Bak has been released on Blu-Ray somewhere in the world. I know this as I have a HD MKV rip of it which looks beautiful. Will try and find out where it was sourced from.

Hasimir Fenring
Yeah I have the Premier Asia dvds, Cineasia reissued Warrior King & Ong Bak just a few years ago but only on dvd. I was hoping that whoever picks up the sequel could bring out the original on blu ray too. I think Entertainment One had the rights to all those movies as they re-released the Bruce Lee films (yet again) after Cineasia had folded but the longer they're left I feel it's getting less likely the blu rays will ever come.

Cineasia folded? Bugger. I missed that. I've been hoping for years that somebody will unearth the interview Mike Leeder did with Hwang Jang Lee for the aborted Snake/DM reissues. I did hope Cineasia would, but I guess that's not on the cards now...

Secret Executioner
I got the HK Blu ray of Tom Yum Goong, its good and uncut.

What's the running time for the uncut version ? My French DVD copy has a running time of roughly 90 minutes (according to the package).