Tom Yum Goong 2 (2013)

OpiumKungFuCracker

...I was really excited to watch Yamada: The Samurai of Ayothaya after seeing the trailer, it ended up being a total boring bomb I really just have nothing good to say about it.

...TYG is a mess, it's barely watchable for me, and it was a movie I so wanted to like, that mess had nothing to do with Jaa. With OG2 Jaa had a vision of making one of the greatest MA movies of all time and sadly took on to much and dropped the ball(he's not the first person to go over budget on a movie), but for me the movie is far from the failure people make it out to be. A good amount of blame needs to go to Sahamongkol studio who came in and really half-ass threw the movie together, adding a character - the crow - that makes absolutely no sense to the narrative, then shoehorning a 3rd movie that Jaa had barely anything to do with. I still for the life of me can't figure out why they can't edit a movie, it's like they took 10 steps back after Ong Bak.

I agree with everything you had to say there sir

Couldnt make it through Yamada, total piece of crap

OB2 & 3 were so disjointed they felt somewhat like the producers were emulating Godfrey Ho, which I should have liked, but the novelty was not there, only the sad random events...which were poorly edited together

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OpiumKungFuCracker

• Drunken Monk

• Gwai LO

• One Armed Boxer

How much screen-time does JeeJa Yanin get?

The simple answer is "Not enough." She's in it here and there but, when she is, her fight style (or the choreography given to her) feels more "scrappy" than usual. She's constantly trying to run away while, occasionally, pulling out some great moves.

I do wish she could have been in it more but I will say it has me excited for "Chocolate 2." Her punches and kicks look much more powerful in "TYG2."

OpiumKungFuCracker
The simple answer is "Not enough." She's in it here and there but, when she is, her fight style (or the choreography given to her) feels more "scrappy" than usual. She's constantly trying to run away while, occasionally, pulling out some great moves.

I do wish she could have been in it more but I will say it has me excited for "Chocolate 2." Her punches and kicks look much more powerful in "TYG2."

Darn! If there's one action star I'd like to see break out more in movies, it be her. She's so damn likable.

Darn! If there's one action star I'd like to see break out more in movies, it be her. She's so damn likable.

Both her and Luxia Jiang deserve to break out, I think. Hell, put Luxia Jiang in "Chocolate 2" and I'll be happy!

TheGrimReaper
i have it on my HD..will peep tomorrow.

how was the rza? does he fight in it?

RZA was in for the final fight, but do not expect something groundbreaking from him - I think he should stick with the rhyme, not movies dive...

He is supposed to me a reall badass, the mastermind behind all this mayhem, but he act it out like a small time ganster, trying to make his big entrance to the world of money and power...

For me his acting was totally forgetable, and his fighting somehow bizzare and not matching the skills of Tony Jaa even by a shot from Dragunov sniper rifle...

As we have a sying in here: He still has a lot of bread to eat...

But check it out - you may find a different perspective than mine :)

Greetings

I watched this last night and I really enjoyed it, it's a typical Tony Jaa movie really in that the story is flimsy and a bit confusing at times but there's a lot of action and it's mostly very good. I'm a big fan of Jaa as a martial artist and his technique and athleticism are as good as ever so whenever he fights he looks amazing, everybody keeps mentioning that Crump looks good in this and I agree but i'd also add that performing alongside a guy as skillful as Jaa would bring out the best in any action star. Some of the camera angles don't really work and I think it suffered by trying the 3D stuff, the roof top jump and then rope climb by Jaa that's seen as a POV shot was a total waste when it would've been better to see the stunt in full like Jackie in Rumble in the Bronx but overall this didn't detract too much from the action for me. I think it's a movie that doesn't take itself too seriously (why do you keep losing your elephant? lol) and if it's watched in the same way there's a lot to enjoy. I'll definitely be picking up the blu-ray on release day.

I didn't like it. No one goes into watch a Tony Jaa movie for the plot. Pretty much every line in Tom Yum Goong 1/ The Protector could have been replaced with where's my elephant. I watched 1 the 1st time without any subs and still enjoyed it.

2 on the other hand has a bad story made even worse by trying to rationalize it. Then it has lots of other odd and ends that might have seemed cool during the planning stages that didn't help the movie. All the fighters are numbered. But where is the rest of the gang? Also, where does the numbering stop?

They used to advertise no wires and no stuntmen. But there were plenty of wires, and really bad CG. The end fight in Rising Phoenix with Jeeja Yanin was marred by terrible CG in what is obviously a green screened set. Do we really need to continue this trend? Also, Jeeja was severely under utilized. What happened to the kickass girl I saw in Chocolate? It seems like her movies are getting worse and worse with her doing less and less action work.

The Rza needs to stop trying to put himself into martial arts movies as some type of bad ass. Go take some acting classes, and do that well before trying to pass yourself off as some martial arts master.

I bought the original thai dvd which I received today and I just finished watching it. No eng subs but the plot was pretty easy to follow. I have to go with the majority of people here who were disappointed. Storywise it's what I expect from a thai movie but I thought the action would deliver but it didn't do it for me.

The bike chase scene went way too long and had some awful wirework and CG in some scenes. Seemed like most of the fight scenes involved multiple attackers so everything looked cluttered with too much happening on screen to follow. Jaa trying to fend off Jeeja and her sistar while trying to fight off Crump and his men.

The first fight between Jaa and Crump was the highlight of the movie but even that was ruined by seeing a nice exchange before it being ruined by some slow motion close up for the 3D shots. Jeeja was wasted in the movie for me as she seemed to always get beaten up. I would have preferred seeing her alone without her sister as it had me sometimes getting confused who was who when both were fighting.

What was interesting for me was seeing most of the fights with Jaa as it seemed like all the flashy stuff was done by all the multiple attackers while Jaa stayed pretty much grounded apart from doing the regular midair elbows and knees. There's no flashy acrobatics or double spinning kicks here from Jaa.

The warehouse fight had some really bad CG and it looked kind of silly with everyone being so close to the fire still fighting, jumping off flaming walls but not trying to get out of there!

Rematch with Jaa and Crump on the train track with all the spark effects looked kind of silly and had me shaking my head! By the time I got to the finale with Jaa vs Rza I had lost interest and the scene with the elephant and the big explosion was some of the worst CG I've seen!

I personally think Jaa tried to do too much here with all the action set pieces and that's where the movie fails. I'm not saying you shouldn't try something new but Jaa should have stuck to what he knows best. Keeping the action real and trying to do something different or creative with that.

I thought this was kinda interesting

PRACHYA PINKAEW: and then we had another surprise when Jija, our lead actress got pregnant and we couldn’t really shoot any action scenes with her in that condition, she’s integral to the film so we had to work around that situation too! It’s been a very interesting and exciting shoot both in front and behind the camera!

so interesting to know the movie took so long to come out because Jija got pregnant and had a baby.. Maybe old new to some of you but i thought it was interesting. Thats also why she is taking (took) a break from movies and after doing more research on the subject this is also why she didn't have a bigger role in this film

I thought this was kinda interesting

PRACHYA PINKAEW: and then we had another surprise when Jija, our lead actress got pregnant and we couldn’t really shoot any action scenes with her in that condition, she’s integral to the film so we had to work around that situation too! It’s been a very interesting and exciting shoot both in front and behind the camera!

so interesting to know the movie took so long to come out because Jija got pregnant and had a baby.. Maybe old new to some of you but i thought it was interesting. Thats also why she is taking (took) a break from movies and after doing more research on the subject this is also why she didn't have a bigger role in this film

Yeah, I think this is pretty much common knowledge now. The still did an okay job with her in the film.

Yeah, I think this is pretty much common knowledge now. The still did an okay job with her in the film.

a lot of people in this thread said how much they "wasted" her in this movie and used her wrong.. so this will just shed some light on why they didnt have a bigger role for her. Plus its nice to know shes still planning on making movies

I think it was mentioned earlier on here or somewhere else that Jija got pregnant and had a baby because I remember reading about it. It still doesn't take away from what they did shoot with her was slightly disappointing and could have been done better.

One Armed Boxer
who is the father?

This guy -

30206849-01_big.jpg

Scrappy action-film star Yanin "Jeeja" Vismitananda, who found herself pregnant while shooting "Tom Yum Goong 2" - on which her then-boyfriend Andrient Bowden was assistant director - has concluded that, if she can raise a child, anyone can.

"It still feels funny washing milk bottles," she giggled this week on Channel 3's "3 Zaaap" show. "I just can't believe I'm a mummy and doing all these things!"

Little Jee-drient - the name is a combination of his parents' - is three months old now. His unexpected appearance on the scene fortunately came as a delight and she and Bowden soon married. Jeeja assured mums-to-be that the toils of raising a child will get their figure back into shape quick enough. "After one month my weight was back to 47 kilos."

Before discovering she was pregnant Jeeja had signed to star in "Chocolate 2", so that's been waiting on the shelf. "I'll have to spend some time getting fit enough for it. Plus I had a caesarean, so I have to be extra careful with an action film."

The bad news, then, is that we'll have to wait at least two more years to see "Chocolate 2". The good news is that Jeeja never even considered quitting acting.

Source - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/life/Parenting-good-training-for-Jeeja-30206849.html

I didn't mind this movie, It was pretty much what I expected from it. Yeah there were some corny effects but I wasn't going to let that ruin it for me. If Tony Jaa makes another 50 action movies 48 of them will probably be in the same vein as this one, I prefer to enjoy them for what they are.

apparently, TYG2 will be released in the US on May 2nd, presumably limited theatrical. hopefully, the HK DVD will be out long before then, and with subs!

THE PROTECTOR 2, as it is being called in the US, will first come to Video on Demand and iTunes on March 27, then it will be a theatrical release date of May 2.

Here's the US poster...I have to admit, I was mixed on the film, but I kinda like this poster, if only they did away with the whole Muay Thai rope promo for Jaa.

the-protector-2-nuovo-poster.jpg

loved this film. lots of mindless violence. i found this along with ninja shadow of tear and special id my favourites of year so far. Hoping to see wrath of vajra as alot have made postive comments about it but have found ones that people like on here like grandmaster to be rubbish. Ipman final fight was also a bit boring